Little Miss Hispanic winner loses title in Del., because she's a "BLACK" anchor baby.

瀏覽次數:1 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Brad Meier

未讀,
2013年10月6日 凌晨4:21:242013/10/6
收件者:
WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) — The winner of the Little Miss Hispanic
Delaware contest has been stripped of her crown over concerns
that she is not Hispanic.

The News Journal of Wilmington (http://delonline.us/15AmTA6)
reported Saturday that 7-year-old Jakiya McKoy lost the title
two weeks ago.

Some critics of the decision say the move was made because McKoy
is black and not Latina enough, though organizers say it had
nothing to do with race.

"There is just like a baseline of disrespect to black women,"
Daniel Jose Older, who started a Change.org petition, told the
newspaper. "As Latinos, it's really important that we understand
what's going on with us and that we reclaim this girl as our
sister.

Pageant organizers require contestants to be at least 25 percent
Hispanic.

Maria Perez, president of Nuestras Raices (Our Roots), who
operates the Miss Chiquita Delaware pageant, says the
verification that the child brought did "not specify she was 25
percent Hispanic or Hispanic at all."

She was still allowed to participate in the pageant, but parents
of at least two other participants said they heard from McKoy or
through their children that the girl said she was not Hispanic.

"It's not about the skin color. It's not about anything else
like that, because as you know, Latinos come in all sizes,
flavors and colors. We all know that," Perez said. "We've had a
Dominican Miss Hispanic Delaware before, we've had a Mexican
Miss Hispanic Delaware before, we've had a French-Mexican, we've
had a Puerto Rican. You name it, we've had it all."

Perez said McKoy will be given the crown if she can prove that
she is 25 percent Hispanic.

Older said McKoy's grandmother was born in the Dominican
Republic and lived illegally in the United States before she
died. He said she therefore didn't have proof of where she came
from.

The child and her father live in Wilmington.

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/us/article/Little-Miss-Hispanic-
winner-loses-title-in-Del-4853232.php

0 則新訊息