Migrate mailing list?

Paul Lindner

Jan 30, 2018, 12:12:10 PM1/30/18
to Camlistore
So should we rename to per...@googlegroups.com?

I don't believe you can rename groups, but I do believe that you can move group members and forward message from the old group to the new group.

Brad Fitzpatrick

Jan 30, 2018, 12:57:00 PM1/30/18
to camli...@googlegroups.com
Or do we want to take this opportunity to decide whether mailing lists are still the right answer?

I see a lot of people use this forum software;

Not sure what the software is called, though. Or maybe those are different.

Do we want to use one of those? Maybe in addition?

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 9:12 AM, Paul Lindner <pmli...@gmail.com> wrote:
So should we rename to per...@googlegroups.com?

I don't believe you can rename groups, but I do believe that you can move group members and forward message from the old group to the new group.

Bruce C .Dillahunty

Jan 30, 2018, 1:18:13 PM1/30/18
to camli...@googlegroups.com
That's Discourse I believe...

Brad Fitzpatrick

Jan 30, 2018, 1:24:55 PM1/30/18
to camli...@googlegroups.com
Wow, the $20/extra surcharge for TLS is frankly a little offensive. I emailed their team about how that's off-putting.

If we did use Discourse, it'd be nice to get the 50% non-profit discount but we're not legally part of a non-profit (yet). I'd really rather not run my own instance, but if anybody has experience running an instance and wants to run it for the Perkeep project, I'd pay for the GCP resources.

Erik Paulson

Jan 30, 2018, 1:37:14 PM1/30/18
to camli...@googlegroups.com
I hope you'll keep the mailing list. Easy to own my own data, searchable, will outlast any forum software, etc.

Bruce C .Dillahunty

Jan 30, 2018, 1:39:01 PM1/30/18
to camli...@googlegroups.com
I have some of the same feelings, although I will note that Discourse allows you to interact via email pretty well if you wish.

Personally, prefer email as it's "all in one place" and I'm not having to find a site somewhere, but either way is OK with me. Discourse is one of the better forum software at the moment in my opinion.

Mathieu Lonjaret

Jan 30, 2018, 2:49:01 PM1/30/18
to camli...@googlegroups.com
I'd rather stick with a mailing list as well I think. (But yes, Discourse is indeed all the rage for communication in the gaming communities at least).

Kim Minh Kaplan

Jan 30, 2018, 5:10:37 PM1/30/18
to camli...@googlegroups.com
Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:

> I see a lot of people use this forum software;
>
> https://forum.golangbridge.org/
> https://community.home-assistant.io/
>
> Not sure what the software is called, though. Or maybe those are different.

This is Discourse https://www.discourse.org
https://github.com/discourse/discourse

Jed Christiansen

Jan 31, 2018, 6:14:20 PM1/31/18
to Camlistore
I've run my own Discourse instance - but to date only on DigitalOcean where they've got one-click installation: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-the-discourse-one-click-application-on-digitalocean

The nice thing for users is that you each user gets to use it the way they want to... whether they treat it like a mailing list and receive/reply to everything via email, use it like forum software, or a hybrid.  (ie, send me an email for everything in category X, but weekly digests for everything else.)

I'd be happy to *help* administer it if this is the preferred route, but don't want to set myself up as a single-point of failure!

Bruce C .Dillahunty

Jan 31, 2018, 9:29:34 PM1/31/18
to camli...@googlegroups.com
I've configured a Discourse on a personal machine as a test in the past... also willing to toss in a bit of time, but not as sole proprietorship :-)

Paul Lindner

Feb 9, 2018, 8:29:58 PM2/9/18
to camli...@googlegroups.com
For now I suggest we migrate from camlistore@ to perkeep@

Migrating to Discourse can always be done at a later point.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/migration-of-google-groups-to-discourse/48012/31 also mentions an import step, so that could also be considered.