Fwd: IT Support for Irish Schools

Rory McCann

Jul 9, 2010, 2:23:06 PM7/9/10
to Ubuntu Irish Team, Camara, Steven
Hi all, some of you might be interested in this.

Jul 9, 2010, 2:28:41 PM7/9/10
to ILUG, Steven, Camara
Hi all, some of you may be interested in the below
0x5373FB61.asc
0x5373FB61.asc
signature.asc

Steven Daly

Jul 13, 2010, 6:59:03 AM7/13/10
to Shane Fagan, tDR112, Bob Jolliffe, Camara, Ubuntu Irish Team, Rohit Thakral
Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies.

The operating system that we are using so far has been Windows XP Pro. We do offer Linux to schools but they are much more inclined to go for the Windows option. In terms of encouraging one or the other, I try to present the advantages and disadvantages of both and leave the school to decide for itself.

My plan is basic so far. I was thinking the best approach may be simply to set up a Google Group on which anyone interested can contribute. Access to this will be given to all Camara schools in Ireland and can be used as an advice point for technical problems. Offering support is obviously one of the most difficult aspect of the Camara model in Ireland, as always, it comes down to limited resources.

Would anyone have any feedback, suggestions, improvements on that idea?

Thanks,
Steven

On 13 July 2010 10:24, Shane Fagan <shanepat...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
Well my secondary school had macs but most schools wouldnt be able to
afford them.

--fagan

On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 09:44 +0100, tDR112 wrote:
> What operating system are you putting on these computers. I would
> think most Irish schools would want Windows
> Jeffrey Roe,
> www.tog.ie
>

> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Bob Jolliffe <bobjo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm also interested and would be happy to talk/collaborate where I can.
> >
> > Regards
> > Bob
> >
> > On 11 July 2010 10:42, Rohit Thakral <thakra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi Rory/Steven,
> >> Will be happy to discuss and collaborate.
> >> Give us a shout whenever suits.
> >> Regards
> >> Rohit
> >> Rohit Thakral
> >> 086 722 1111
> >> www.targetintegration.com
> >> www.knowledgement.ie
> >>>

> >> --

Dave Breslin

Jul 13, 2010, 1:49:56 PM7/13/10
to dal...@gmail.com, Shane Fagan, tDR112, Bob Jolliffe, Camara, Ubuntu Irish Team, Rohit Thakral
Hi Stephen,

Just a thought... Will these PCs or Laptops be on a network with internet access??
If so, we could maybe provide remote support if they open a port on their firewall. That way Camara could organise a rota for support with volunteers getting involved as well.
It really is down to resources as you say.

Dave Breslin

Steven Daly

Jul 14, 2010, 6:03:55 AM7/14/10
to Dave Breslin, Shane Fagan, tDR112, Bob Jolliffe, Camara, Ubuntu Irish Team, Rohit Thakral
Hi,

So far 5 schools are onboard with 2 more coming down the line in the immediate future. The support would be for the 'IT person' (usually a teacher with an interest in this stuff doing unpaid extra work after hours)

Dave, this idea is something that really interests me. Is it something that is difficult to implement?

The majority of schools will have their computers networked and all will have internet access in some form or other.

I know this model is dependent on internet access but is it also completely dependent on a network being in existence? I.e can remote support be offered without the computers being networked? This is where my lack of technical knowledge let's me down :(

Thanks,
Steven

Paul Eustace

Jul 14, 2010, 7:49:42 AM7/14/10
to dal...@gmail.com, Dave Breslin, Shane Fagan, tDR112, Bob Jolliffe, Camara, Ubuntu Irish Team, Rohit Thakral

the schools connection to the internet is pretty locked down so without checking it , I'd be fairly sure we can't connect in unless they connect out first.

logmein or similar (teamview / netmeeting)  would allow them to contact us (license needs to be checked , also T&C for schools internet too)

in the past I've setup stuff where you have one machine that is more open to the WAN and locked down hard to the LAN, so  remote management is done via it,
wake up on lan means all the person on site has to do is call you from the open PC and then you can wake up and work on any other PC from it
 - means less funny stuff on the other pc's and if you are really stuck you can use psexec to do just about anything

PaulE

--
Tel: 087 9878669