W3-IRS5

1 view

Michiel Klaassen

Dec 16, 2022, 3:49:51 PM12/16/22
to sara-list, camras-forum
Hi All,
I feel a bit like a tourist making pictures as much as possible, and later look at what I could have seen in real life.

I am now in the process of plowing through the data I have collected with the SG telescope.

As I told you before, I was confused about not being able to detect W3 at the H2O line because the line at 12GHz was very strong.
Only when automatically circling that location we found something, but then on another frequency/velocity.
So the question was; has there been made a mistake in pointing and frequency setting.
Well the closest source would be W3(IRS5); a region where 3 solar systems are in the making.
We found a a lot of papers, but not with the profile we were looking for.

The problem is that modern or recent observations all use VLBI to get the most accurate locations of the maser spots.
A single dish observation is not interesting anymore because it gives the combination of all the maser spots in that area.
Often we find useful papers from some 30 years ago.

Finally we found a snapshot of a space interferometer recording giving an exact (but x-axis reversed) copy of our result.
Still we wanted to be sure, and we have sent a question to Willem Baan (Astron) and Imai Hiroshi (University of Tokyo) to judge our result.
I am still waiting for an answer from  Imai Hiroshi, but Willem Baan confirmed that it is indeed the W3(IRS5) source.
He is ok with mentioning his name in that project also.
Work in progress;
https://www.parac.eu/projectmk27-W3-IRS5.htm

Regards,
Michiel
parac.eu
w3 in milkyway-01.jpg
W3-IRS5-multiplot-01.png
W3-IRS5-by-H-Imai.png

Michiel Klaassen

Dec 18, 2022, 7:12:49 AM12/18/22
to Jon Wallace, sara-list, camras-forum
Thank you Jon for your kind words.

Yes, a lot of work, and still a lot to be done.

It is amazing that we still use the "W" catalog made by Gard Westerhout with the Dwingeloo Radio telescope in 1958.
Instead of tuning to the Hydrogen line, next it was decided to measure on 1.39 Ghz.
He scanned the complete northern sky and noted every increase in radiation.
He just numbered the sources (1,2,3,  ) he found and compared them also to photographic plates from the Palomar observatory.
Later on researchers used his table and placed "W" before the catalog number.
At present we still use this indicator like W3,W3(OH),W3(IRS5), W49, W51, W75 etc.
I have attached the paper with a table and skymap.
See also
http://galaxymap.org/drupal/node/32

Interesting to see that in those days there were also problems with pointing.
See the solution they used to compensate for the bending of the focus box mast; with a movable weight.

Regards,
Michiel
parac.eu

On Sat, Dec 17, 2022 at 4:05 PM Jon Wallace <wall...@comcast.net> wrote:
Well done and after a lot of work that finally paid off!
Congratulations Michiel on detecting W3! Thanks for sharing!
Take care!
Jon
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sara-list/CAABBjRBVO0bvGDbWPTzzEDx2sT%3DVktnx7p7gB4pX%3DYnDts4Efw%40mail.gmail.com.
1958BAN....14..215W.pdf
suspending and bending of the antenna mast-01.jpg