Scholarly Kitchen post that may be of interest (Revoking a Creative Commons license)

Erin Clary

May 19, 2022, 12:04:51 PM5/19/22
to can...@googlegroups.com

Good morning, all! Today’s Scholarly Kitchen post may be of interest to some: Q: Can You Revoke a Creative Commons License? A: No. Er… Sort Of? Maybe?

We struggled with the same question at FRDR recently when 2 depositors wanted to change their license soon after we published the datasets – one from CC0 -> CC-BY (more restrictive), and the other from CC-BY to CC0 (less restrictive). In the end, we drew the same conclusion (the authors may be able to grant more rights, but cannot take rights away).

I owe many thanks to Beth Knazook, Ève Paquette-Bigras, and all who attended the Curation Expert Group’s “Curation Corner” virtual meetup at the end of February, where we started to discuss copyright, intellectual property rights, and licenses for data and software. This is hopefully a topic we can engage more with soon!

Sincerely,

Erin

---

Erin Clary