A fluent contribution to camunda.org

Martin Schimak

Apr 8, 2013, 8:57:33 AM4/8/13
to camunda...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We very much enjoyed your launch party last week in Berlin! And now, back in cold and snowy Vienna, we don't want to be sucked into winter depressive disorder again :-), but rather publicly propose via the group what we were informally already chatting about:

We would like to contribute a project - no, actually two projects - to the camunda.org incubation space. Our project is already available on github since several months and you can find it currently here:

It's an emerging little library aiming at easing tests when developing process applications. We reach out to
  • ease the readability and maintainability of process model tests and make the writing of process model tests more fluent and more fun
  • make it even easier to mock the services available to a process instance than it already is
For that purpose, you can - aspect 1 - write FEST assertions, e.g. like
assertThat(processInstance).isWaitingAt("review");
assertThat(task).isAssignedTo("piggie");
but you can also - aspect 2 - query and drive "the process" via a somewhat more fluent API than currently available, e.g. like
processInstance.task().complete("approved", true);
You can find a bit more documentation of what's currently possible in the README.md of the github project.

We are currently working to completely separate these two independent aspects and would like to contribute them into the camunda.org incubation space, e.g. as

Project 1) camunda-bpm-fluent-tests
Project 2) camunda-bpm-fluent-engine-api

Looking forward to feedback from the camunda BPM community!

Many wishes,
Martin Schimak &
Rafael Cordones

Daniel Meyer

Apr 8, 2013, 10:29:46 AM4/8/13
to camunda...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin & Rafael,

Having seen the library progress over the last weeks, I can only repeat what I have said already: this is truly awesome stuff!
I am really looking forward to moving this over to the incubation space and I am keen to see how people will use it.

As a update for everyone:
We have an incubation space for new, interesting projects that are not part of the core project yet and are not supported commercially in the enterprise distribution.
This contribution by plexiti constitutes the first addition to the incubation space.

For more details, read the README inside the incubation space.

As soon as we have moved over Martin & Rafael's code, I will write a blogpost announcing the incubation space and spotlighting this initial contribution.

Cheers,
Daniel

rafael.cordones

Apr 8, 2013, 4:10:15 PM4/8/13
to camunda...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

On Monday, April 8, 2013 4:29:46 PM UTC+2, Daniel Meyer wrote:
Hi Martin & Rafael,

Having seen the library progress over the last weeks, I can only repeat what I have said already: this is truly awesome stuff!

Thanks!

I am really looking forward to moving this over to the incubation space and I am keen to see how people will use it.

We too! :-)

We have already started working on separating the two aspects that we mentioned in our previous e-mail:

As you can see on the GitHub repo, there is a third maven module called camunda-bpm-fluent-integration-tests. This module contains the integration tests that validate both of the aforementioned components. The reason for creating this extra module is twofold: 1) to avoid circular maven test dependencies between the two components (since the tests use both of them) and 2) they are *integration* tests and not *unit* tests and therefore it also makes sense to have those tests in their own maven component.

Looking forward to your and the community's feedback!

Rafael Cordones &
Martin Schimak