Nothing but Net throttling download speeds before 2:00am?

Orman Malumba

Sep 11, 2003, 8:04:11 AM9/11/03
Anyone notice the same thing seems to be throttled at 516 kilobits per
second on the down side from 5:00am to 2:00am

Ric

Sep 11, 2003, 9:58:07 AM9/11/03
Seems to be throttled that way for me between 5am to 5am! Although, half the
time I can't even get to some sights. Does anyone know what's going on? I'm
waiting for an e-mail reply from tech support.

Ric

"Orman Malumba" <m...@there.com> wrote in message

Madonna

Sep 11, 2003, 10:47:22 AM9/11/03
"Ric" <ric...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bb%7b.69125$PD3.4...@nnrp1.uunet.ca...
> between 5am to 5am!

Do you mean it's not throttled ?

> "Orman Malumba" <m...@there.com> wrote in message news:5to0mv0iq2vhiefhh...@4ax.com...

> > from 5:00am to 2:00am

Do you mean it's not throttled only 3 hours per day ?

Ric

Sep 11, 2003, 7:48:46 PM9/11/03
"Madonna" <nos...@nospam.ca> wrote in message

I mean, I'm paying for the 3 MBps service but I've been unable to get speeds
above 500 kbps over the last several days. And it's not limited to a certain
time of day, it's all day. I've e-mailed tech support but have not yet heard
back from them. I hope this is a temporary problem with nutnbut.net because
I'd really like to stick with them, but at this level of service added to
their reluctance to initiate a real solution to the crappy usenet issue, I'm
starting to look at other providers...

Ric

Splitskull

Sep 11, 2003, 8:03:05 PM9/11/03
I got free news from 2 diff providers. 50+50MB/day is enuf for me, retention
is good.
Now if only they fix this speed/auth problems....

--

Splitskull

"Ric" <ric...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Dick Stroker

Sep 11, 2003, 10:19:41 PM9/11/03
I like how the bastards at nutnbut.net blame viruses for the slowdowns and
auth problems.

i believe the technical term for the slowdowns is "overselling".

"Splitskull" <som...@somewhere.com> wrote in message

Splitskull

Sep 11, 2003, 11:12:05 PM9/11/03
I give them 1-2 months... if is not fixed I switch to others.... There is
plenty of uncapped, 29.95/month dsl avail :)
But I hope they will improve.....again....It was good until a few weeks
ago....I hate switching ISPs but.....

--

Splitskull

"Dick Stroker" <dstr...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Alexander Fong

Sep 12, 2003, 3:09:31 AM9/12/03
On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Ric wrote:

> I mean, I'm paying for the 3 MBps service but I've been unable to get speeds
> above 500 kbps over the last several days. And it's not limited to a certain
> time of day, it's all day. I've e-mailed tech support but have not yet heard
> back from them. I hope this is a temporary problem with nutnbut.net because
> I'd really like to stick with them, but at this level of service added to
> their reluctance to initiate a real solution to the crappy usenet issue, I'm
> starting to look at other providers...

They're most likely getting blasted by new variants of the Blaster and
Welchia worm. This is what happens when there isn't such a thing as
"corporate responsibility".

Alexander Fong ap_fong (put @ here, .. = .) alcor..concordia..ca
Men at some time are masters of their fates.
-Shakespeare

Orman Malumba

Sep 12, 2003, 6:56:26 AM9/12/03
Not likely sounds most likely.
"Alexander Fong" <ap_...@takeoff.alcor.ffosihtekat.concordia.caboom> wrote
in message

TBA

Sep 12, 2003, 9:40:57 AM9/12/03
Judging by the speeds tests on dsl reports the date September the first 2003
seems to ring a bell.

Madonna

Sep 12, 2003, 5:08:51 PM9/12/03

"Splitskull" <som...@somewhere.com> wrote in message news:YPa8b.69476$PD3.4...@nnrp1.uunet.ca...

> I give them 1-2 months... if is not fixed I switch to others.... There is
> plenty of uncapped, 29.95/month dsl avail :)
> But I hope they will improve.....again....It was good until a few weeks
> ago....I hate switching ISPs but.....

The network isn't theirs. They resell nerdsonline (used to resell golden) connectivity
so all they can do is ask them to fix the problem or start reselling someone else.

IntX

Sep 13, 2003, 1:39:32 PM9/13/03
"Splitskull" <som...@somewhere.com> wrote in

> I got free news from 2 diff providers. 50+50MB/day is enuf for me,
> retention is good.
> Now if only they fix this speed/auth problems....

which 2?

Splitskull

Sep 13, 2003, 5:48:17 PM9/13/03
terranews and astra"something".de :)

--

Splitskull

"IntX" <1ubax...@sneakemail.com> wrote in message

splice

Sep 22, 2003, 6:19:24 PM9/22/03
On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 03:09:31 -0400, Alexander Fong wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Ric wrote:
>
>> I mean, I'm paying for the 3 MBps service but I've been unable to get speeds
>> above 500 kbps over the last several days. And it's not limited to a certain
>> time of day, it's all day. I've e-mailed tech support but have not yet heard
>> back from them. I hope this is a temporary problem with nutnbut.net because
>> I'd really like to stick with them, but at this level of service added to
>> their reluctance to initiate a real solution to the crappy usenet issue, I'm
>> starting to look at other providers...
>
> They're most likely getting blasted by new variants of the Blaster and
> Welchia worm. This is what happens when there isn't such a thing as
> "corporate responsibility".

Being affected by the same problem, here's the story(ies) given to me.
Just so you know, I'm a member of Hyperfast.ca, which resells
nutnbut.net. Noticed the slow speeds, so I checked my modem, saw it was
syncing at the right speed, pings to dslagg.nerdsonline.com (gateway I go
through) were weird. Went from 3 seconds down to 2, 1, .8, .5, .3, .1,
then back to 3 and on again. Called nutnbut.net, as hyperfast.ca has NO
phone support (they have a phone number which usually doesn't get
answered, and forwards to a VM saying to not leave a message as the VM
doesn't work properly). The lady I got was adamant in her effort to pass
the buck down to hyperfast.ca, didn't want to listen to my story, didn't
want to give me any info. I turned my modem on/off, speeds were back and
pings were normal again. Weird.

The day after, same problem, but pings are normal. Just the speed sucks. I
go through the rigmarole again, resync, no improvement. I fire off an
email to my provider. They reply some days later with a story about a
cisco firmware update for the blaster worm that screwed things up and that
they're working with cisco to fix the problem. I do a double-take, search
the net, find absolutely nothing about such a firmware update or problems
associated with it. I find a best practices document from cisco on
mitigating the effects of blaster, which of course uses ACLs and so on, no
mention of a firmware update. I reply to my provider asking more details,
saying I can't find anything about that supposed firmware update, point
them to the page I found at cisco. Next day, I'm tired of waiting for them
to reply again. I phone nutnbut.net again.

I explain the situation. I ask about the speed problems. I get told
they're currently 'at capacity' and throttled everyone until they get a
new router. Oh, how different from the email I got from my ISP. Wonder why
they told me that about the firmware update and everything...

Last Thursday, I get an email from my ISP. Know what? No comments at all
on the blaster firmware update, just a note saying that the new router is
in, they only need to test and configure it and service would be back
'shortly'.

Today, the speed is still at it's 60-70kb/s peak. I send another email to
my ISP. It's now been over 2 weeks that I'm paying for 3mbit and getting
half the speed of a 1mbit connection. Needless to say, I'm pissed.
Difficult to say if it's because of the awful speed or the total lack of
any notices anywhere (their web site, nutnbut.net's website, or
nerdsonline (which of course redirects to nerdsonsite, an computer
service company). Actually, I just went and checked right now. My ISP's
web site isn't responding, and nutnbut.net doesn't even seem to have a
server status section. nerdsonsite, of course, has tons of information
about to request a computer service from them, but I see nothing about
them selling DSL access, and of course no server status page.

There's also a funny story involving nerdsonsite, me trying to explain
that I don't want a service from them, I just want info on the speed
problems, a 3 hour callback time and a few days before I get a message on
my answering machine.

From what I see, there was a problem, a wide-sweeping change was put into
effect without the admins bothering to tell the clients, and everyone is
wondering what's going on. For myself, I hope I got the real story and
that they finish configuring the @%@#%^@ router. I mean, how many days can
you spend configuring interfaces, routing and encapsulation?

splice

splice

Sep 22, 2003, 6:36:01 PM9/22/03
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 22:19:24 +0000, splice wrote:

> Last Thursday, I get an email from my ISP. Know what? No comments at all
> on the blaster firmware update, just a note saying that the new router is
> in, they only need to test and configure it and service would be back
> 'shortly'.

And of course, just to get the story straight, I just called nutnbut.net.
Nope, the router's not in, and they have no idea why my current ISP
would think so. So, uh... just keep waiting. No ETA.

Just great.

splice

Ric

Sep 22, 2003, 10:31:58 PM9/22/03

"splice" <spl...@nonono.spum.com> wrote in message

Nothing but net doesn't believe in communicating with their customers. I
believe they used to resell golden.net and when they switched there was no
advanced warning. After being unable to connect for half a day, I finally
called support and was told all the server names had changed. Would have
been nice if they told us...

I'm pretty fed up with this. When I called last week they just said they
throttled the speeds to improve connectivity and they were working on it and
"it shouldn't be much longer". That may be the case with my account there
too... I'm going to give them another week to fix this.

Ric

Madonna

Sep 23, 2003, 2:42:20 PM9/23/03

"Tony Reed" <tr...@altern.org> wrote in message news:O5Lbb.3456$yD1.4...@news20.bellglobal.com...
> In article <pan.2003.09.22...@nonono.spum.com>,
> splice <spl...@nonono.spum.com> wrote:
>
> : Being affected by the same problem, here's the story(ies) given to me.
> : Just so you know,
> [ ... ]
>
> Looks to me like you get what you pay for with these dinky little
> companies.

Nutnbut.net gave a cap-free service and local dial up while most other ISPs didn't.

But...
Info: They never had a decent web site, unless you consider the weather in London and flash animation relevant.
Email: Seeing the "professional" state of the web site, I stuck with Hotmail for email purposes. My NBN mailbox has never been
spammed!
News: sucks real bad these days, many recent (1 day old) can.internet.highspeed posts are missing. (I can see the missing at
news.astraweb.com)
Web: surfing during the day is sloooooooooow.
Ftp: 50k/s, used to be 2.2x that speed

But that's nbn, I don't know about Hyperslow.ca

Ric

Sep 23, 2003, 7:27:33 PM9/23/03

"Madonna" <nos...@nospam.ca> wrote in message

How do you like astraweb?

NBN was great when I started. Consistently got as close to the 3 MBps
threshold as you could reasonably expect (around 2.8 usually). When they
were with ispnews I was pleasantly surprised by the great usenet, which
sucks now. And yes, looking at their website I didn't ever intend to rely on
them for my mail either. However, for what I wanted, a fast reliable
connection, they were great. And that appears to have come to an end... :(

I'm thinking of switching to Cybernet. Can anyone here comment on their
connection speed/reliability both in the past and recently? They also seem
to have a decent usenet provider with daily bitcaps, but probably fine for
my needs. I can always supplant that with an astraweb account if I need
more.

Ric

Madonna

Sep 23, 2003, 9:37:49 PM9/23/03

"Ric" <riii...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:GF4cb.74306$PD3.4...@nnrp1.uunet.ca...

> How do you like astraweb?

I'm still using the nutnbut as my main server (I shouldn't but I'm lazy),
but I read all the missing stuff in astraweb. So far so good.
Haven't really tried binaries.

I'm trying out thunderbird, newsbin, and XNews to see which will help
with this problem. Of course they're completely different interfaces,
newsbin is binary oriented,
thunderbird looks platform independent so the widgets look uglier than Outlook Express,
XNews has an annoying multi window interface instead of the 3-pane view,

Tony

May 16, 2022, 5:41:54 PM5/16/22
There's no gettin' around it Nothing but Net is nothing but shit. I've
had a gut fulla their F-R-O-G throttle boxes and their news server is
busted again and missing 90 percent of the threads of my dick or wiener.