Re: [SARA] Re: Final results NML Cygni with JRT (Job's Radio Telescope) - small telescope

Michiel Klaassen

Jan 11, 2022, 10:59:17 AM1/11/22
to sara-list, camras-forum
Hi Job,
Your data again look promising, but just as Eduard said, have you also measured off source.
I once captured NML cygn also by just a drift measurement; you see a lot of 'off target' results in graph 5 of

Another thing is that the vlsr of the mean peak is around 5km/s. The earth is in the -4 range toward the source now, so the resulting velocity should be around 1 km/s and not 25.
Another source for obtaining vlsr is
Here the Sao Giao telescope can also be chosen, but in your case you can select Effelsberg or Jodrell bank.
I also have a backup when these sources are down, and that is
But that is a beta version; not tested extensively yet.

Regards
Michiel

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 12:34 PM Eduard Mol <eddiem...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Job,

Nice report!

Good to see you are getting repeatable results. The fact that you are getting slightly different velocities each time is a bit strange indeed. In your report you mentioned that there were some difficulties with the Vlsr calculation. Have you tried using a Vlsr calculator like this one from ATNF (https://www.narrabri.atnf.csiro.au/observing/obstools/velo.html)?
Alternatively you could repeat the observations a few times with the dish pointed away from NML Cyg. If you can demonstrate that the signal is only detected when the dish is pointed at NML Cyg and not when it is pointed at other points in the sky, then you can be quite certain that it is indeed from NML Cyg.

Good luck!

Eduard

On Sunday, 9 January 2022 at 23:10:57 UTC+1 jobge...@gmail.com wrote:

NML CYGNI OH MASER WITH A SMALL RADIO DISH

Job Geheniau – Januari 2022

Dear fellow amateurs,

 For over 2 months I have been working on my project 'NML Cygni OH maser', stimulated by observations by Eduard Mol and Michiel Klaassen.

This project involves the reception of the OH spectral line of NML Cygni with a relatively small radio dish. JRT - Job's Radio Telescope, 1.8 meters.

The results are in the attached PDF.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/e533f8b6-b499-4d9c-93d2-825473b284f5n%40googlegroups.com.