Re: install script for custom moodle install

1 view

Paul O'Rourke

Apr 28, 2009, 6:14:06 PM4/28/09
to kmus...@dublin.ie, Camara Linux, Camara Linux, Camara Linux 09
Hi Chris,

Thanks for this.

I had figured that the IP Address approach was the way to go (even if it looks a bit strange with the port number tacked on the end).  Just needed a sense check that the hostname idea isn't really a runner.

I think the plan is for the Africa 09 volunteers to roll out the Moodle install when they go over this this summer.  So between now and then there's quite a bit of work to do!

Now I'm not familiar with the general networking set ups they're putting in place in the African schools, but I imagine there wouldn't be more than 25 or 50 PCs in a network - probably no more than a large handful).  So more than a soho set up, but less than an enterprise.  Definitely very useful to have a networking diagram in place, but I'm pretty sure they'll really only be able to draw it when they get over there.

I'm sure it will be very helpful for the volunteers to have one or two example drawings - soft copies as well as paper.

I'm thinking we could have this moodle app running on a "PC as Server", which should be fine for a reasonably small number of simultaneous users.  The quoted estimate in the book I was looking at is 1GB of RAM for every 50 concurrent users, with a min of 256MB for 1 user.  So we'll probably want to install on a decent-ish PC.

Kind Regards,

Paul