Huge cache safe to delete?

Viktor Ogeman

Aug 20, 2018, 4:40:47 PM8/20/18
to Camlistore
Hi again,

I have a perkeepd server running, storing about 200Gb of data using blobpacked. The data is mostly jpg images. The main blob storage is on a spinning disk ("packed") but I keep all the indexes, loose blobs + cache on a smaller SSD.

I notice however that the cache directory becomes prohibitly large (64Gb of cached blobs for 200Gb of "real data"). Is this expected? If so why is this, are very high quality thumbnails being stored for all the images - or is there some other data being cached as well?

Finally (and most importantly) - Is it safe for me to nuke the cache directory? (while the server is running?) Or is there some other recommended way to decrease the cache pressure?

Regards

Brad Fitzpatrick

Aug 20, 2018, 5:27:55 PM8/20/18
to camli...@googlegroups.com
You can nuke the cache directory. It's just a cache.

We should probably have some automatic size management for it. File a
bug? https://github.com/perkeep/perkeep/issues

Mathieu Lonjaret

Aug 20, 2018, 7:29:58 PM8/20/18
to camli...@googlegroups.com, per...@googlegroups.com
hmm, I thought we had an implementation of a blobserver that deletes
older blobs when it reaches a certain size, but nope.
I'm almost sure I've written something somewhere in Perkeep that does
something like that though, but I can't find it right now.

Viktor Ogeman

Aug 21, 2018, 12:21:25 AM8/21/18
to per...@googlegroups.com, camli...@googlegroups.com
Thanks

Sent from my phone
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Perkeep" group.

Stephen Searles

Aug 21, 2018, 11:28:54 AM8/21/18
to per...@googlegroups.com, camli...@googlegroups.com
Yup, there is a blobserver like you describe here: https://github.com/perkeep/perkeep/blob/master/pkg/blobserver/memory/mem.go

Mathieu Lonjaret

Aug 21, 2018, 11:31:59 AM8/21/18
to camli...@googlegroups.com, per...@googlegroups.com
Ah yes. Maybe not the code I was thinking of, but good catch nonetheless!