Glass Kiln training

Chris Wilson

Jul 18, 2013, 12:29:26 PM7/18/13
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Having recently done my induction I'd really like to get some training on using the glass kiln. Please could we have another training session soon?

Also there's no persistent thread on the wiki, shall we use this message as the start of one?

Cheers, Chris.

Matthew Pendlebury

Jul 18, 2013, 3:57:26 PM7/18/13
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
I'd be interested in training too if that's possible?

Cheers

--Matt

Michael Thomas

Jul 18, 2013, 5:44:29 PM7/18/13
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
Me too, actually I want to be trained on everything!

Christie Nel

Jul 20, 2013, 10:31:15 AM7/20/13
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
Me too.  Training on everything!

Christie

Chris Wilson

Jul 22, 2013, 9:16:46 AM7/22/13
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:29:26 PM UTC+1, Chris Wilson wrote:
Having recently done my induction I'd really like to get some training on using the glass kiln. Please could we have another training session soon?

I think that's 4 of us signed up already. Pretty please could we have a training session soon?

Cheers, Chris.

Tom Oinn

Jul 22, 2013, 9:19:06 AM7/22/13
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
I could do one this Wednesday - nothing like a nice cool day for a bit
of flamework ;) How does that suit?

Tom

Chris Wilson

Jul 22, 2013, 9:20:31 AM7/22/13
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 22 Jul 2013, Tom Oinn wrote:

>> I think that's 4 of us signed up already. Pretty please could we have a
>> training session soon?
>
> I could do one this Wednesday - nothing like a nice cool day for a bit
> of flamework ;) How does that suit?

Wednesday would be perfect for me, thanks!

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 967 838
Citylife House, Sturton Street, Cambridge, CB1 2QF, UK

with company number 04980791.

Christie Nel

Jul 22, 2013, 9:25:14 AM7/22/13
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
Works for me, too.

Anne Harrison

Jul 22, 2013, 9:29:12 AM7/22/13
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
additional training or induction? I want to get inducted, but there
hasn't been an opportunity yet (both been Mondays)

Tom Oinn

Jul 22, 2013, 9:29:24 AM7/22/13
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
Great, in that case let's say 7pm - it takes a while as you each have
to make a bead and it's not a quick process. Probably about 40 minutes
+ 30 per person.

Please wear enclosed shoes and something without long sleeves, you
probably want to tie long hair back as well :) Long trousers will give
you a few extra seconds before molten glass gets to your skin,
although I'd be hypocritical to insist on them!

Tom
>> cammakespace...@googlegroups.com.

Tom Oinn

Jul 22, 2013, 9:31:37 AM7/22/13
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
On 22 July 2013 14:29, Anne Harrison <anne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> additional training or induction? I want to get inducted, but there hasn't
> been an opportunity yet (both been Mondays)

This would be an initial training / induction. I'm a novice myself, so
it's just to ensure that people have the basics required to work the
equipment safely and without damaging it. We can have up to four
people (three is more comfortable) but if you already know how to work
with glass and just want to see how our kiln works and get signed off
that's probably something we can do as an additional thing.

Tom

Anne Harrison

Jul 22, 2013, 10:09:32 AM7/22/13
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
zero experience! have you created a meetup for this, I'm hazy on who is
signed up for this!

Matthew Pendlebury

Jul 22, 2013, 10:15:27 AM7/22/13
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
Wednesday evening would suit me well too!

Cheers

--Matt

Tom Oinn

Jul 23, 2013, 6:19:48 PM7/23/13
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
Right - I've double booked myself, sorry! Can we do Thursday instead?
There's the maker night, so if we start at six there'll be plenty of
time to do other things, and by its nature the glass induction has a
lot of dead time while other people make beads.

Priority order for people is the same as the order of posting to this
thread. If we can start early I can certainly get four people sorted
out. I won't put a meetup event up, the system is rubbish for
arranging training anyway (no priority queues, unreasonably favours
people who are online all the time, can't limit numbers without an
admin twiddling knobs).

Tom

Anne Harrison

Jul 23, 2013, 6:23:54 PM7/23/13
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
On 23/07/2013 23:19, Tom Oinn wrote:
> Right - I've double booked myself, sorry! Can we do Thursday instead?
> There's the maker night, so if we start at six there'll be plenty of
> time to do other things, and by its nature the glass induction has a
> lot of dead time while other people make beads.
>
> Priority order for people is the same as the order of posting to this
> thread. If we can start early I can certainly get four people sorted
> out. I won't put a meetup event up, the system is rubbish for
> arranging training anyway (no priority queues, unreasonably favours
> people who are online all the time, can't limit numbers without an
> admin twiddling knobs).

I'm not going to be able to do that, I'm down to run makernight so I'll
be setting up various bits and bobs for the sugru instructables.

Chris Wilson

Jul 24, 2013, 3:40:12 AM7/24/13
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013, Tom Oinn wrote:

> Right - I've double booked myself, sorry! Can we do Thursday instead?
> There's the maker night, so if we start at six there'll be plenty of
> time to do other things, and by its nature the glass induction has a lot
> of dead time while other people make beads.
>
> Priority order for people is the same as the order of posting to this
> thread. If we can start early I can certainly get four people sorted
> out. I won't put a meetup event up, the system is rubbish for arranging
> training anyway (no priority queues, unreasonably favours people who are
> online all the time, can't limit numbers without an admin twiddling
> knobs).

I have a meeting booked for Thursday night, but I think it's going to move
to another day, and if it does then I can make Thursday at 6pm.

Matthew Pendlebury

Jul 24, 2013, 3:51:53 AM7/24/13
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
I've managed to juggle things a bit so I should be able to make tomorrow for six or so.

Cheers

--Matt

Christie Nel

Jul 24, 2013, 4:09:24 PM7/24/13
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
I am likely doing both laser cutter training and Sugru tomorrow, so I might have to drop the kiln training.  Hope that is not too much of an inconvenience.

S.

Oct 1, 2013, 6:14:59 AM10/1/13
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
We're holding a training/induction session for glass kiln and torch for glass bead making on Wednesday 9th October, starting at 7pm. Meetup event is here: http://www.meetup.com/Makespace/events/143181352/ There's three spaces available.

Anne Harrison

Oct 1, 2013, 6:25:14 AM10/1/13
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
On 01/10/2013 11:14, S. wrote:
> We're holding a training/induction session for glass kiln and torch
> for glass bead making on Wednesday 9th October, starting at 7pm.
> Meetup event is here:
> http://www.meetup.com/Makespace/events/143181352/ There's three spaces
> available.

If there is ever a possibility of it being on a Tuesday or Thursday,
this is on my to do list.

S.

Oct 1, 2013, 6:29:20 AM10/1/13
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
Tuesdays would generally be better for me, too, but this will be the first time I'm inducting anyone, so I need Renee to be there to make sure I don't mess up:) I can probably [pending confirmation] offer a Tuesday slot two weeks later (22 October).

Could anyone else who is keen on glass work please reply so I've got an idea of amount of interest / how many induction sessions are needed / what days would be good ?

Anne Harrison

Oct 1, 2013, 6:30:37 AM10/1/13
to cammak...@googlegroups.com

> Tuesdays would generally be better for me, too, but this will be the
> first time I'm inducting anyone, so I need Renee to be there to make
> sure I don't mess up:) I can probably [pending confirmation] offer a
> Tuesday slot two weeks later (22 October).
>
> Could anyone else who is keen on glass work please reply so I've got
> an idea of amount of interest / how many induction sessions are needed
> / what days would be good ?

I'd sign up for that if it happened, though to be honest life is on the
busy side right now so it's not a desperate rush!

TobyM

Oct 1, 2013, 8:25:30 AM10/1/13
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
I'm definitely interested, and I suspect some of the new students will be too

Toby

S.

Oct 15, 2013, 10:52:09 AM10/15/13
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
Following the discussion in the Log : Laser Cutter thread, I'll put up a sign-up sheet for inductions to the glass kiln & torch for bead-making, physically in the space, next to the kiln. This will be a running waiting list, with people being approached as the Owners have time, in order of sign-up. It'll take a while to work through the backlog of inductions, so *please* only sign up if you honestly intend to actually use kiln etc. in the near future. If you don't have anything in mind right now, don't sign up. Be considerate of your fellow Makespace members, and don't just sign up simply because you want to be inducted to everything! (Don't worry, you WILL get induction eventually.)

The sheet'll probably appear in the space in the next few days, but I know that there's people who are keen to make things who've been waiting a long time already, so if that's you, send me an e-mail/reply to the thread with nights you're typically available. (Please give an indication since when you've been a member/how long you've been waiting for kiln induction.)

[@Anne H: Tuesday/Thursday already noted, so you don't need to reply unless you want to amend that.]

Robyn K

Oct 23, 2015, 4:38:07 PM10/23/15
to cammakespace
The link on the wiki brought me to this thread for expressions of interest in glass kiln training/inductions. Given how old the most recent post here is, though, it would seem this line of discussion has gone elsewhere.

To cover all bases, I'll register my interest in getting inducted on this kit here, and go foraging for more recent threads next.

Cheers.

Robyn

Jae Chipko

Oct 23, 2015, 4:52:09 PM10/23/15
to cammak...@googlegroups.com

I must say I've had a wonderful time using the glass kiln over the last year and Tom Onin's induction was great.

When I saw him recently he did mention something about an induction due soon. Keep an eye on this thread as I'm sure he'll probably see this and advise better.

Tom Oinn

Oct 23, 2015, 4:57:14 PM10/23/15
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
Nope, this is just fine as a place to sort them out. I will indeed see
this thread...

Tom :)

Robyn K

Oct 23, 2015, 5:56:29 PM10/23/15
to cammakespace
Brilliant. Very much looking forward to it.

:-)

ste5eu

Oct 25, 2015, 11:30:16 AM10/25/15
to cammakespace
Cool, I'd like to register an interest too please. I've been meaning to for ages and with Christmas coming up glass and beads could be fun things to do - even if they will be pretty low quality with my beginner skills.

Jae Chipko

Oct 25, 2015, 12:26:07 PM10/25/15
to cammak...@googlegroups.com

I think we need to ensure the calendars are used even if they are only updated from the moment it starts.

On 25 Oct 2015 15:30, "ste5eu" <ste...@gmail.com> wrote:
Cool, I'd like to register an interest too please. I've been meaning to for ages and with Christmas coming up glass and beads could be fun things to do - even if they will be pretty low quality with my beginner skills.

Naomi Griffiths

Dec 2, 2015, 6:34:11 PM12/2/15
to cammakespace
Could I add my name to any kiln training list that is running, please?

Tom Oinn

Dec 4, 2015, 6:54:40 AM12/4/15
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Induction session scheduled for next Tuesday at 7pm, I've created an
event http://www.meetup.com/Makespace/events/227206837/? - add
yourselves if you can make it.

I've also deleted one of the calendars, there wasn't much benefit to
having two. Once piwars is out of the way I'm planning to be a bit
more active regarding the kiln and torch setup, sorry to anyone who's
feeling neglected!

Tom

On 2 December 2015 at 23:34, Naomi Griffiths <naomi.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could I add my name to any kiln training list that is running, please?

Robyn K

Dec 4, 2015, 8:21:43 AM12/4/15
to cammakespace
Hmmm. My apologies if you receive this twice. Did try to respond earlier but it's not showing, so I'll assume that was a fail.

MANY many thanks for setting up the induction, and even more for adding us preemptively. Greatly appreciated!

Duncan Purvis

Feb 19, 2016, 12:17:26 PM2/19/16
to cammakespace
Hi

Is there a glass kiln and flame corner training session in the offing. I am a new member and would like to start my training on something I can use straight away.

thanks

Duncan

Ziyi Yu

Feb 23, 2017, 1:05:17 PM2/23/17
to cammakespace
Dear All,

I am seeking for a training course for using glass kiln. I am wondering when will be the next training session? Many thanks in advance.

Cheers
Ziyi

Milly

Apr 29, 2017, 8:57:34 AM4/29/17
to cammakespace
Hello all,

I too am interested in learning to use the glass kiln, and was hoping that someone might have the time to run a training session? I can bring biscuits.

~ Milly

Richard Dwan

Apr 29, 2017, 2:30:07 PM4/29/17
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
I can bring cookies to a training session if you would prefer!

Richard

Apr 29, 2017, 2:43:13 PM4/29/17
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

I think we need to recharge the gas for the torch, but once that's
done I'll schedule another training session soon.

Tom

On 29 April 2017 at 19:30, 'Richard Dwan' via cammakespace

Ziyi Yu

Apr 29, 2017, 3:51:43 PM4/29/17
to cammakespace

Hi all,

It seems I have no chance to bring cookies and biscuits because Richard and Milly will do that. I can bring some drinks if you guys do not mind.

Cheers

Ziyi

David Fisher

May 1, 2017, 6:19:20 AM5/1/17
to cammakespace
Hi Tom,
              I too would like to be trained on the kiln and torch.

David

Miguel Morin

May 3, 2017, 12:30:50 PM5/3/17
to MakeSpace Cambridge
+1 for training on the glass kiln

Miguel

allen...@bath.edu

Sep 19, 2018, 4:28:38 AM9/19/18
to cammakespace
Hi

I am a relatively new member to makespace but not to glass fusing. The kilns I used before were however managed by technicians and I just chose from a limited set of heating cycles e.g. this one for fully fused, that one for tack fusing etc . I am asking here if an induction on the kit is possible please as I have a few projects in mind. I am very flexible as to days and times.

Regards

Allen

Matt Jaworski

Sep 24, 2018, 4:01:35 PM9/24/18
to cammakespace
I'm ready for kiln training too. The quicker the better  ;-)

Tom Oinn

Sep 28, 2018, 5:23:11 AM9/28/18
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
I'm no longer a member (I was the original owner of the glassworking
kit), I don't know whether there's anyone doing training sessions any
more, although judging from some of the beads left welded onto
mandrels in the space there are clearly people in need of training...

One thing I would say, particularly about the glass kiln but it
applies to everything else. Please don't sign up for training if you
don't plan on actually using the kit. I think of all the people I ran
sessions for, maybe a quarter ever actually used the kit. This is a
bit demoralising for trainers, who are giving their time to run the
sessions, and doesn't encourage us to run more of them.

Tom

Laura James

Sep 28, 2018, 10:23:02 AM9/28/18
to cammakespace
I *think* I'm down as a kiln trainer, although not 100% sure. Anyway, I'd be happy to do kiln training - but not torchwork.

What sort of times work for folks wanting trainings - evening, weekend?  If we can find something that works for a few of you that would be great.

Laura

Allen Kaye

Sep 28, 2018, 10:39:19 AM9/28/18
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I am retired so quite flexible. If you are thinking in short term tho I am away next Thurs for 5 days.  I am experienced in glass fusing and would be happy to take on a training role once I have been trained on the specifics of your kit.  I have used bullseye and float glass.  My first goal is to make simple round fused circles with bullseye that can be inserted into turned wooden discus objects.  Maybe also lit from behind.

Regards

Allen

Matt Jaworski

Oct 1, 2018, 1:47:20 PM10/1/18
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
I can be elastic about time. Any chance for torchwork?

Best
Matt

allen...@bath.edu

Nov 2, 2018, 11:11:19 AM11/2/18
to cammakespace
Hi

Any update on potential training dates please?  If it helps I am willing to take on training once I have been seen to be a confident user.  I have used kilns elsewhere.

regards

Allen

allen...@bath.edu

Nov 2, 2018, 11:12:50 AM11/2/18
to cammakespace

Damien

Nov 2, 2018, 11:57:45 AM11/2/18
to cammakespace
Hi,

I would also like to be trained to use the kiln, though have never used one before.
Any chance of a training session any time soon?

Fanny Bara

Nov 5, 2018, 3:15:03 PM11/5/18
to cammakespace
Good evening,
Would like to add my name on the list of the person who would like to be trained to use the kiln. Looking forward hearing from you. Fanny

Malgorzata Van Leeuwen

Jul 29, 2019, 2:09:36 PM7/29/19
to cammakespace
Hi,
And I would also like to be trained to use the torch and the kiln.

Stefano Borini

Jul 29, 2019, 2:16:57 PM7/29/19
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
+1 from me as well.

Tom Oinn

Aug 2, 2019, 1:18:00 PM8/2/19
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure there's currently anyone at Makespace responsible for the
kiln and torch? Someone with previous experience is really needed to
take ownership of it I suspect.

Tom
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cammakespace/CAFp%2Bze0aJG2nO48f2VKS1tazatQeDuMOT89FfAZy3jbzp1i4cw%40mail.gmail.com.

Ward Hills

Aug 5, 2019, 2:41:32 AM8/5/19
to cammakespace

There are several signs up in the space listing the owner email addresses for all red equipment e.g in the kitchen and near the printers.  Emails are also on the safety sheets next to each item of equipment   The one for contacting the Glass working owners is:  glas...@makespace.org

Tom,
Would be great if you want to rejoin Makespace and take up the glassworking area. We have had so many new members in the last year we always need experienced trainers

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 at 19:16, Stefano Borini <makep...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 from me as well.
>
> On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 at 19:09, Malgorzata Van Leeuwen <mb.van...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> And I would also like to be trained to use the torch and the kiln.
>>
>> On Monday, November 5, 2018 at 8:15:03 PM UTC, Fanny Bara wrote:
>>>
>>> Good evening,
>>> Would like to add my name on the list of the person who would like to be trained to use the kiln. Looking forward hearing from you. Fanny

Malgorzata Van Leeuwen

Aug 5, 2019, 2:42:41 AM8/5/19
to cammakespace
I have used a similar (large) torch for soldering and annealing silver and copper (which for me is the main reason for requesting glass kiln  training), and I have used kilns (different models) for enamelling. However, I don't know the specific Makespace rules concerning working with these pieces of equipment, and I have never done any work with glass. After some initial training I could help.
Goska

On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 6:18:00 PM UTC+1, Tom wrote:
I'm not sure there's currently anyone at Makespace responsible for the
kiln and torch? Someone with previous experience is really needed to
take ownership of it I suspect.

Tom

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 at 19:16, Stefano Borini <makep...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 from me as well.
>
> On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 at 19:09, Malgorzata Van Leeuwen <mb.van...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> And I would also like to be trained to use the torch and the kiln.
>>
>> On Monday, November 5, 2018 at 8:15:03 PM UTC, Fanny Bara wrote:
>>>
>>> Good evening,
>>> Would like to add my name on the list of the person who would like to be trained to use the kiln. Looking forward hearing from you. Fanny

Ward Hills

Aug 5, 2019, 10:09:08 AM8/5/19
to cammakespace
Sounds really good.  Please do drop a line to glas...@makespace.org and if you do not hear back then let us know. (that time a year when people are away)
-Ward

Matt Jaworski

Aug 5, 2019, 8:29:23 PM8/5/19
to cammak...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure Andy McDonald have this email on close  hearing. Maybe would be better drop him email directly? It's on the wall behind the fine metal benches.

Best
Matt

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "cammakespace" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cammakespace/9fa5b092-9b38-4437-a8b1-0f912eb67a9a%40googlegroups.com.

Malgorzata Van Leeuwen

Aug 6, 2019, 3:35:45 AM8/6/19
to cammakespace