Re: [SARA] and...I am back

Michiel Klaassen

Apr 15, 2022, 12:56:28 PM4/15/22
to sara-list, camras-forum
Hi Job,
Good to see you again and active. Your non radio astronomy remarks keep amazing me also.

I noticed from another post that you also wanted to capture a pulsar sometime.
Well I could help you with that.
If you want, you could do the following.
-Measure only on a sparkling clear day; no clouds and intense blue sky.
-Track the B029+54 pulsar around the culmination.
-Check with sdr# set to 2MSps and around 1420MHz if there is RFI to be seen. If yes; move the frequency up or down to find a quiet range.
  Of course do not leave your pass band. It will be very quiet there, but you receive no pulsar signal also.
-Download the rtl_sdr tools (from inet or parac.eu)
-Make a bat file with the instructions;
  rtl_sdr.exe -s 2e6 -f 1419.0e6 -n 6e8 dump01.bin
     when started, it will write an I&Q file onto your harddisk directory.
     see the website for an explanation of the instructions.
-Analyse the file with the Windows 3pt tools, or send the file to me.
-If you analyse the file yourself, you need the period time of the pulsar at that moment. You can calculate that by using the 2pc windows software which also can be downloaded.

Not included is that you need a lot of patience; you have to acquire that from elsewhere.
Also not included is a guaranteed success.

Michiel
parac.eu

On Fri, Apr 15, 2022 at 3:52 PM Job Geheniau <jobge...@gmail.com> wrote:
And.... I am BACK!
Two things:
  1. I have had complex abdominal surgery due to recurring cancer. Don't panic, I will be fine. Lymph nodes removed and some chemo or radiation soon and I can continue. Now recovering from that operation and need to take it easy for 2 months. So plenty of time for radio astronomy.
  2. Just before the operation, the AZ engine broke off the rotor (why? I really don't know the axle was broken) I was able to order a new one and placed it yesterday with some pain and effort. After calibration, JRT (Job's Radio Telescope) works SUPER again. I'm going to delve again into HVC (High Velocity Clouds) and creating an image of Cygnus X and Cassiopeia A. As a test proof, Deneb in HI, dark 1 hour, Deneb 3 minutes.
Job Geheniau
The Netherlands

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/d8782eb9-cbc1-4acc-bd43-7176f287d0bcn%40googlegroups.com.