Building inspector needs sacking

The Natural Philosopher

Jan 18, 2024, 6:51:32 AMJan 18
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1856879/darwin-green-cambridge-houses-demolished

You would have thought they would have spotted cheap crappy foundations
a bit earlier

Josef Stalin

Theo

Jan 18, 2024, 7:10:36 AMJan 18
The Natural Philosopher <t...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1856879/darwin-green-cambridge-houses-demolished
>
> You would have thought they would have spotted cheap crappy foundations
> a bit earlier

Privatisation innit:

<quote>
A council spokesperson said: “However, 3C Building Control [the council’s
shared building control service] was not the appointed building control
provider for this scheme as the contractor has appointed a private company.
3C Building Control, as the enforcing body, will however be working with the
local community and site developer to ensure works are compliant.”
</quote>
https://www.cambridgeindependent.co.uk/news/developer-to-demolish-36-new-homes-at-darwin-green-developme-9316199/

Private inspector was apparently NHBC who allegedly didn't inspect:
https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news/barratt-forced-to-knock-down-36-homes-due-to-faulty-foundations

You know, the people who offer a 10 year warranty that your new-build is up
to scratch.

You couldn't make it up, as the saying goes.

Theo

The Natural Philosopher

Jan 18, 2024, 7:17:02 AMJan 18
Except patently he did.

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
...than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman

Tim Ward

Jan 18, 2024, 8:01:16 AMJan 18
> https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1856879/darwin-green-cambridge-houses-demolished
>
> You would have thought they would have spotted cheap crappy foundations
> a bit earlier

Once Upon A Time building inspectors came from the council and had no
motivation other than to ensure that buildings were build properly.

These days with privatisation a builder can hire any inspector they
like, and the inspector's motivation is to get paid by the builder.

I've known people deliberately pay more to buy the council's service
because they genuinely want to know whether or not they've built
something safe, and they don't trust a privatised service to tell them that.

--
Tim Ward - 07801 703 600
www.brettward.co.uk

Roland Perry

Jan 18, 2024, 12:44:25 PMJan 18
In message <Nkc*nv...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, at 12:10:31 on Thu,
18 Jan 2024, Theo <theom...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> remarked:
Not quite. They offer a compensation scheme should the defects be
detected and proven within 10yrs.

Claim after 10yrs and one day, and you are SOL.

The only people I know who successfully claimed on this needed
significant professional advice and the claim took about 5yrs to
process.

--
Roland Perry