Using CaseInstanceId in BPMN flow

Akshay Garg

Mar 7, 2016, 12:20:26 AM3/7/16
to camunda BPM users
Is it safe to use CaseInstanceId in BPMN flow? We require a Human readable Id associated with task not UUID. Since auto generated keys from DB is not recommended to use in production environment.

We are planning to set CaseInstanceId with some number and query tasks using CaseInstanceId.

thorben....@camunda.com

Mar 7, 2016, 3:17:10 AM3/7/16
to camunda BPM users
Hi,

The business key is the attribute that is supposed to be used to associate a symbolic identifier with a process instance. Is there a specific reason you can't use that? I think you can use caseInstanceId as well, but it is supposed to link to a CMMN case instance.

Cheers,
Thorben

Akshay Garg

Mar 11, 2016, 12:36:48 AM3/11/16
to camunda BPM users
Thanks Thorben.

My use case is to get list of tasks assigned to a user and response should contain business key. There is a REST API to get list of tasks but response does not contain business key.
Though I can achieve that using couple of REST calls like get list of tasks, fetch process instance id from response, then calls api again to get business key of that process instance. It looks easy if number of active tasks are small but my system will have thousands of active tasks at any point of time.
With Case Instance Id, I can achieve this with just one api call.

I know this approach is not ideal and I am open for any suggestions.

Also please do let me know if it is possible to get business key at task level.