Tools Won't Update Like They Used To

Highline Guitars

Nov 4, 2020, 11:03:12 AM11/4/20
to CAMotics Users
When I open a .nc file, I select imperial for units and default for tool table. I then edit the tool to match what was written into the .nc file. In previous versions of CAMotics, the tool would automatically update. This feature seems to have stopped working in camotics_1.2.0_x86_64 for the Mac. The tool stays the same no matter what I do. Any ideas?

Joseph Coffland

Nov 4, 2020, 3:41:42 PM11/4/20
to CAMotics Users
Can you post a short video of the problem?  This help me understand exactly what's going on.

Joseph

Highline Guitars

Nov 4, 2020, 4:46:14 PM11/4/20
to CAMotics Users
Here's a link to a video that describes my issue: https://youtu.be/u7PTZdqGrEY

Joseph Coffland

Nov 4, 2020, 4:55:28 PM11/4/20
to CAMotics Users
That was a big help.  The tool table used by the "CAMotics" example is not the same as the default tool table.  You default tool table must be empty.  You can save the current tool table as the default via the "Tool" menu "Save Tool Table As Default".  you are adding tool 1 to your program.  I cannot tell for sure but I'm guessing your GCode is using a different tool number.  If a tool number is called out in the GCode that does not exist in the tool table then CAMotics will use the default tool.  Note, that the default tool has nothing to do with the default tool table.  I can see how this is confusing.  There's certainly some room for improvement here.

Send me your GCode if you are unable to figure out what the tool number should be.  You can also look for warnings in the console when you run the program.  Open the console with Alt-C.

Highline Guitars

Nov 5, 2020, 12:54:22 AM11/5/20
to CAMotics Users
Bingo! It was a tool number mismatch. Had I know about Alt-C, I would have figured it out. Thank you so much for your help!