Next CamPUG meeting Tuesday 4th July 2017

Tibs

Jun 28, 2017, 2:19:38 PM6/28/17
to Cambridge and East Anglian Python Users Group

The next meeting of the Cambridge Python User Group will be on Tuesday 4th July 2017.
The meeting is at 7pm, ending around 9:30pm. The venue, as normal, is the Raspberry Pi offices at 30 Station Road, CB1 2JH, Cambridge.
Normally some of us go on to the pub afterwards.

Jan Jedrzej Chwiejczak will talk about Exploring Python ByteCode

Have you ever wondered what is happening when you execute your Python programs? Would you like to gain insight into writing performance oriented code or be able to explain to your colleagues whether Python is an interpreted or compiled language?

If any of these questions spark your curiosity then please come round. I will take you on a walk in the forest of abstract syntax trees grown by lexers and parsers where compilers generate streams of bits understood and run by interpreters. We will examine together the "intermediate language" which expresses your code as machine instructions and look at the ways we can understand it for fun and profit using the dis module.

For the second part of this talk, we will pair up and try to apply what we learned to optimise some problematic Python code and understand how it looks to the Interpreter.

This is a beginner level talk and the only prerequisites are a curious mind, basic python knowledge and a laptop with Jupyter Notebook installed running Python 3.x. If you don't' have the latter rest assured there will be enough people with one around.
Remember that we are now on meetup.com, at http://www.meetup.com/CamPUG/. If possible, please RSVP there for meetings so we have an idea of numbers. As an incentive, there's normally more detail about each meeting there, and you can also find out about future meetings.

Tweeting may occur at https://twitter.com/campython

Tibs