1960s Restaurants

bobroberts593

Jan 4, 2011, 2:35:20 PM1/4/11
Can any of the old timers on here recall the names of any restaurants
that were open in Cambridge in the 1960s? My confused old dad, who
visited once in 1963, was was trying to remember where he went for
lunch but couldn't. It was on King's Parade possibly.

Sam Holloway

Jan 4, 2011, 3:12:25 PM1/4/11

The Copper Kettle's been around on King's Parade for a long time, so
could well be that. (The restaurant is mentioned in Porterhouse Blue,
which was published in 1974.)

Sam

Tim Ward

Jan 4, 2011, 3:13:22 PM1/4/11
The other one that was just before my time was the Whim.

--
Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear
Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board - www.brettward.co.uk/canb

The Natural Philosopher

Jan 4, 2011, 4:29:45 PM1/4/11
Tim Ward wrote:
> The other one that was just before my time was the Whim.

Trinity street that one.

Where Laura Ashley is..

Eros x 3, Corner house, Gardenia.. Arts theatre snack bar..Little Rose.

Roland Perry

Jan 4, 2011, 4:28:50 PM1/4/11
In message
<44d02fbf-f937-4ccd...@i25g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, at
11:35:20 on Tue, 4 Jan 2011, bobroberts593 <bobrob...@yahoo.ca>
remarked:

There's the Corner House (King St and Malcolm St) now apparently a "Bun
Shop", which was very popular with students, plus Eros 1, 2 & 3. I think
only #2, rebranded Eraina, still exists. (#1 was upstairs in Petty Cury
and #3 opposite John's).
--
Roland Perry

Roland Perry

Jan 4, 2011, 4:29:32 PM1/4/11
In message <8ohdb3...@mid.individual.net>, at 20:13:22 on Tue, 4 Jan
2011, Tim Ward <t...@brettward.co.uk> remarked:

>The other one that was just before my time was the Whim.

Before? I'm sure I remember that one.
--
Roland Perry

Sam Holloway

Jan 4, 2011, 4:47:08 PM1/4/11
On Jan 4, 9:28 pm, Roland Perry <rol...@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message
> <44d02fbf-f937-4ccd-ac60-25f1f4550...@i25g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, at
> 11:35:20 on Tue, 4 Jan 2011, bobroberts593 <bobroberts...@yahoo.ca>

> remarked:
>
> >Can any of the old timers on here recall the names of any restaurants
> >that were open in Cambridge in the 1960s? My confused old dad, who
> >visited once in 1963, was was trying to remember where he went for
> >lunch but couldn't. It was on King's Parade possibly.
>
> There's the Corner House (King St and Malcolm St) now apparently "Bun

> Shop", which was very popular with students

When I arrived in Cambridge in 1997, the corner premises was already
the Bun Shop (split into four : Irish bar, wine bar, restaurant, tapas
bar). But the place next door (now Yippee noodle bar) was called the
Cornerhouse - so I'm wondering, did the Cornerhouse move away from the
corner?

Sam

The Natural Philosopher

Jan 4, 2011, 4:48:25 PM1/4/11

Yes.
That whole area was redeveloped in the 70's

> Sam

Tim Ward

Jan 4, 2011, 4:58:50 PM1/4/11
"Roland Perry" <rol...@perry.co.uk> wrote in message

Your time in Cambridge started before mine :-)

Actually I think you're right, I think it didn't close until after I'd
arrived, but I never went in there.

Sam Holloway

Jan 4, 2011, 5:14:48 PM1/4/11
On Jan 4, 9:48 pm, The Natural Philosopher <t...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

Thanks - that makes sense from the architecture!

I only went in the Cornerhouse a couple of times (it must have closed
within my first year at Cam) - I remember it being similar in menu to
the Eriana (massive choice, chips with everything). Other than the
Eriana, I can't think of any of that sort of place left in Cambridge
now.

How old is the Varsity restaurant on St Andrews St?

Sam

Al Grant

Jan 4, 2011, 5:21:16 PM1/4/11
On Jan 4, 9:29 pm, The Natural Philosopher <t...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

> Eros x 3, Corner house, Gardenia.. Arts theatre snack bar..Little Rose.

The Kohinoor opposite John's was still there wasn't it?
First curry place outside London.

Espen Koht

Jan 4, 2011, 7:12:38 PM1/4/11
In article
<546416c2-5cd7-4670...@v17g2000vbo.googlegroups.com>,
Sam Holloway <sam.ho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I remember it being similar in menu to
> the Eriana (massive choice, chips with everything).

Chips and peas, surely? That's been the description since I've been in
Cambridge.

rosen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Jan 4, 2011, 7:27:47 PM1/4/11
In article
<8d43cb76-a893-4b8e...@z9g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>,
sam.ho...@gmail.com (Sam Holloway) wrote:

I went regularly to the Corner House when it was on the corner of King St
and Malcolm St. What is now the Malcolm Place flats with the shops below
was built in two phases in 1970, first the flats and from what is now the
noodle bar to Manor Street and secondly the Kings Arms pub on the corner,
since renamed the Bun Shop. In those days the Bun Shop was in St Tibbs Row.

Another restaurant in the City Centre in the 1969s was the Civic
Restaurant and Hang Chow in Petty Cury.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

rosen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Jan 4, 2011, 7:27:47 PM1/4/11
In article
<546416c2-5cd7-4670...@v17g2000vbo.googlegroups.com>,
sam.ho...@gmail.com (Sam Holloway) wrote:

Very. It was there in the 1960s, along with the Eros (just one in petty
Cury in those days) and the Gardenia in the Greek Cypriot establishments.
Then there was another Eros in St Johns St and Panos in Hills Road. The
Eraina came later after the original Eros closed.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry

Jan 5, 2011, 2:45:20 AM1/5/11
In message <quCdnWwqZK6eJr7Q...@giganews.com>, at 18:27:47
on Tue, 4 Jan 2011, rosen...@cix.compulink.co.uk remarked:

>the Eros (just one in petty Cury in those days) and the Gardenia in the
>Greek Cypriot establishments. Then there was another Eros in St Johns
>St and Panos in Hills Road. The Eraina came later after the original
>Eros closed.

There were three Eros's, surely Eraina was one of them?
--
Roland Perry

ZULU

Jan 5, 2011, 3:49:00 AM1/5/11

"The Natural Philosopher" <t...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

ITYM *ruined*

--
zulu

rosen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Jan 5, 2011, 3:54:23 AM1/5/11
In article <KUnJhYMQ...@perry.co.uk>, rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland
Perry) wrote:

I'm not clear on that.I only clearly recall Eros in Petty Cury and St
John's St. It may be that the Eraina opened before the Petty Cury one
closed. I wasn't eating out so much then.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

ZULU

Jan 5, 2011, 3:55:49 AM1/5/11

<rosen...@cix.compulink.co.uk> wrote in message

I haven't seen the Whim mentioned...
Egg, beans and chips.
Three and ninepence!

--
zulu

ke...@cam.ac.uk

Jan 5, 2011, 7:08:44 AM1/5/11
>How old is the Varsity restaurant on St Andrews St?

It was there in the mid-Sixties. So was the Gardenia in Rose Crescent, and of
course the Corner House and the Copper Kettle. I can't remember going anywhere
else on KP. Then there was the Dorothy.

Katy

ke...@cam.ac.uk

Jan 5, 2011, 7:10:53 AM1/5/11
In article <quCdnWwqZK6eJr7Q...@giganews.com>,

<rosen...@cix.compulink.co.uk> wrote:
>> How old is the Varsity restaurant on St Andrews St?
>
>Very. It was there in the 1960s, along with the Eros (just one in petty
>Cury in those days) and the Gardenia in the Greek Cypriot establishments.
>Then there was another Eros in St Johns St and Panos in Hills Road. The
>Eraina came later after the original Eros closed.

There was also the Friar House - I think next door to the present Eraina. That
was certainly there in the Sixties.

Panos is much later, though - it postdates the operating system of the same
name, as I remember. Eighties?

Katy

Mark Ayliffe

Jan 5, 2011, 8:12:32 AM1/5/11
On or about 2011-01-04,
Tim Ward <t...@brettward.co.uk> illuminated us with:

> "Roland Perry" <rol...@perry.co.uk> wrote in message
>> In message <8ohdb3...@mid.individual.net>, at 20:13:22 on Tue, 4 Jan
>> 2011, Tim Ward <t...@brettward.co.uk> remarked:
>>
>>>The other one that was just before my time was the Whim.
>>
>> Before? I'm sure I remember that one.
>
> Your time in Cambridge started before mine :-)
>
> Actually I think you're right, I think it didn't close until after I'd
> arrived, but I never went in there.

It was open for most of my time as an undergraduate and I think I was
after you (77-80).

On KP there was a wine shop on the corner of Bene't st. with a
restuarant above that I visited a couple of times back then. But I
can't recall the name.

--
Mark
Real email address | Much can be achieved with a smile.

Mark Ayliffe

Jan 5, 2011, 8:15:43 AM1/5/11
On or about 2011-01-05,
rosen...@cix.compulink.co.uk <rosen...@cix.compulink.co.uk> illuminated us with:

I'm fairly sure all three were operating in the late '70's. There was
also then the original Waffles and Potters in the planning-blighted
kite.

--
Mark
Real email address | Just keep going and try not to think about

rosen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Jan 5, 2011, 9:21:35 AM1/5/11
In article <ig1n4d$gg9$1...@smaug.linux.pwf.cam.ac.uk>, ke...@cam.ac.uk ()
wrote:

Possibly. It was set up by Panos Antoniou who previously ran the Gardenia.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Stephen Borrill

Jan 5, 2011, 12:10:06 PM1/5/11
On Jan 5, 12:10 pm, k...@cam.ac.uk wrote:
> In article <quCdnWwqZK6eJr7QnZ2dnUVZ8n2dn...@giganews.com>,

I heard it was the other way round. The restaurant name was used by
people struggling for a name for their OS.

Could well be an urban myth, of course.

--
Stephen

Tim Ward

Jan 5, 2011, 12:46:23 PM1/5/11
"Roland Perry" <rol...@perry.co.uk> wrote in message

Correct.

Tim Ward

Jan 5, 2011, 12:47:14 PM1/5/11
"ZULU" <zulu.romeo...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> I haven't seen the Whim mentioned...

It has been.

rosen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Jan 5, 2011, 12:51:40 PM1/5/11
In article
<f986bc2c-4be6-4f8e...@g26g2000vbz.googlegroups.com>,
gsbo...@precedence.co.uk (Stephen Borrill) wrote:

Could be based on the person. He was around in the 1960s, if not before.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Jules Richardson

Jan 5, 2011, 1:23:08 PM1/5/11
On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 09:10:06 -0800, Stephen Borrill wrote:
>> Panos is much later, though - it postdates the operating system of the
>> same name, as I remember.  Eighties?
>
> I heard it was the other way round. The restaurant name was used by
> people struggling for a name for their OS.
>
> Could well be an urban myth, of course.

Well, as I recall the ROM-resident routines were known as Pandora, so
it's logical for 'Panos' to be the on-disk OS portion. I'm not certain
that Pandora as a name pre-dates Panos, though; it's possible they named
Pandora after settling on the OS name.

I do have Panos & Pandora source code lurking somewhere, but IIRC they're
a little lacking in the comments department :-)

cheers

Jules

Steve Slatcher

Jan 5, 2011, 3:26:50 PM1/5/11
On 04/01/2011 19:35, bobroberts593 wrote:
> Can any of the old timers on here recall the names of any restaurants
> that were open in Cambridge in the 1960s? My confused old dad, who
> visited once in 1963, was was trying to remember where he went for
> lunch but couldn't. It was on King's Parade possibly.

If nothing comes up here, Kelly's trade directory for Cambridge in that
year lists businesses on a street-by-street basis. Cambridge Central
Library should have a copy.

--
www.winenous.co.uk

Alan J. Wylie

Jan 5, 2011, 5:30:29 PM1/5/11
Mark Ayliffe <mark.see.sig.f...@ayliffe.invalid> writes:

>> I'm not clear on that.I only clearly recall Eros in Petty Cury and St
>> John's St. It may be that the Eraina opened before the Petty Cury one
>> closed. I wasn't eating out so much then.
>
> I'm fairly sure all three were operating in the late '70's. There was
> also then the original Waffles and Potters in the planning-blighted
> kite.

The 1979-1980 Varsity Handbook has this to say:

--
Alan J. Wylie http://www.wylie.me.uk/

Alan J. Wylie

Jan 5, 2011, 5:34:19 PM1/5/11
"ZULU" <zulu.romeo...@ntlworld.com> writes:

> I haven't seen the Whim mentioned...

Nor Colonel Fudpuckers

Fevric J. Glandules

Jan 5, 2011, 5:36:10 PM1/5/11
ke...@cam.ac.uk wrote:

> Panos is much later, though - it postdates the operating system of the same
> name, as I remember.

What a *very* cam.misc post.

Espen Koht

Jan 5, 2011, 7:07:46 PM1/5/11
In article <874o9n6...@devnull.wylie.me.uk>,

al...@wylie.me.uk (Alan J. Wylie) wrote:

> The service can be very erratic, but the Eros, along with the
> | Whim fills a basic need in Cambridge, stuffing starving students with
> | rice, veg and chips every lunchtime and evening.

A bit late to make this comment I admit, but isn't that what the College
kitchens are for? Apart from 70s vinyl and faux panel-wood I always
thought the Eraina was the best approximation a visitor could easily get
to College dining (ignoring the illusion of choice you get at Eraina
which can be explained away as a compression of time summarizing an
entire year of college dining hall in a single menu).

The Natural Philosopher

Jan 5, 2011, 7:35:07 PM1/5/11

Oh no, college food was completely inedible.

I think I ate there half a dozen times in the first two weeks, and then
never again.

Cheaper + better to cook your own.

Kings food was OK-ish though.

rosen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Jan 5, 2011, 8:05:30 PM1/5/11
In article <874o9n6...@devnull.wylie.me.uk>, al...@wylie.me.uk (Alan J.
Wylie) wrote:

Well, with that challenge I had to dig out my old Varsity Handjobs.

The 1977/8 edition has Eros in St John's St and Petty Cury, plus the
"distinctly upmarket "Third Eros" in Free School Lane.

The 1973/4 and 1974/5 editions only have the Eros in Petty Cury, as do all
the earlier ones I have.

In the 1960s there was the Turk's Head, the original Berni Inn in Trinity
St, and there was something called the Seven Star. Both were in the 1965-6
edition (including the Seven Star - now Stazione?). I remember "eating
out" in the Turk's Head.

The 1962/3 book has a quite extensive list of long gone establishments.
Only a few of them are still the locations of eating places.

Anyone ever heard of Francis (where Stazione now is), El Patio (Sidney
St), Scotch Hoose (Market Hill next to the Victoria Cinema), K.P. (King's
Parade), Waffle (Petty Cury) or Kenya (St Andrews St)?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Alex Selby

Jan 5, 2011, 9:44:54 PM1/5/11
rosen...@cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:

> Very. It was there in the 1960s, along with the Eros (just one in petty
> Cury in those days) and the Gardenia in the Greek Cypriot establishments.
> Then there was another Eros in St Johns St and Panos in Hills Road. The
> Eraina came later after the original Eros closed.

Didn't Gardenia coming into existence in the late 1980s?
The analogous place before that was Oasis on Green Street.

rosen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Jan 6, 2011, 3:44:05 AM1/6/11
In article <ig3ab1$afq$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
alex....@REMOVE.pobox.com (Alex Selby) wrote:

No. Gardenia was a proper restaurant run by Panos Antoniou which became a
takeaway. I think there was a gap between the two phases. The restaurant
in Green St was separate, as now.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry

Jan 6, 2011, 4:16:43 AM1/6/11
In message <ehk20-3312A5....@nnrp.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, at
00:07:46 on Thu, 6 Jan 2011, Espen Koht <eh...@cam.ac.uk> remarked:

>> The service can be very erratic, but the Eros, along with the
>> | Whim fills a basic need in Cambridge, stuffing starving students with
>> | rice, veg and chips every lunchtime and evening.
>
>A bit late to make this comment I admit, but isn't that what the College
>kitchens are for?

Indeed.

>Apart from 70s vinyl and faux panel-wood I always
>thought the Eraina was the best approximation a visitor could easily get
>to College dining (ignoring the illusion of choice you get at Eraina
>which can be explained away as a compression of time summarizing an
>entire year of college dining hall in a single menu).

The original upstairs Eros, surely, not Eraina.
--
Roland Perry

Patrick Gosling

Jan 6, 2011, 8:45:07 AM1/6/11

Alex Selby <alex....@REMOVE.pobox.com> wrote:
>Didn't Gardenia coming into existence in the late 1980s?
>The analogous place before that was Oasis on Green Street.

The Oasis and Gardies definitely existed at the same time in the
mid 80's. I know, because my room's window was situated a foot from
the confluence of their extractor fan outlets ...

"chilli sauce?"

-patrick.

Sarah Cooper

Jan 6, 2011, 11:26:00 AM1/6/11
In article <gNOdnQjVPZpIHbjQ...@giganews.com>,
rosen...@cix.compulink.co.uk () wrote:

Gardenia still is a proper restaurant upstairs.

--
SCoop

Alex Selby

Jan 6, 2011, 11:32:58 AM1/6/11

Ah that makes sense. It's just the takeaway that opened in the second
half of the 1980s.

Alex Selby

Jan 6, 2011, 11:35:19 AM1/6/11

Indeed they did, but in the first year I came up (1985-6) Gardies
didn't exist as a takeaway. The overlap time must have been somewhere
around 1986-8.

> "chilli sauce?"
>
> -patrick.

rosen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Jan 6, 2011, 7:11:19 PM1/6/11
In article <memo.2011010...@a.cix.co.uk>, coope...@cix.co.uk
(Sarah Cooper) wrote:

> In article <gNOdnQjVPZpIHbjQ...@giganews.com>,
> rosen...@cix.compulink.co.uk () wrote:
>
> > In article <ig3ab1$afq$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> > alex....@REMOVE.pobox.com (Alex Selby) wrote:

The last statement there turns out to have been wrong.

> > > Didn't Gardenia coming into existence in the late 1980s?
> > > The analogous place before that was Oasis on Green Street.
> >
> > No. Gardenia was a proper restaurant run by Panos Antoniou which
> > became a takeaway. I think there was a gap between the two
> > phases. The restaurant in Green St was separate, as now.
> >

> Gardenia still is a proper restaurant upstairs.

It is now but there was quite a time when it was only a takeaway.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Gareth Marlow

Jan 7, 2011, 4:57:13 AM1/7/11
In article <BId*yh...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,

...and all the way through my student years up to at least 1994. Trinity
Hall ents post-bop 2am burger was always at Oasis for some reason. Also,
Oasis was always called "Omar's" - I never knew why.

http://www.marlow.org.uk/pblog/ Gareth Marlow

jo...@leb.org.uk

May 3, 2019, 10:31:40 AM5/3/19
On Wednesday, January 5, 2011 at 8:55:49 AM UTC, ZULU wrote:
> <rosenstiel> wrote in message
> > In article
> > <8d43cb76-a893-4b8e...@z9g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>,
>
> I haven't seen the Whim mentioned...
> Egg, beans and chips.
> Three and ninepence!
>
> --
> zulu

Shepherd's pie four and threepence. Between the Whim and the Civic you could eat well and cheaply in the Sixties in Cambridge.

Paul

May 3, 2019, 10:35:41 AM5/3/19
I apologise for resurrecting an old thread, I just happened to see it
and wanted to add my memory for anybody searching in years to come.

I'll go back to sleep now.

PB

---

walde...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2020, 4:21:36 PM8/3/20
If I remember rightly absolutely everything at the Corner House came with rice, peas, and chips!

Richard Torrens (News)

Aug 6, 2020, 2:28:47 PM8/6/20
In article <0107cb98-5b19-42e9...@googlegroups.com>,
<walde...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I remember rightly absolutely everything at the Corner House came
> with rice, peas, and chips!

Their Special Chickem Livers certainly did!

Richard Torrens. News email address is valid - for a limited time only.
You must use the full News+...@Torrens.org as in the From address.
http://www.Torrens.org for genealogy, natural history, wild food, walks, cats
and more!

The Natural Philosopher

Aug 7, 2020, 3:10:00 AM8/7/20
On 06/08/2020 17:30, Richard Torrens (News) wrote:
> In article <0107cb98-5b19-42e9...@googlegroups.com>,
> <walde...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If I remember rightly absolutely everything at the Corner House came
>> with rice, peas, and chips!
>
> Their Special Chickem Livers certainly did!

And the moussakas, for sure. Yesterdays roast lamb and potatoes dressed
as a pie..

--
“Ideas are inherently conservative. They yield not to the attack of
other ideas but to the massive onslaught of circumstance"

- John K Galbraith