Bell ip resets

GaryT

Dec 29, 2006, 1:42:21 PM12/29/06
just noticed that bell is resetting my ip address each hour. Is there
mechanism to limit bandwidth or server usage? is this a common
practice?

JF Mezei

Dec 29, 2006, 3:17:52 PM12/29/06

What do you mean "resetting my ip address" ?

Do you mean that your PPPoE session gets disconnected and then reconnects ?
If that is the case, it could be a problem between your modem and the
DSLAM, or it could be problems with some Bell router that causes PPPoE
sessions to timeout. I doubt that Bell would purposefully disconnect PPPoE
sessions at such a frequency.

You need to log the exact time this is happening to find out if it happens
at fixed xx minutes intervals or whether ther are variations in it.

GaryT

Dec 29, 2006, 4:36:15 PM12/29/06

I mean that they change the ip address seen by the outside world at
about 10 minutes past the hour every hour. No disconnects just a new
ip address is being assigned

Tony

Dec 29, 2006, 6:47:22 PM12/29/06
Before when sympatico capped everyone there was some bullshit about 2
days. It worked this way back then if you were under your caps the last 2
days of the month carried over to the next month to help put you over the
cap but if you were already over the cap for the month the last 2 days
remained on the same month. This is how i figure they'll do it this time.
Exactly the same as last time. Last time they also overstated bandwidth
for virtually everyone.

Tony

Dec 29, 2006, 6:51:43 PM12/29/06
Everything except business dsl was capped last time but business dsl was a
lot more than now... about the only thing to ever fall in price like the rest
of the world.

Tony

Dec 29, 2006, 7:27:40 PM12/29/06
I see they've rolled my ip address. It was the same all month until
today. I'll keep an eye on the pig to access what the hell is going on.

GaryT

Dec 29, 2006, 8:16:15 PM12/29/06
On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 16:36:15 -0500, GaryT <dig...@nospam.home.com>
wrote:

if you are downloading something when they change the ip, it kills the
download and you need to restart. major pain when downloading
podcasts. nice of them to say that they are doing this...not

Dick Johnson

Dec 29, 2006, 10:58:37 PM12/29/06

nobody has ever mentioned bell doing this ever, there is likely a
problem with your line or your computer or router.

call tech support instead of bitching that big bad bell is trying to
ruin your downloading.

GaryT

Dec 30, 2006, 12:15:10 AM12/30/06
On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 22:58:37 -0500, Dick Johnson <djoh...@gmail.com>
wrote:

i intend to. just wondering if anyboby else was having a similar issue
before i call. i would be quite happy if the problem is at my end then
i can correct it. there's a first time for everything though

Doug Mitton

Dec 30, 2006, 9:04:28 AM12/30/06
GaryT <dig...@nospam.home.com> wrote:

I have been having similar problems for about 2+ months now ... along
with loss of sync (DSL light flashes for a few seconds evry few
minutes).

I have called tech support several times and have had the field tech
here at least 4 times. It seems they do someting in the office that
resolves it for 1-2 weeks at a time and then its back again.

It has been really bad since the week before Christmas.

They have done all (?) the physical things ... wiring check, changed
modem twice, re-wired, etc.

I have been a Sympatico DSL customer since 2000 and normally I keep an
IP address for weeks at a time. Lately if I get 2 days I'm surprised.

(I run a highly utilized Linux system and I monitor all my up and
connection times pretty closely.)

Keep us posted as to you progress with this problem.

GaryT

Dec 30, 2006, 12:10:11 PM12/30/06
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 09:04:28 -0500, Doug Mitton
<doug_...@hotmail.x.com> wrote:

>GaryT <dig...@nospam.home.com> wrote:
>
>>just noticed that bell is resetting my ip address each hour. Is there
>>mechanism to limit bandwidth or server usage? is this a common
>>practice?
>
>I have been having similar problems for about 2+ months now ... along
>with loss of sync (DSL light flashes for a few seconds evry few
>minutes).
>
>I have called tech support several times and have had the field tech
>here at least 4 times. It seems they do someting in the office that
>resolves it for 1-2 weeks at a time and then its back again.
>
>It has been really bad since the week before Christmas.
>
>They have done all (?) the physical things ... wiring check, changed
>modem twice, re-wired, etc.
>
>I have been a Sympatico DSL customer since 2000 and normally I keep an
>IP address for weeks at a time. Lately if I get 2 days I'm surprised.
>
>(I run a highly utilized Linux system and I monitor all my up and
>connection times pretty closely.)
>
>Keep us posted as to you progress with this problem.
>
>--

Just got off the phone with them. They said this is not being done at
their end. They say they reset about once a day. They think it is my
router (linlsys wrv54g) and suggested I call linksys. They asked about
my dsl modem model as well (slipstream 5360). I plan to check out
linksys web site to see if there is anything there about this. I don't
see anything obvious in the router setting although I did change the
clock setting to manual from auto thinking maybe the router is
searching once an hour for a time server and this causes the problem.
Long shot though. One an hour the internet led on the router turns
orange for about 1-2 seconds then goes green. This coincides with the
ip reset.

I have been with them from the beginning (early 90s I believe) and
been quite happy with the service. Generally very reliable for me.
Just noticed this reset starting about a month ago and cannot recall
any changes that I made. Hope they are right about the router. Don't
even mind replacing it if it would solve the problem.

Tony

Dec 30, 2006, 12:14:28 PM12/30/06
It has nothing to do with your router. It sounds like you must have a
cuckoo clock in the house somewhere.

Some Guy

Dec 30, 2006, 1:53:56 PM12/30/06
GaryT wrote:

> just noticed that bell is resetting my ip address each hour.

No mention of any issue like that on DLSreports Sympatico forum:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sympat

Suggest you browse and / or post here regarding your linlsys wrv54g
router:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/linksys

Doug Mitton

Dec 30, 2006, 4:05:36 PM12/30/06
GaryT <dig...@nospam.home.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 09:04:28 -0500, Doug Mitton
><doug_...@hotmail.x.com> wrote:
>
>>GaryT <dig...@nospam.home.com> wrote:
>>
>>>just noticed that bell is resetting my ip address each hour. Is there
>>>mechanism to limit bandwidth or server usage? is this a common
>>>practice?
>>
>>I have been having similar problems for about 2+ months now ... along
>>with loss of sync (DSL light flashes for a few seconds evry few
>>minutes).
>>
>>I have called tech support several times and have had the field tech
>>here at least 4 times. It seems they do someting in the office that
>>resolves it for 1-2 weeks at a time and then its back again.
>>
>>It has been really bad since the week before Christmas.
>>
>>They have done all (?) the physical things ... wiring check, changed
>>modem twice, re-wired, etc.
>>
>>I have been a Sympatico DSL customer since 2000 and normally I keep an
>>IP address for weeks at a time. Lately if I get 2 days I'm surprised.
>>
>>(I run a highly utilized Linux system and I monitor all my up and
>>connection times pretty closely.)
>>
>>Keep us posted as to you progress with this problem.
>>

>Just got off the phone with them. They said this is not being done at
>their end. They say they reset about once a day. They think it is my
>router (linlsys wrv54g) and suggested I call linksys. They asked about
>my dsl modem model as well (slipstream 5360). I plan to check out
>linksys web site to see if there is anything there about this. I don't
>see anything obvious in the router setting although I did change the
>clock setting to manual from auto thinking maybe the router is
>searching once an hour for a time server and this causes the problem.
>Long shot though. One an hour the internet led on the router turns
>orange for about 1-2 seconds then goes green. This coincides with the
>ip reset.
>
>I have been with them from the beginning (early 90s I believe) and
>been quite happy with the service. Generally very reliable for me.
>Just noticed this reset starting about a month ago and cannot recall
>any changes that I made. Hope they are right about the router. Don't
>even mind replacing it if it would solve the problem.

This sounds a LOT like my problem. In about 5 calls to Tech Support
(2 to 2nd level) and 4 (?) visit by the field tech there has been no
mention of a once-per-day reset. Also, my DSL is connected directly
to my network card and not a Linksys router.

I get the same blinking DSL LED but the last 2 days it is a lot more
frequent than once per hour ... its more like every 15 min right now.
I've already had 3 IP's today alone. I have increased my pppoe
timeout so that I don't get a new IP on every DSL LED flicker ... only
on a really long one.

From Fall of 2000 until Oct 2006 I had an Alcatel Speed Touch Home
modem. The first time the tech came to the house he swapped me for a
Siemens SpeedStream 6520. He then swapped it again on his second
visit as he thought it was getting a little hot.

I am starting to look at alternatives to DSL ... I am paying a lot for
a high speed connection and I guess I should be able to expect some
reliability.

Good luck! I hope OUR problems get resolved.

GaryT

Dec 30, 2006, 4:31:06 PM12/30/06
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 16:05:36 -0500, Doug Mitton
<doug_...@hotmail.x.com> wrote:

Success (I hope).

I noticed that whenever I reboot my computer, the IP is reset (linksys
led glows orange again). I cleared and re-entered all the IP info in
the computer as well as upgraded the linksys firmware. The router is a
few years old and never been reflashed. Now a computer reboot does not
reset the IP and I have gone past the 1 hour mark without an IP reset.
Maybe the bell guy was right about the router. Still too early to
tell. Unfortunately this doesn't likely help you since you don't have
a router. Interesting that your problem started a few months ago. I
know that I have had the problem for a month but it may be longer...I
just wasn't doing any downloads were I would have noticed. Wonder if
there were changes in the bell network that inadvertantly trigers this
behaviour in some equipment. Have you tried inserting a router between
your computer and the modem?

JF Mezei

Dec 30, 2006, 6:14:44 PM12/30/06
GaryT wrote:
> Just got off the phone with them. They said this is not being done at
> their end. They say they reset about once a day. They think it is my
> router (linlsys wrv54g) and suggested I call linksys.

Can't an ISP inquire from the DSLAM how long the sync has been up for ?

Seems to me that the most important question here is whether sync at the
modem level is constant or intermittant. If it is constant, then the
problem would be at the PPPoE level (aka: router). But if the sync is lost
every now and then, then you can't blame the router since the router cannot
do anything when sync is lost.

Tony

Dec 30, 2006, 6:26:32 PM12/30/06
The problem is the modem. They swapped the speedtouch for a piece of
junk. There was or is a similar problem on dsl reports about someone
losing synch every 5 minutes exactly on the second.

Doug Mitton

Dec 31, 2006, 10:33:56 AM12/31/06
GaryT <dig...@nospam.home.com> wrote:

This new modem (Siemens Speedstream 6520) does both router and bridged
mode. I have router mode configured BUT I'm using bridged mode only.
I use my Linux machine as my router/firewall for the rest of the
house.

So, technically I have a router, its just that I don't have to use the
router functionality. Its the modem itself that is disconnecting from
Sympatico's network so I don't think its anything on my side. At the
least nothing has changed inside my house except for what the field
tech has changed.

I've now had the same IP address since 8pm last night. And then I
restarted the modem myself that time as on the last Sympatico
reconnect (at 7:30pm) I got a 70.x.x.x IP address and I can't access
my web page when I have an address in that range.

Glad to hear you got your issue resolved. Maybe 2007 will be good for
me! :-)

Happy New Year!

Tony

Dec 31, 2006, 11:02:46 AM12/31/06
I've been downloading like a demon ever since i read what you said. No my ip
address is still the same after it changed once. I'm sure i'm over 30
gigabytes for the month of december now after downloading about 10 gigabytes
off of easynews.nl today. I don't read bandwidth counters or the like. That
is one weasel of a news server but i figured the thing out just before it
will disappear tonight.

Tony

Dec 31, 2006, 11:16:59 AM12/31/06
That is a good idea. The speedstream line of modems are notorious for
running too hot. By putting the modem in bridge mode rather than router
mode will knock a few degrees of heat off the old 6520.

Tony

Dec 31, 2006, 11:18:40 AM12/31/06
I heard there was trouble a while back with that ip address starting with
70 in Ottawa.

GaryT

Dec 31, 2006, 12:06:42 PM12/31/06
On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 10:33:56 -0500, Doug Mitton
<doug_...@hotmail.x.com> wrote:

I still have the same ip address this morning; so, looks like
upgrading the firmware on the router solved the problem. Seems like my
router must have somehow been requesting a new ip address or a
disconnect from the modem. This was happening once an hour and upon
computer reboot. Could it be something that is being sent from your
Linux router setup to the modem causing the modem to disconnect?
Anyway good luck with you problem; I know how frustrating this can be
and Happy New Year too.

JF Mezei

Dec 31, 2006, 6:00:33 PM12/31/06
Doug Mitton wrote:
> This new modem (Siemens Speedstream 6520) does both router and bridged
> mode. I have router mode configured BUT I'm using bridged mode only.
> I use my Linux machine as my router/firewall for the rest of the
> house.

Router/firewall is inconsequential. What is important here is who does the
PPPoE session establishement and conversion of TCPIP packets to/from PPPoE
packets.

It is that device which maintains a session with your ISP and obtains an IP
and other information from the isp during session establishement.

> router functionality. Its the modem itself that is disconnecting from
> Sympatico's network so I don't think its anything on my side.

The modem does not connect to Sympatico. The modem connects to the DSLAM to
establish sync and then fowards all packets to an ATM destination (vpi=0
vci=35 in bell canada territory).

It is the device which handles PPPoE which makes the connection to
Sympatico. (through the modem).

These distinctions are important to explain because when people show up
with problems, unless we know what does what, we can't help them debug an
issue.

chuckcar

Jan 1, 2007, 12:59:45 AM1/1/07
GaryT <dig...@nospam.home.com> wrote in

> just noticed that bell is resetting my ip address each hour. Is there
> mechanism to limit bandwidth or server usage? is this a common
> practice?

I along with several other people here (you can extrapolate this) are
having problems keeping connections. It sounds like you are at least
getting a connection. This isn't always the case and has happened
before. Try seeing what kind of service you get between 6:00 p.m. and
11:00 p.m.. It seems worst then.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Madonna