Cambridge Entomological Club Meeting Tomorrow! Plus, Summer Celebration Announcement

Sarah Dendy

May 13, 2024, 9:21:39 AMMay 13
to Cambridge Entomological Club
Tomorrow! Join us for a meeting of the Cambridge Entomological Club, where we will welcome our very own president to present his original research!

Date: Tuesday, May 14th, 7:30 PM EST

Zoom is the leader in modern enterprise video communications, with an easy, reliable cloud platform for video and audio conferencing, chat, and webinars across mobile, desktop, and room systems. Zoom Rooms is the original software-based conference room solution used around the world in board, conference, huddle, and training rooms, as well as executive offices and classrooms. Founded in 2011, Zoom helps businesses and organizations bring their teams together in a frictionless environment to get more done. Zoom is a publicly traded company headquartered in San Jose, CA.
Title: “Leveraging the circadian clock to reprogram insect diapause
Speaker: Jacob Dayton (Tufts University)

Abstract: The timing of insects’ daily behaviors (feeding, movement) and seasonal development (diapause, migration) affects their population dynamics and distribution. Despite the implications for insect conservation and pest management, the genetic mechanisms underlying variation in timing are poorly understood. To fill this gap, I will report how manipulating the circadian clock gene function alters the daily activity and larval diapause of the European corn borer (Ostrinia nubilalis), a widespread corn pest.

NOTICE: We will be holding hybrid meetings to accommodate COVID-19 precautions and audience members from around the world.

For those able to attend, we will have an informal dinner at 6:00 pm at Cambridge Common Restaurant with the speaker, followed by our formal meeting (7:30 - 9:00 pm) in room MCZ101 of the Museum of Comparative Zoology (there will be signs to help direct). The meeting will begin with club announcements, followed by a 60-minute presentation by the invited speaker and Q&A. Membership is open to amateur and professional entomologists.

Also, As part of the CEC’s 150th anniversary celebrations, Scott Smyers has organized two exciting weekend trips to the White Mountains: July 12th-14th and August 16th-18th, 2024.

Please see the attached flyer (made by Andrea!) for additional details on location, lodging, outings, and speakers.

If you would like to stay at lodging from the Appalachian Mountain Club, we recommend  that you book soon; reservation codes are provided within the flyer.

We hope to get a good group of people up there! Reach out to Scott Smyers (smy...@oxbowassociates.com) with any questions.

CEC 150th Mt Washington.pdf
thumbnail_dayton.jpg