Perkeep on Windows - Is LevelDB stable on Windows or do I need to switch to MySQL or MariaDB as suggested?

Tim Swast

Dec 23, 2017, 2:44:56 PM12/23/17
to Camlistore
I'm attempting to use Perkeep on Windows. So far, so good, but I encountered some out-of-date info in the docs. Specifically, https://perkeep.org/doc/server-config#windows says "The default configuration comes with SQLite for the indexer. However, getting mattn go-sqlite3 to work on windows is not straightforward"

This appears to be incorrect, as when I look at my ~\AppData\Roaming\Camlistore\server-config.json file, I see that levelDB is used.

Is levelDB stable on Windows or do I need to move to MySQL / MariaDB as it suggests?

Brad Fitzpatrick

Dec 23, 2017, 2:48:00 PM12/23/17
to camli...@googlegroups.com
I use LevelDB myself. I used to use MySQL but I moved my Perkeep server recently and found it too tedious to setup MySQL again so I tried LevelDB. Haven't had any problems.

I'm not running on Windows, but I see that there are Windows-specific files like  ./vendor/github.com/syndtr/goleveldb/leveldb/storage/file_storage_windows.go so it looks like it works on Windows.

Might be worth trying to "go get -d github.com/syndtr/goleveldb/leveldb/..." and "go test github.com/syndtr/goleveldb/leveldb/..." first and make sure the leveldb tests pass.

Attila Tajti

Dec 24, 2017, 8:02:50 AM12/24/17
to Camlistore
I build Perkeep for my Synology NAS on Windows, but usually use the client tools on Windows only.

I run the server on Windows only when developing/testing something new, but I haven't had any problems so far (~2 years).

LevelDB worked fine in other projects of mine on Windows.