Re: Digest for camaradublin - 1 message in 1 topic

1 view

James Coogan

Nov 17, 2009, 6:04:22 AM11/17/09
to camara...@googlegroups.com, Cormac Lynch, Eoghan - Camara
Hey Rory/ Cormac/ Eoghan,

Just wondered if the €150 Million (supposed) investment by the
govnormeant is a way for Camara to get into Irish schools with
Linux-based operating systems?

As I heard it (Morning Ireland) Microsoft sponsored a schools IT
requirement in Kilkenny - to the tune of approx. €100,000.

Does this have legs?

Regards,

James

Stephen Judge

Nov 17, 2009, 1:47:27 PM11/17/09
to Camara
This is going to be discussed at a Irish Free Software Organisation
meeting on Thursday, details of the meeting here
http://mail.fsfeurope.org/pipermail/fsfe-ie/2009-November/002937.html,
suggestion to discuss this topic here
http://mail.fsfeurope.org/pipermail/fsfe-ie/2009-November/002938.html

On 17/11/2009 13:05, Ben North wrote:
> I'd have one agendum:
>
> http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1116/education.html [text copied below]
>
> describes how the government is going to give a pile of money to schools
> for computers. I think IFSO should write to somebody urging the use of
> Free Software as part of this initiative. Describe some successful
> deployments of Free Software in schools (no doubt we can find lots of
> case studies on the web), the educational benefits of knowing what's
> going on 'inside' the computer, growing use within industry, etc., etc.
> Not guaranteed to have a huge immediate effect, but will raise the
> profile of Free Software within education.

Dave Breslin

Nov 19, 2009, 8:20:34 AM11/19/09
to stephe...@gmail.com, Camara
The schools initiative is being monitored by a committee. The chair is a senior manager in Microsoft. Can't see Open Source getting a look in.

Dave Breslin

 Home  >  Press Room  >  Current Press Release

Back to List

16 November, 2009 - Taoiseach launches €150m plan for 'smart schools'

New action plan includes teaching laptop and digital projector for each classroom in major high-tech drive

Every classroom in the country is to get a teaching laptop, software and digital projector over the next three years as part of a €150 million plan for 'smart schools' launched today [Monday] by the Taoiseach, Brian Cowen TD.

The new action plan has been produced by the joint advisory group established by the Minister for Education and Science, Batt O'Keeffe TD, and builds on the earlier strategy group report, 'Investing Effectively in ICT in Schools'.

The advisory group was chaired by Paul Rellis, Managing Director of Microsoft Ireland, and comprised members of ICT Ireland, the Telecommunications and Internet Federation, the Irish Software Association, the Department of Education and Science, the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources, and the National Centre for Technology in Education.