What happened to News Years Day sales?

42 views
Skip to first unread message

Vir Campestris

unread,
Jan 3, 2022, 4:58:13 PMJan 3
to
We went into town on Saturday.

Almost nothing open :(

In the end all we bought was lunch and one book.

Andy

Fevric J. Glandules

unread,
Jan 3, 2022, 6:38:57 PMJan 3
to
Vir Campestris wrote:

> In the end all we bought was lunch and one book.

What was the book?

Alan

unread,
Jan 4, 2022, 4:30:59 AMJan 4
to
They've been on the internet since pre Black Friday!

--
Alan

Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Chris Shore

unread,
Jan 4, 2022, 8:16:58 AMJan 4
to
I don't honestly remember New Year's Day Sales as a thing at all. Boxing Day sales were a thing but they seem to start well before Christmas these days. And I'm not convinced that there are ever any very good reductions anyway...

Roland Perry

unread,
Jan 4, 2022, 9:40:07 AMJan 4
to
In message <0a87d51c-0cf5-4167...@googlegroups.com>, at
05:16:57 on Tue, 4 Jan 2022, Chris Shore
<chris.shore%ntlwor...@gtempaccount.com> remarked:
New Year Sales were a way to clear out old stock to make way for new
arrivals.

First you got the Xmas stock off the shelves, and then for a week put
the old stock out at often very significant discounts.

Modern supply chain logistics, and chain stores buying so much on
sale-or-return, with the wholesalers having dedicated "outlet stores"
(often online now) has meant it's no longer required for that purpose.
Although like the very recent "Black Friday" sales it's an excuse to
market new stock at what is claimed to be a saving.
--
Roland Perry

The Natural Philosopher

unread,
Jan 4, 2022, 10:42:45 AMJan 4
to
On 04/01/2022 13:16, Chris Shore wrote:
> And I'm not convinced that there are ever any very good reductions
> anyway...
>
Amen to that...

Mince pies were very cheap in Waitrose. 50p a box of 6...


--
The biggest threat to humanity comes from socialism, which has utterly
diverted our attention away from what really matters to our existential
survival, to indulging in navel gazing and faux moral investigations
into what the world ought to be, whilst we fail utterly to deal with
what it actually is.

Roland Perry

unread,
Jan 4, 2022, 11:00:20 AMJan 4
to
In message <sr1ptk$2du$1...@dont-email.me>, at 15:42:44 on Tue, 4 Jan 2022,
The Natural Philosopher <t...@invalid.invalid> remarked:
>On 04/01/2022 13:16, Chris Shore wrote:

>> And I'm not convinced that there are ever any very good reductions
>> anyway...
>>
>Amen to that...
>
>Mince pies were very cheap in Waitrose. 50p a box of 6...

My local Tesco seems to have got the hang of mince pies now. In former
years they'd have palette-loads of them being almost given away. Or
maybe they never had that many to begin with.
--
Roland Perry

Rupert Moss-Eccardt

unread,
Jan 4, 2022, 5:59:28 PMJan 4
to
Perhaps you should have gone out on New Years Day (observed), not the
1st of January

Roland Perry

unread,
Jan 5, 2022, 1:43:51 AMJan 5
to
In message <j3k1qd...@mid.individual.net>, at 22:59:24 on Tue, 4 Jan
2022, Rupert Moss-Eccardt <n...@moss-eccardt.com> remarked:
But Saturday the 1st was to all intents and purposes a normal working
day, so why were the shops [which would unlike offices normally be open
on a Saturday] reportedly shut?
--
Roland Perry

Rupert Moss-Eccardt

unread,
Jan 5, 2022, 1:47:15 PMJan 5
to
By inspection it clearly wasn't a normal working day.
Mind you we could see shops closing early on the Friday, too.

Roland Perry

unread,
Jan 6, 2022, 2:17:42 AMJan 6
to
In message <j3m7dh...@mid.individual.net>, at 18:47:12 on Wed, 5 Jan
2022, Rupert Moss-Eccardt <n...@moss-eccardt.com> remarked:
>On 5 Jan 2022 06:37, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <j3k1qd...@mid.individual.net>, at 22:59:24 on Tue, 4 Jan
>> 2022, Rupert Moss-Eccardt <n...@moss-eccardt.com> remarked:
>>>On 3 Jan 2022 21:58, Vir Campestris wrote:
>>
>>>> We went into town on Saturday.
>>>>
>>>> Almost nothing open :(
>>>>
>>>> In the end all we bought was lunch and one book.
>>>
>>>Perhaps you should have gone out on New Years Day (observed), not the
>>>1st of January
>>
>> But Saturday the 1st was to all intents and purposes a normal working
>> day, so why were the shops [which would unlike offices normally be open
>> on a Saturday] reportedly shut?
>
>By inspection it clearly wasn't a normal working day.
>Mind you we could see shops closing early on the Friday, too.

People (shopkeepers even) may not have treated it like a normal working
day, but it was. The Bank Holiday was moved to Monday.
--
Roland Perry

Vir Campestris

unread,
Jan 7, 2022, 4:12:48 PMJan 7
to
When I say "we" I actually mean SWMBO. And I can't remember what it was.

Andy
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages