micro:bit news

Tibs

Oct 20, 2015, 2:42:34 PM10/20/15
to Cambridge and East Anglian Python Users Group
For those who don't follow the various Python mailing lists out there, this is one of the versions of an announcement Nick has made today:

Here's some good news - we've finally been given permission to
open-source our work on the BBC micro:bit
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/microbit) and be a bit more
vocal and public about what we're doing. Put simply, around 1 million of
these devices will be given to the UK's 11yo in the spring. They are all
capable of running Python. If you think the following is of interest,
please spread the word! It'd be great to see the wider Python community
get involved in this.

Damien George (creator of MicroPython) announced it here:

http://forum.micropython.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1042

I've written up a "story so far" blog post, for those of you who need
some context, here:

http://ntoll.org/article/story-micropython-on-microbit

The actual source code can be found here:

https://github.com/bbcmicrobit/micropython

I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Best wishes,

Nicholas.

Diego Russo

Nov 6, 2015, 2:09:00 AM11/6/15
to cam...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

I've written down something on my blog about the last meeting.

Check out also the code Gareth and I have used to do the gradient effect using LEDs.

Suggestions and feedback are welcome.

Cheers

--
Diego Russo
Staff Software Engineer - diego...@arm.com

Tibs

Nov 22, 2015, 10:32:30 AM11/22/15
to Cambridge and East Anglian Python Users Group

# And here is the code our group wrote. We used the REPL at first, and then moved to using the editor.
# The program makes a "snake" run round the outside of the LEDs, and the buttons control direction

import microbit

outer=[(0,0),(1,0),(2,0),(3,0),(4,0),(4,1),
       (4,2),(4,3),(4,4),(3,4),(2,4),(1,4),
       (0,4),(0,3),(0,2),(0,1)]

microbit.display.clear()
direction = 1
i = 0
while 1:
    if microbit.button_a.is_pressed():
        direction = 1
    elif microbit.button_b.is_pressed():
        direction = -1
    x, y = outer[(i) % len(outer)]
    X,Y = outer[(i-5*direction) % len(outer)]
    microbit.display.set_pixel(X,Y,0)
    microbit.display.set_pixel(x,y,9)
    microbit.sleep(100)
    i += direction