Cambride Entomological Club Meeting Tomorrow!

Sarah Dendy

Feb 19, 2024, 11:28:37 AMFeb 19
to Cambridge Entomological Club
Tomorrow! Join us for a meeting of the Cambridge Entomological Club
Date: Tuesday, February 20th, 7:30 PM EST

Zoom is the leader in modern enterprise video communications, with an easy, reliable cloud platform for video and audio conferencing, chat, and webinars across mobile, desktop, and room systems. Zoom Rooms is the original software-based conference room solution used around the world in board, conference, huddle, and training rooms, as well as executive offices and classrooms. Founded in 2011, Zoom helps businesses and organizations bring their teams together in a frictionless environment to get more done. Zoom is a publicly traded company headquartered in San Jose, CA.
Title: “Arthropod legs: novelty and homology over half a billion years.
Speaker: Heather S Bruce (Woods Hole Marine Biological Laboratory)
Summary: Arthropods are the most successful group of animals on the planet, and this is in part due to incredible structures like insect wings, beetle horns, and crustacean carapaces. Many of these structures have been proposed to be novel structures that evolved anew in each lineage, but could some or even all of these structures be related somehow? And what does this tell us about how structures and their gene networks evolve over huge timescales of half a billion years?
NOTICE: We will be holding hybrid meetings to accommodate COVID-19 precautions and audience members from around the world.
For those able to attend, we will have an informal dinner at 6:00 pm at Cambridge Common Restaurant with the speaker, followed by our formal meeting (7:30 - 9:00 pm) in room MCZ101 of the Museum of Comparative Zoology (there will be signs to help direct). The meeting will begin with club announcements, followed by a 60-minute presentation by the invited speaker and Q&A. Membership is open to amateur and professional entomologists. Welcome!