IT Support for Irish Schools

Steven

Jul 7, 2010, 10:36:50 AM7/7/10
to Camara
Hi All,

As some of you know we have recently launched a new initiative to
replicate the Camara model in Ireland. This means that we are now
working with schools in disadvantaged areas to supply computers,
software and teacher training.

We are already working with six schools, the interest levels are high.
Obviously one of the key components of what we are doing is being able
to offer a support network to the schools to be able to help out if
something goes wrong.

If anyone has any interest in working with me on setting this up I'd
love to sit down with a few people to try to figure out how this
support element might potentially work!

Cheers,
Steven

Stephen Judge

Jul 7, 2010, 2:59:50 PM7/7/10
to Camara
Hi Stephen,

I may be also interested, I have some initial questions.

1. Is this project being run under the auspices of Camara or in
partnership with Camara
2. Are you working Linux or Windows PC's
3. What are you initial plans for soliciting PC donations.

I am a heavy Ubuntu Linux user and some Windows usage. I completed a
one year training course in IT teaching and I have some experience
with running a small organisation.

Regards,
Stephen Judge
http://www.stephenjudge.ie

Steven

Jul 8, 2010, 2:25:25 PM7/8/10
to Camara
Hi Stephen,

Great to hear from you.

In answer to your questions:
1. This project is a Camara project, being run by Camara from the
Thomas Street offices.
2. We are pro-choice, schools can specify a preference for either.
Initially we have seen a higher take up of Windows.
3. We are mainly channelling laptops unsuitable to be sent to Africa.

Once I have a few people that have expressed an interest I'd like to
get everyone together for a chat.

Cheers,
Steven

On Jul 7, 7:59 pm, Stephen Judge <stephenju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> I may be also interested, I have some initial questions.
>
> 1. Is this project being run under the auspices of Camara or in
> partnership with Camara
> 2. Are you working Linux or Windows PC's
> 3. What are you initial plans for soliciting PC donations.
>
> I am a heavy Ubuntu Linux user and some Windows usage.  I completed a
> one year training course in IT teaching and I have some experience
> with running a small organisation.
>
> Regards,
> Stephen Judgehttp://www.stephenjudge.ie

Stephen Judge

Jul 8, 2010, 3:48:30 PM7/8/10
to Camara
Hi Steven,

I would be interested in helping, although I am more interested in
help schools adopt Camarabuntu or Edubuntu rather than Windows. If
you are having a meeting with potential volunteers keep me in the
loop.

Regards,
Stephen Judge
http://www.stephenjudge.ie

bigbro

Jul 9, 2010, 5:23:06 AM7/9/10
to stephe...@gmail.com, Camara

    Hi,

Not sure if I can help, but I'd certainly be interested in keeping abreast of developments with this project (and helping out when and where I can.)

Best regards,
-->Gar

--
Gareth 'bigbro' Eason