Cambridge Entomological Club Member Dues

Thuma, Jessie A

Feb 14, 2023, 9:21:40 AM2/14/23
to cambridge-ento...@googlegroups.com, oebse...@lists.fas.harvard.edu, oe...@lists.hcs.harvard.edu, er...@elist.tufts.edu
Hi Everyone,

A message from our treasurer, Jay Shetterly, about paying your membership dues:

"Dear Fellow Members:

As many of you know I am the new Treasurer of the Club, second time around for me as I was Treasurer for a few years back in the 80s.

The By-Laws provide for annual dues. It is $5/year for “bona fide students” and $25/year for all others.

I will be happy to receive payment in cash, by check, or by Venmo. My Venmo account is John-Shetterly-2. My street address appears below.

Previous Treasurers have not always collected dues with great diligence, but I intend to do so. If we had some income, we could pay travel expenses for speakers we’d like to get but who can’t afford to come without a little help.

The By-Laws have a magnificent statement that must go back to some lawyer 150 years ago “A delay of one year in the payment of the annual assessment shall be understood as notification of the intent of the member to withdraw from membership.” In current American, this means that if you don’t pay for a year, you are out.

Another interesting option to paying annual dues is becoming a life member. This costs $50, so in lieu of two years’ dues you are exempt from paying for the rest of eternity. I chose that option back in the 80’s but usually make a contribution in lieu of dues.

I hope to see you at the meeting tomorrow night.

Best, Jay"

Jessie Thuma
PhD Candidate
Biology Department
Tufts University

James Mallet

Feb 14, 2023, 4:59:46 PM2/14/23
to Cambridge Entomological Club
I think one year I was so ashamed of not having paid dues that I paid $100. I think I shall pay another $100 and then become a life member! Also, if The Cambridge Ent Club is not for profit, you can deduct it from your income for tax purposes, I think. Do we have a not-for-profit registration number?