Problem getting it to run on Debian Trixie

Thompas Jeffersonian

Oct 8, 2023, 6:07:19 PM10/8/23
to CAMotics Users
I am running Debian Trixie (testing) on an Intel I-7 based PC.  I installed the camotics_1.2.0_amd64.deb package, and have an Icon in the KDE start menu, but it doesn't open anything when clicked.
When I start camotics in Konsole, I get:
"camotics: error while loading shared libraries: libv8.so.3.14.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Searching for libv8, I got libnode-dev, in stalled version 18.13.0+dfssg1-1. Per the properties tab in Synaptic,  has dependencies on libssl-dev, libuv1-dev, and libnode 108;
conflicts w/ libv8-dev; breaks nodejs-dev, and replaces both libv8-dev and nodejs-dev.

Installed files says I have:
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv8.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv8_libbase.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv8_libplatform.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv8_libsampler.so

There is no mention of libssl-dev

Would it possibly solve the problem if I created a symbolic link of libv8.so.3.14.5 to libv8.so?  If not, what would you suggest?

Thanks ART (note the address is a throw-away that is never checked, used soley to minimize Google tracking, please reply in this thread)

Thompas Jeffersonian

Oct 8, 2023, 6:56:14 PM10/8/23
to CAMotics Users
checked - I have libssl-dev 3.0.11-1 installed per Synaptic, so that shouldn't be a problem....

ART

Thompas Jeffersonian

Oct 8, 2023, 9:46:02 PM10/8/23
to CAMotics Users
I tried creating the symlink between libv8.so and libv8.so.3.14.5

Now starting Camotics in konsole, I get:
"camotics: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

So even though I have libssl 3.0.11-1 installed, I still have a problem w/ libssl, which is rather frustrating....  So I created another symlink from libssl.so.1.1 to libssl.so.3...

Now I get:
"camotics: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.1.1: cannot open shared object file: Nosuch file or directory"

I have libcrypto.so.3  - so creating another symlink

"This gives me a different error:
camotics: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.1: version `OPENSSL_1_1_0' not found (required by camotics)
camotics: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.1: version `OPENSSL_1_1_0' not found (required by camotics)"

Searching on OPENSSL w/o case sensitivity got a huge number of results, but w/ case sensitivity, I only got links to man pages /usr/share/man/man7/OPENSSL_API_COMPAT.7ssl.gz and /usr/share/man/man7/OPENSSL_NO_DEPRECATED.7ssl.gz which seem to say they are macros that need to be declared by the programmer....

I found a few suggestions to install openssl 1.1.  alongside the current version.  I found openssl1.1.1w-0+deb11u1 in buster (oldstable) and downloaded the deb, but gdebi refused to install it, saying a newer version was already installed - I'm not sure where to go from here....

It seems to me that the root problem for all of this is calling out dependencies on specific versions of libraries, rather than 'version X or later'...  I'm not a programmer, but this smells like a bug to me....

ART