Cambridge Entomological Club Meeting Next Tuesday!

Sarah Dendy

Mar 7, 2024, 1:02:34 PMMar 7
to Cambridge Entomological Club
Next Tuesday! Join us for a meeting of the Cambridge Entomological Club

Date: Tuesday, March 12th, 7:30 PM EST

Zoom is the leader in modern enterprise video communications, with an easy, reliable cloud platform for video and audio conferencing, chat, and webinars across mobile, desktop, and room systems. Zoom Rooms is the original software-based conference room solution used around the world in board, conference, huddle, and training rooms, as well as executive offices and classrooms. Founded in 2011, Zoom helps businesses and organizations bring their teams together in a frictionless environment to get more done. Zoom is a publicly traded company headquartered in San Jose, CA.
Title: “Uncovering the mysteries of insect waste removal: Why and how sharpshooter insects use droplet superpropulsion.
Speaker: Elio Challita (Harvard SEAS)

Summary: Consuming food and eliminating waste are essential processes for all living organisms. While the impact of feeding on animal anatomy and behavior has been extensively researched for over a century, the role of excretion in shaping and limiting animal behavior remains largely unexplored. In this presentation, I will explore how tiny sharpshooter insects, measuring just a few millimeters, efficiently remove their substantial waste by employing droplet superpropulsion - a process that allows them to propel droplets at speeds surpassing the underlying actuator through precise timing. I will also discuss the evolutionary reasons behind their adoption of this unique droplet ejection mechanism, drawing upon energetic and scaling principles.

NOTICE: We will be holding hybrid meetings to accommodate COVID-19 precautions and audience members from around the world.

For those able to attend, we will have an informal dinner at 6:00 pm at Cambridge Common Restaurant with the speaker, followed by our formal meeting (7:30 - 9:00 pm) in room MCZ101 of the Museum of Comparative Zoology (there will be signs to help direct). The meeting will begin with club announcements, followed by a 60-minute presentation by the invited speaker and Q&A. Membership is open to amateur and professional entomologists. Welcome!
Elio_CEC.png