How to set tool path bounds

Henner Meinhold

Nov 25, 2022, 6:36:30 AM11/25/22
to CAMotics Users
Hi,
I am a first time user of Camotics. Installation on Win10 seems to be Ok, as I can run the examples and even create a project using one of the examle g-code files. However, my g-code generated by Cambam has a problem. I can set the workpiece bounds, but not the toolpath bounds. My questions:
1. Which lines does Camotics need to automatically compute these two parameter sets
2. Is there a way to set toolpath bounds manually. I did not see any tab which allows me to do that. I guess I am not seeing the forest for the trees...
Can you please guide me?
Regards
Henner

Joseph Coffland

Nov 25, 2022, 6:56:16 AM11/25/22
to CAMotics Users
The tool path bounds are a measurement of the axis-aligned bounding box that the tool path fits into.  It's just the box defined by min and max X, Y & Z of the tool path.  You cannot set the tool path bounds.  You have to change the tool path itself for the tool path bounds to change.  Cambam generates the tool path so it will determine the tool path bounds.

Henner Meinhold

Nov 25, 2022, 7:33:51 AM11/25/22
to CAMotics Users
Thanks for the lightning fast reply. I understand the concept of bounding boxes. So the toolpath bounds are derived from the workpiece bounds adding the margin? I can set the workpiece bounds manually, but the toolpath bounds show "man" for all 6 parameters.  The strange thing is that the same g-code file works with a different simulator  (from Nccad9) which I want to replace with CAMotix. So does CAMotix go through the g-code and detects the min/max values for x,y,z ? I will try different versions of my code (e.g. G0 moves in all 6 directions) to find out, if the system then detects the toolpath bounding box.
Regards
Henner

Joseph Coffland

Nov 25, 2022, 7:41:52 AM11/25/22
to CAMotics Users
You should look at the errors in the console.  Open the console view via the "View" menu.

Henner Meinhold

Nov 25, 2022, 9:18:12 AM11/25/22
to CAMotics Users
No error messages. The workpiece bounds are Ok and manually set. The view shows:
GCode::Tool Path bounds ((0,0,0), (0,0,4)) dimensions (0,0,4)Computing surface bounded by ((-2.23663,-2.23663,-2.23681), (52.2366,52.2366,7.23681)) at 2.3684 grid resolutionTime: 0.12 secs Triangles: 2664 Triangles/sec: 22426.69.
When I add a G0 X50 Y50 Z4 it finally works.

GCode::Tool Path bounds ((0,0,0), (50,50,4)) dimensions (50,50,4)Computing surface bounded by ((-3.52101,-3.78941,-2.8445), (8.32101,12.7894,4.2607)) at 2.3684 grid resolution

Obviously CAMotix needed some "help" to figure out the bounds
Thanks for your help,
Regards
Henner