Road building expected to reduce traffic

Roland Perry

Jul 16, 2021, 1:27:47 AM7/16/21
New perspective on "predict and provide":

A10 in Cambridgeshire to be dualled to reduce traffic

According to CambridshireLive website.
--
Roland Perry

David Williams

Jul 16, 2021, 5:05:39 AM7/16/21
Roland Perry <rol...@perry.co.uk> writes:

> New perspective on "predict and provide":
>
> A10 in Cambridgeshire to be dualled to reduce traffic
>
> According to CambridshireLive website.

And " jams" tomorrow - in that headline? :-)

That's assuming the editorial staff wake up in time.

--
David

Roland Perry

Jul 16, 2021, 5:59:44 AM7/16/21
In message <87czrif...@yahoo.co.uk>, at 10:05:37 on Fri, 16 Jul
2021, David Williams <davi...@yahoo.co.uk> remarked:
Something I don't understand, having been suck on the A10 in the rush
hour many times, is how dualling it will avoid the actual cause, which
is the Milton roundabout, southbound.

Northbound, all that's real needed is a Stretham bypass. Or actually a
Stretham bypass bypass, because the current road avoids the centre of
the village already.
--
Roland Perry

Alan

Jul 16, 2021, 6:37:29 AM7/16/21
On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 10:53:51 +0100, Roland Perry <rol...@perry.co.uk>
wrote:

> In message <87czrif...@yahoo.co.uk>, at 10:05:37 on Fri, 16 Jul
> 2021, David Williams <davi...@yahoo.co.uk> remarked:
>> Roland Perry <rol...@perry.co.uk> writes:
>>
>>> New perspective on "predict and provide":
>>>
>>> A10 in Cambridgeshire to be dualled to reduce traffic
>>>
>>> According to CambridshireLive website.
>>
>> And " jams" tomorrow - in that headline? :-)
>>
>> That's assuming the editorial staff wake up in time.
>
> Something I don't understand, having been suck on the A10 in the rush
> hour many times, is how dualling it will avoid the actual cause, which
> is the Milton roundabout, southbound.

Mornings I would queue from Grunty Fen Junction (very often Little
Thetford) to Stretham, and then Amey roundabout (sometimes Chittering) to
the Research Park. So I could see advantages of a better road south.

> Northbound, all that's real needed is a Stretham bypass. Or actually a
> Stretham bypass bypass, because the current road avoids the centre of
> the village already.

Leaving the Research Park at 5pm for a few years up to Covid, I would
queue most days from there to Chittering, then from the Autograss Club
(sometimes the Lazy Otter) to Stretham, and then again from Little
Thetford to Ely A142 roundabout. Basically, it was a 40 minute trip for
under ten miles. So I would expect some relief by dualling, depending
upon how it ended. Dumping at the A142 without improving that further,
probably wouldn't help much.

But I guess it all depends upon the timing, and of course, any incident
has very little leeway to allow traffic flow on a single lane road.

But as I've now retired, it's all no longer a worry :-)

--
Alan

Rupert Moss-Eccardt

Jul 16, 2021, 6:57:49 AM7/16/21
On 16 Jul 2021 11:37, Alan wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 10:53:51 +0100, Roland Perry <rol...@perry.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> In message <87czrif...@yahoo.co.uk>, at 10:05:37 on Fri, 16 Jul
>> 2021, David Williams <davi...@yahoo.co.uk> remarked:

>>> And " jams" tomorrow - in that headline? :-)
>>>
>>> That's assuming the editorial staff wake up in time.
>>
>> Something I don't understand, having been suck on the A10 in the rush
>> hour many times, is how dualling it will avoid the actual cause, which
>> is the Milton roundabout, southbound.
>
> Mornings I would queue from Grunty Fen Junction (very often Little
> Thetford) to Stretham, and then Amey roundabout (sometimes Chittering) to
> the Research Park. So I could see advantages of a better road south.

Alternatives were suggested to the Palmer concrete plan of fixing the
junctions to remove the pinch points but the local Conservatives
decided to make dualling the thing to argue about.
They lost control of the County Council.

>> Northbound, all that's real needed is a Stretham bypass. Or actually a
>> Stretham bypass bypass, because the current road avoids the centre of
>> the village already.
>
> Leaving the Research Park at 5pm for a few years up to Covid, I would
> queue most days from there to Chittering, then from the Autograss Club
> (sometimes the Lazy Otter) to Stretham, and then again from Little
> Thetford to Ely A142 roundabout. Basically, it was a 40 minute trip for
> under ten miles. So I would expect some relief by dualling, depending
> upon how it ended. Dumping at the A142 without improving that further,
> probably wouldn't help much.

Yes, dualling will certainly get one to the queues at the end much more
quickly but I think the volume of the queues will still be the same.

At one end, the A10/A14/Cambridge/Milton junction will need a lot of
work to not make that the same size queue as it currently is.

At the other, it is even worse with the dual carriageway dumping its
load at the "BP" roundabout. None of the proposed routes being
assessed have anything to say about how that junction is going to work.

Roland Perry

Jul 16, 2021, 8:53:29 AM7/16/21
In message <ild71b...@mid.individual.net>, at 11:57:44 on Fri, 16 Jul
2021, Rupert Moss-Eccardt <n...@moss-eccardt.com> remarked:

>>> Northbound, all that's real needed is a Stretham bypass. Or actually a
>>> Stretham bypass bypass, because the current road avoids the centre of
>>> the village already.
>>
>> Leaving the Research Park at 5pm for a few years up to Covid, I would
>> queue most days from there to Chittering, then from the Autograss Club
>> (sometimes the Lazy Otter) to Stretham, and then again from Little
>> Thetford to Ely A142 roundabout. Basically, it was a 40 minute trip for
>> under ten miles. So I would expect some relief by dualling, depending
>> upon how it ended. Dumping at the A142 without improving that further,
>> probably wouldn't help much.
>
>Yes, dualling will certainly get one to the queues at the end much more
>quickly but I think the volume of the queues will still be the same.
>
>At one end, the A10/A14/Cambridge/Milton junction will need a lot of
>work to not make that the same size queue as it currently is.
>
>At the other, it is even worse with the dual carriageway dumping its
>load at the "BP" roundabout. None of the proposed routes being
>assessed have anything to say about how that junction is going to work.

Very badly, given the cross-flow from Soham to Chatteris.

Let alone the locals trying to get to the Lancaster Way area (as either
customers or employees).
--
Roland Perry