Next meeting: Tuesday 1st February 2016

Tibs

Jan 26, 2016, 4:03:57 PM1/26/16
to Cambridge and East Anglian Python Users Group
The next meeting will be on Tuesday 1st February at 7pm

Geoffrey French will talk about Deep Learning, which he has used to recognise dead fish (for money) and facial expressions (for fun):

"In the last few years, deep neural networks have been used to generate state of the art results in image classification, segmentation and object detection. They have also successfully been used for speech recognition. In this talk, I will give an introduction to deep neural networks. I will cover how they work, how they are trained, and how to get going. The talk will primarily focus on image processing."

About himself, Geoffrey says:

"I am a researcher at Kings College London working in the area of developing new kinds of programming tools. I have also worked on two computer vision projects in the past, aimed at processing microscope images and quantifying surveillance videos from fishing trawlers. I tend to use Python out of choice for almost anything I can!"

This meeting will be held at the Department of Engineering (that should link to a map).

For those who came to the January meeting, we should be in a room two floors up from that room. Come in at reception, and the stairs are on the right. If the reception doors are shut and locked, then there may be a porter to let you in, and otherwise I shall have left a notice on one of the doors with my mobile number, so you can ring to be let in. There may be lots of other people around the ground floor, as there is another event on.

Meetings after that will be:

Please note that we are also now on meetup.com, at http://www.meetup.com/CamPUG/. If possible, please RSVP there for meetings so we have an idea of numbers. As an incentive, there's much more detail about each meeting there.

Tweeting may occur at https://twitter.com/campython

Tibs

Tibs

Jan 28, 2016, 2:52:26 PM1/28/16
to Cambridge and East Anglian Python Users Group
And as Sabine pointed out to me in an email, that should actually be Tuesday *2nd* February. Apologies for the mistake.

Tibs

Lara Urban

Feb 3, 2016, 3:39:39 PM2/3/16
to Cambridge and East Anglian Python Users Group
Thanks a lot for the very interesting talk yesterday! May you please send a link to the slides (especially because of the links to tutorials shown at the end - I was not quick enough to write them down. :) )?
Best,
Lara

Tibs

Feb 3, 2016, 3:41:14 PM2/3/16
to Cambridge and East Anglian Python Users Group
For those not following the messages on the meetup page, Geoffrey has posted his slides at https://speakerdeck.com/britefury/introduction-to-deep-learning-cambridge-python-user-group

Thanks again to Geoffrey for the talk, and to all who came to be the audience.

Tibs

Diego Russo

Feb 4, 2016, 3:58:16 AM2/4/16
to cam...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

here a list of links I was able to write down while Geoffrey was presenting. The majority are in the slide but it could be useful to have them in plain text:

I also want to make you aware about this free talk related to machine learning applied to NLP. It's a free event but it does require sign up: http://blog.cambridgecoding.com/2016/02/03/free-evening-tech-talk-an-introduction-to-natural-language-processing/

IHTH

Cheers

--
Diego Russo