Re: Software for Mombasa Hub

1 view

Paul O'Rourke

May 25, 2009, 3:55:52 PM5/25/09
to Camara Linux, farid ali
Hi Ali,

Best thing to do is start a new 'thread' on this.  Let's see what help the group can give you (see below).  By the way, let's limit to open-source or at least free...

Regards,

Paul

From Ali in Mombasa:

Hi all,

Gary will be coming to Mombasa very soon, please if its possible i would like you to give him some software that i need for the hub in Kenya, i have almost 50 apple macs in the hub any linux software(yellow dog,suse,fedora,debian etc) that you can get please give it to Gary or even tiger os.Rory gave me a 30 gb 8.04 apt last year i would like to have a 6.06 apt if possible, the apt has been the most important software the hub has. any other thing you think will be useful for the hub dont be shy.
ALI

 Hi Rory,
Its been along time, well can you do me a favour please, Lothar is amongst the volunteers coming to Kenya again this year, can you please get him the apt for ubuntu 6.06, remember i have the 8.04 one if there is an update i dont mind. So i wll suggest that we put them in an external hardrive and i will pay for it, you can even install any other software you may think will be good for the hubs in Africa. We also have a lot of macs in the hubs any recommended linux  power pc iso files?

Thanks in advance.
ALI

Hi Ali & Lothar,
Sure I'm willling to help with this. Last time I downloaded the Ubuntu
repositories it was about 30GB in total. There's programmes you can use
to install a local apt mirror (that'd be what we're doing here). It's
called apt-mirror.
There might be an update for 8.04, but most likely everything has been
updated, so it would be as quick to start from scratch and re-download.
It'll take a while to download everything. I have some space on my local
laptop here, however not enough to download the whole thing. I can start
downloading, just to get the ball rolling...
Rory