Radio 4 94.5

Tim Ward

Feb 20, 2022, 1:19:51 PM2/20/22
Is it just me or has it gone all crackly today for everybody?

Can't be storm damage to my antenna, 'cos that's in the loft, not
outside on the chimney.

--
Tim Ward - 07801 703 600
www.brettward.co.uk

David Williams

Feb 20, 2022, 6:45:55 PM2/20/22
Tim Ward <t...@brettward.co.uk> writes:

> Is it just me or has it gone all crackly today for everybody?

I just checked in the north of Cambridge and got hiss or crackles
depending on which radio set I used but not enough to make speech
unintelligible. This was also true on my presets for Radio 2 and
Radio 3. Radio Cambridgeshire on 96.00 MHz was much cleaner audio.

If you try Radio 4 on 93.30 MHz, do you get a better result? I
walked a portable radio around the house, and got variable but
generally better quality on 93.30 than 94.50. The simple signal
strength indication on that radio was low to zero for both
frequencies.

> Can't be storm damage to my antenna, 'cos that's in the loft, not
> outside on the chimney.

<StormEunice> Do you still have a roof? </> Anyway, loft aerials
and wiring can have their own problems.

--
David

Tim Ward

Feb 21, 2022, 4:27:19 AM2/21/22
On 20/02/2022 23:45, David Williams wrote:

> If you try Radio 4 on 93.30 MHz, do you get a better result?

Haven't fallen back to 93.3 for, probably, decades. Might give it a try
if 94.5 is still bad next time I want to listen on the mains setup (my
portable radio is now digital).

David Williams

Feb 21, 2022, 6:49:02 AM2/21/22
Tim Ward <t...@brettward.co.uk> writes:

> On 20/02/2022 23:45, David Williams wrote:
>>
>> If you try Radio 4 on 93.30 MHz, do you get a better result?
>
> Haven't fallen back to 93.3 for, probably, decades. Might give it a
> try if 94.5 is still bad next time I want to listen on the mains setup
> (my portable radio is now digital).

Both those frequencies are poor for me this morning. Meanwhile,
DAB/DAB+ is performing better than usual. Go figure ...

--
David

tony sayer

Feb 21, 2022, 7:16:04 AM2/21/22
In article <87zgmks...@yahoo.co.uk>, David Williams
<davi...@yahoo.co.uk> scribeth thus
Fine here in Trumpington FM and DABble!

93.5 is the Peterborough BBC Radio 4 transmitter Cambridge 93.3 just
relays Peterborough it generally is the better signal for Cambridge...

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/mapsys/map.php?mapid=38

Thats from the Madingley transmitter here. If there is a fault with the
audio from P'boro then Madingley will just relays what it receives...

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallerypage.php?txid=1138&pageid=2326

--
Tony Sayer

Vir Campestris

Feb 21, 2022, 4:28:37 PM2/21/22
On 21/02/2022 12:10, tony sayer wrote:
> 93.5 is the Peterborough BBC Radio 4 transmitter Cambridge 93.3 just
> relays Peterborough it generally is the better signal for Cambridge...

This is too technical for the feedback I have - which is that my clock
radio played R4 as normal this morning. It's real analogue, so even if I
go and look at it I probably can't tell which frequency it's on!

Andy

ianb

Feb 22, 2022, 3:05:34 AM2/22/22
On 21/02/2022 12:10, tony sayer wrote:
> In article <87zgmks...@yahoo.co.uk>, David Williams
> <davi...@yahoo.co.uk> scribeth thus
>> Tim Ward <t...@brettward.co.uk> writes:

>>> Haven't fallen back to 93.3 for, probably, decades. Might give it a
>>> try if 94.5 is still bad next time I want to listen on the mains setup
>>> (my portable radio is now digital).
>>
>> Both those frequencies are poor for me this morning. Meanwhile,
>> DAB/DAB+ is performing better than usual. Go figure ...
>>

> Fine here in Trumpington FM and DABble!
>
> 93.5 is the Peterborough BBC Radio 4 transmitter Cambridge 93.3 just
> relays Peterborough it generally is the better signal for Cambridge...

I thought Pbro was 94.5 as per the message header not 93.5

> http://tx.mb21.co.uk/mapsys/map.php?mapid=38
>
> Thats from the Madingley transmitter here. If there is a fault with the
> audio from P'boro then Madingley will just relays what it receives...
>

> http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallerypage.php?txid=1138&pageid=2326

tony sayer

Feb 23, 2022, 3:08:17 PM2/23/22
In article <sv25gc$vg1$1...@dont-email.me>, ianb <i.bi...@ntlworld.com>
scribeth thus
>On 21/02/2022 12:10, tony sayer wrote:
>> In article <87zgmks...@yahoo.co.uk>, David Williams
>> <davi...@yahoo.co.uk> scribeth thus

>>> Both those frequencies are poor for me this morning. Meanwhile,
>>> DAB/DAB+ is performing better than usual. Go figure ...
>>>

>> Fine here in Trumpington FM and DABble!
>>
>> 93.5 is the Peterborough BBC Radio 4 transmitter Cambridge 93.3 just
>> relays Peterborough it generally is the better signal for Cambridge...
>>

>I thought Pbro was 94.5 as per the message header not 93.5

Whoops!!!!

>> http://tx.mb21.co.uk/mapsys/map.php?mapid=38
>>
>> Thats from the Madingley transmitter here. If there is a fault with the
>> audio from P'boro then Madingley will just relays what it receives...
>>

>> http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallerypage.php?txid=1138&pageid=2326

In the original frequency plan of the home light and third stations they
were with a very rare exception all 2.2 MHz apart so;

BBC radio 2 (light) at Cam is 88.9

BBC Radio 3 (Third) at Cam is 91.1

BBC Radio 4 (home) at Cam is 93.3

Peterborough is;

BBC Radio 2 90.1

BBC Radio 3 92.3

BBC Radio 4 94.5

So there!..

In the South of Cambridgeshire the original Wrotham transmitter, in Kent
built in 1955 IIRC is sometimes used it was and still is;

BBC radio 2 89.1

BBC Radio 3 91.3

BBC Radio 4 93.5

quite close in frequency to Cambridge but it works fine!...

Tim Ward

Feb 23, 2022, 4:25:38 PM2/23/22
On 23/02/2022 20:05, tony sayer wrote:

> In the original frequency plan of the home light and third stations they
> were with a very rare exception all 2.2 MHz apart so;
>
> BBC radio 2 (light) at Cam is 88.9
> BBC Radio 3 (Third) at Cam is 91.1
> BBC Radio 4 (home) at Cam is 93.3
>
> Peterborough is;
>
> BBC Radio 2 90.1
> BBC Radio 3 92.3
> BBC Radio 4 94.5
>
> So there!..
>
> In the South of Cambridgeshire the original Wrotham transmitter, in Kent
> built in 1955 IIRC is sometimes used it was and still is;
>
> BBC radio 2 89.1
> BBC Radio 3 91.3
> BBC Radio 4 93.5
>
> quite close in frequency to Cambridge but it works fine!...

The choice used to be, IIRC, between Wrotham in stereo or a relay on the
gasworks in Cambridge in mono. So, if I'm remembering correctly, this is
why the antenna in my loft is pointing at Wrotham - I have a very vague
recollection of going up there with a compass to try to point it in
roughly the right direction.

tony sayer

Feb 24, 2022, 3:39:18 PM2/24/22
In article <sv68oh$3ju$1...@dont-email.me>, Tim Ward <t...@brettward.co.uk>
scribeth thus
Shouldn't be too difficult with modern mapping!.

But it will be worthwhile as the two transmitters are quite close in
frequency..