Open Science Workshop March 12-13

Nicole Janz

Feb 17, 2019, 5:35:46 AM2/17/19
to cambridge-r...@googlegroups.com
Dear colleagues,

I’m writing to you to invite you to my workshop on open science in University teaching:

Oxford on March 12-13
St Anne’s College
Food and accommodation free
Application deadline extended to Feb 20, 2019.

Content:
  • Workflows for reproducible research. TIER Protocol for replication documentation & dynamic documents
  • Teaching strategies. Strategies for teaching and supervising students to conduct transparent and high-quality research (class size, preparedness of students, access to data and computing resources, and the amount of time available to devote to reproducibility)
  • File-sharing platforms. Dropbox, OSF, GitHub, etc.), and how they can be used to radically transform the nature of collaboration among students working on projects together as well as communication between instructors and students.
  • Pedagogical benefits. For students and teachers
  • Learning from the diverse experience of workshop participants. The agenda will include time for participants to share lessons they have learned from their experiences teaching research methods, and to help each other develop strategies for meeting their goals for the future. There will be opportunities for participants to give brief, informal presentations about their experiences teaching research methods, and to share syllabi, exercises or other materials they have created or used in their teaching or research supervision.

This workshop is organised together with Laura Fortunato, Uni of Oxford, and sponsored by Project Teaching Integrity in Empirical Research (TIER) and supported by the UK Reproducibility Network. Project TIER also has non-residential fellowships advertised (5000£) at the moment, and the main organisers of TIER will be at the workshop to chat about this.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Best,
Nicole

Nicole Janz, PhD Cantab
University of Nottingham