Cambridge COVID booster

Fred

Dec 15, 2021, 7:08:03 AM12/15/21
Been checking for three weeks now to book a booster in Cambridge but
closest is always Newmarket 10 miles away, or much further afield
(Bedford, Milton Keynes, Stevenage, Luton and Hitchin have all been
offered).

What is the trick for a Cambridge resident get vaccinated locally i.e.
one within cycling distance other than keep trying?

Tim Ward

Dec 15, 2021, 7:31:10 AM12/15/21
See the other threads. At the indoor bowls place yesterday I would have
had to wait in a super-spreader jam-packed indoor queue (they refused to
let me wait outside and call me when it was my turn). Others have said
it's no better at the Grafton, which was the only other Cambridge option.

So I have rebooked for Boots in Huntingdon in the middle of January, in
the hope that that will be safer, and will have to use the car.

--
Tim Ward - 07801 703 600
www.brettward.co.uk

Roland Perry

Dec 15, 2021, 7:40:52 AM12/15/21
In message <spclr1$1fv$1...@dont-email.me>, at 12:08:01 on Wed, 15 Dec
2021, Fred <Fr...@invalid.xyzpoiwer.com> remarked:
Presumably the Newmarket Racecourse? Many would consider that within
cycling distance [1hr 12 mins says Dr Google] - especially as it's
pretty flat; maybe stop half way for refreshments.

Further away, the Ely leisure centre has had sporadic walk-in clinics,
but that's a good half hour walk from the railway station.
--
Roland Perry

Tim Ward

Dec 15, 2021, 8:25:27 AM12/15/21
On 15/12/2021 12:31, Tim Ward wrote:

> So I have rebooked for Boots in Huntingdon in the middle of January, in
> the hope that that will be safer, and will have to use the car.

Just been told that that's pretty awful too. :-(

Tim Ward

Dec 15, 2021, 8:27:03 AM12/15/21
On 15/12/2021 12:40, Roland Perry wrote:

> Presumably the Newmarket Racecourse? Many would consider that within
> cycling distance [1hr 12 mins says Dr Google] - especially as it's
> pretty flat; maybe stop half way for refreshments.

Cambridge to Newmarket does seem to be uphill (that's what it feels
like, I haven't checked the map) ... only very slightly, but
sufficiently so that, with the right wind conditions, I hardly had to
pedal last time I came back the other way.

Peter Maydell

Dec 15, 2021, 9:15:37 AM12/15/21
In article <spcn6c$9u6$1...@dont-email.me>, Tim Ward <t...@brettward.co.uk> wrote:
>See the other threads. At the indoor bowls place yesterday I would have
>had to wait in a super-spreader jam-packed indoor queue (they refused to
>let me wait outside and call me when it was my turn). Others have said
>it's no better at the Grafton, which was the only other Cambridge option.

This probably depends on various things like when your appointment
is and whether the site is also allowing walkins (and of course on
how much queueing you're willing to tolerate). I got my booster
at the Grafton on Monday -- arrived ~0820 for an 0830 slot, reached
front of queue by 0840, jabbed by 0850 and then left 0905 after the
mandatory 15 minute observation period. But then I had selected
the earliest available time slot in the hope the queue would
not have built up too far, and they were permitting walkins
only for 1st and 2nd jabs (which had a priority queue) with
boosters strictly appointment-only.

(Interestingly they said their bottleneck was not the jabbing
itself but the "admin" step of pulling your record up on an
ipad and confirming your details.)

-- PMM

Tim Ward

Dec 15, 2021, 10:18:38 AM12/15/21
On 15/12/2021 14:15, Peter Maydell wrote:

> This probably depends on various things like when your appointment
> is and whether the site is also allowing walkins (and of course on
> how much queueing you're willing to tolerate).
I was willing to tolerate waiting all afternoon so long as I could do so
somewhere safe (eg outdoors). It was crammed together inches from other
people in a super-spreader queue that I wasn't prepared to tolerate for
*any* length of time.

The Natural Philosopher

Dec 15, 2021, 12:49:56 PM12/15/21
On 15/12/2021 12:08, Fred wrote:
> Been checking for three weeks now to book a booster in Cambridge but
> closest is always Newmarket 10 miles away, or much further afield
Ypu are lucky. I couldn't get one in Newmarket. But 10 miles ain't much
of a ride.

> (Bedford, Milton Keynes, Stevenage, Luton and Hitchin have all been
> offered).
>
> What is the trick for a Cambridge resident get vaccinated locally i.e.
> one within cycling distance other than keep trying?

Cycle further?

The whole booster program is pretty shambolic. Maybe your GP can help

The Natural Philosopher

Dec 15, 2021, 12:55:26 PM12/15/21
> On 15/12/2021 12:08, Fred wrote:
>> Been checking for three weeks now to book a booster in Cambridge but
>> closest is always Newmarket 10 miles away, or much further afield
> Ypu are lucky. I couldn't get one in Newmarket. But 10 miles ain't much
> of a ride.
>
>> (Bedford, Milton Keynes, Stevenage, Luton and Hitchin have all been
>> offered).
>>
>> What is the trick for a Cambridge resident get vaccinated locally i.e.
>> one within cycling distance other than keep trying?
>
> Cycle further?
>
> The whole booster program is pretty shambolic. Maybe your GP can help

Other option is spend £50 on taxis. Or ask a friend with car nicely

twenty-first century’s developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen

Rupert Moss-Eccardt

Dec 16, 2021, 8:50:31 AM12/16/21
Can I suggest Downham Market Town Hall?
It isn't too bad a walk/cycle from the railway station, albeit up hill
and the station itself is quite nice.

Tim Ward

Dec 16, 2021, 9:15:56 AM12/16/21
On 16/12/2021 13:50, Rupert Moss-Eccardt wrote:

> Can I suggest Downham Market Town Hall?
> It isn't too bad a walk/cycle from the railway station, albeit up hill
> and the station itself is quite nice.

You're joking, of course. The whole point of getting a booster is to
*reduce* one's risks from covid. Mixing with almost-certainly-infected
people in stations and trains is not really in keeping with this objective.

Alan Jones

Dec 16, 2021, 10:45:58 AM12/16/21
On 16/12/2021 14:15, Tim Ward wrote:
> On 16/12/2021 13:50, Rupert Moss-Eccardt wrote:
>>
>> Can I suggest Downham Market Town Hall?
>> It isn't too bad a walk/cycle from the railway station, albeit up hill
>> and the station itself is quite nice.
>
> You're joking, of course. The whole point of getting a booster is to
> *reduce* one's risks from covid. Mixing with almost-certainly-infected
> people in stations and trains is not really in keeping with this objective.

It is possible that delaying the booster for many weeks, by which time
the virus may have become more extensive; or not having the booster at
all; may not be the optimal behaviour for most.

I realise that what you are reasonably hoping for is a nearby, safe,
swift way to get a booster, but sadly, those constraints may not be
simultaneously satisfiable at this time.

The risks of delaying the booster for weeks is weighed against the risk
of contracting covid from nearby asymptomatic people in the queue.
Perhaps everyone going for a vaccination should be advised to have a LFT
that morning. Not only would it give a little extra protection to the
queue and the vaccinators, but might help to protect the boostee, as we
don't recommend the vaccines on top of a current covid infection.

I support your implicit feeling that something should be done about the
conditions in the vaccination centres that are falling short. A vaccine
centre inspector to spread best practice? But that might also spread
something else (:-).

Good Luck.

Tim Ward

Dec 16, 2021, 11:54:33 AM12/16/21
On 16/12/2021 15:45, Alan Jones wrote:

> The risks of delaying the booster for weeks is weighed against the risk
> of contracting covid from nearby asymptomatic people in the queue.

Exactly so.

If we assume that people who know they have covid don't deliberately go
out and infect other people, we observe that most people who die of
covid must have caught it from asymptomatic people, and asymptomatic
infected people are allowed untested into vaccination centres.

Further, there are something of the order of one infected person per 50
people in Cambridge. So, something in the order of one infected person
in the queue. So standing in that queue pretty well guarantees exposure.

On the other hand, staying at home I haven't been near as many as fifty
people in a year. (OK so I used to go out for bike rides, but I've
stopped doing that now.)

So if the booster puts my protection up from 44% to only 75%, or from
10% to only 75%, depending on which numbers you believe, and at the
point of exposure in the queue my protection is only the starting point
of 44% or 10%, it is clearly much much safer to stay at home.

tony sayer

Dec 16, 2021, 12:06:19 PM12/16/21
In article <b2d8fc87-49cb-8dda...@exospan.com>, Alan
Jones <ajn...@exospan.com> scribeth thus
Friend of mine was to go to Huntingdon next week but was sent i
suppose an "upgrade" to the Deakin centre at Addenbrookes, a lot
nearer!...

--
Tony Sayer

Mark Carroll

Dec 16, 2021, 12:30:08 PM12/16/21
On 16 Dec 2021, Tim Ward wrote:
(snip)
> Further, there are something of the order of one infected person per 50
> people in Cambridge. So, something in the order of one infected person
> in the queue. So standing in that queue pretty well guarantees exposure.
(snip)

To get the useful benefit of a booster, I wonder how viable or safe
it might be to up your masking game for queueing for it, e.g.,
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57636360 seemed encouraging.
Though, omicron also sounds rather contagious.

-- Mark

Tim Ward

Dec 16, 2021, 1:33:05 PM12/16/21
And today I get a text from my GP inviting me to make an appointment at
a GPs' surgery where I know from experience that the arrangements are as
good as they could get.

The Natural Philosopher

Dec 16, 2021, 2:26:29 PM12/16/21
Go fer it Tim.

I was offered such and wish I had taken it.

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.

Ken

Dec 17, 2021, 7:31:19 AM12/17/21
On Thu, 16 Dec 2021 17:04:50 +0000, tony sayer <to...@bancom.co.uk>
wrote:
Daughter who lives in Grantchester had booked a booster at Chesterton
for 23rd but received a text yesterday (from her GP) inviting her to
Papworth Hospital today, so that may be an avenue to explore somehow.

Fevric J. Glandules

Dec 17, 2021, 2:41:09 PM12/17/21
Peter Maydell wrote:

> This probably depends on various things like when your appointment
> is and whether the site is also allowing walkins (and of course on
> how much queueing you're willing to tolerate). I got my booster
> at the Grafton on Monday -- arrived ~0820 for an 0830 slot, reached
> front of queue by 0840, jabbed by 0850 and then left 0905 after the
> mandatory 15 minute observation period. But then I had selected

Mandatory? Earlier this year they made it clear that it was
optional.

> the earliest available time slot in the hope the queue would
> not have built up too far, and they were permitting walkins
> only for 1st and 2nd jabs (which had a priority queue) with
> boosters strictly appointment-only.

So there's two queues?

tony sayer

Dec 17, 2021, 5:47:28 PM12/17/21
In article <5l0prgl627t633je4...@4ax.com>, Ken
<k...@birchanger.com> scribeth thus
Took friend to the Deakin centre the queue stretched over the hills and
far away!, was there around 2 hours odd!...

Vir Campestris

Dec 19, 2021, 4:13:12 PM12/19/21
On 17/12/2021 12:31, Ken wrote:
> Daughter who lives in Grantchester had booked a booster at Chesterton
> for 23rd but received a text yesterday (from her GP) inviting her to
> Papworth Hospital today, so that may be an avenue to explore somehow.

Not just Cambridge.

One of my sons lives in Norwich, and doesn't drive. He hasn't yet found
anywhere he can get the 3rd jab in range.

They've shut all their walk-in centres.

We've decided the best thing to do is to drive over and get him for
Christmas, then look for a centre somewhere near here.

Andy

Peter Maydell

Dec 21, 2021, 8:27:46 AM12/21/21
In article <spip4j$f1p$1...@dont-email.me>,
Fevric J. Glandules <f...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>Peter Maydell wrote:
>
>> This probably depends on various things like when your appointment
>> is and whether the site is also allowing walkins (and of course on
>> how much queueing you're willing to tolerate). I got my booster
>> at the Grafton on Monday -- arrived ~0820 for an 0830 slot, reached
>> front of queue by 0840, jabbed by 0850 and then left 0905 after the
>> mandatory 15 minute observation period. But then I had selected
>
>Mandatory? Earlier this year they made it clear that it was
>optional.

It was mandatory in the sense that (unlike my AZ #1) they
didn't suggest you could leave early. Obviously they weren't
about to restrain anybody who did just walk out. AIUI the
guidance has changed since I had my booster.

>> the earliest available time slot in the hope the queue would
>> not have built up too far, and they were permitting walkins
>> only for 1st and 2nd jabs (which had a priority queue) with
>> boosters strictly appointment-only.
>
>So there's two queues?

There were, yes. Since the 1/2nd jab queue was prioritized
it didn't often have more than 1 person in it at most. One
of the volunteers would periodically walk down the booster
queue calling for people who were priority elegible.

FWIW, second hand queue report from the Papworth booster
centre at 0750 this morning -- no queue (no walkins),
no post-jab observation period, in and out in 5 minutes.

-- PMM

Fevric J. Glandules

Dec 22, 2021, 4:34:57 PM12/22/21
Peter Maydell wrote:

> There were, yes. Since the 1/2nd jab queue was prioritized
> it didn't often have more than 1 person in it at most. One
> of the volunteers would periodically walk down the booster
> queue calling for people who were priority elegible.

So people *with* an appointment had to wait an hour...

I suppose it makes sense to prioritise the other lot
and not have *them* hanging around for an hour in a
corridor.

But still, compared to earlier this year, a bit of a shambles.

Peter Maydell

Dec 23, 2021, 4:50:57 AM12/23/21
In article <sq05lv$ecg$1...@dont-email.me>,
Fevric J. Glandules <f...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>Peter Maydell wrote:
>
>> There were, yes. Since the 1/2nd jab queue was prioritized
>> it didn't often have more than 1 person in it at most. One
>> of the volunteers would periodically walk down the booster
>> queue calling for people who were priority elegible.
>
>So people *with* an appointment had to wait an hour...

Er, as per my post, I waited 20 minutes. This was
pretty much entirely due to all the other people
with appointments for boosters -- there were a lot of
them and a bare trickle of priority people.

>But still, compared to earlier this year, a bit of a shambles.

I get the impression it's improved a bit, especially
with the Papworth centre opening. I also had very good
queue-free experiences for my 1st and 2nd jabs --
perhaps that was because (as a mid-40s person) by
the time they got to my group the systems had been
running for some months to have the kinks worked out,
and also they were still allowing new groups to book
at a graduated rate. For the boosters they'd effectively
ramped down the system and now have had to ramp it up
again, and they're also trying to get pretty much the
whole under-50 population through at once.

I suspect the best fix for the queues would have been
if they'd had more of a sense of urgency about the
boosters and done more of them earlier in the year
than they did...

-- PMM

Roland Perry

Dec 23, 2021, 5:09:58 AM12/23/21
In message <v7j*Fg...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, at 09:50:53 on Thu,
23 Dec 2021, Peter Maydell <pmay...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> remarked:
The reason for the slow-start of boosters was the initial insistence
that people wait an absolute minimum of six months from their second
jab. Despite being in one of the earlier original cohorts, and having
jabs one and two at the earliest opportunities, this still meant me
waiting about a month later than I would have liked, given the rate of
the third wave.
--
Roland Perry

Tim Ward

Dec 23, 2021, 5:22:50 AM12/23/21
On 23/12/2021 10:04, Roland Perry wrote:

> The reason for the slow-start of boosters was the initial insistence
> that people wait an absolute minimum of six months from their second
> jab. Despite being in one of the earlier original cohorts, and having
> jabs one and two at the earliest opportunities, this still meant me
> waiting about a month later than I would have liked, given the rate of
> the third wave.

Still waiting for my booster ...

Roland Perry

Dec 23, 2021, 6:29:59 AM12/23/21
In message <sq1ilo$9ek$1...@dont-email.me>, at 10:22:49 on Thu, 23 Dec
2021, Tim Ward <t...@brettward.co.uk> remarked:
Isn't that "not yet invited to somewhere you are prepared to attend",
though?
--
Roland Perry

Tim Ward

Dec 23, 2021, 7:49:41 AM12/23/21
No. I was finally invited to a known safer venue, so what I'm waiting
for is the 2 January appointment.

Alan

Dec 23, 2021, 8:28:00 AM12/23/21
On Thu, 23 Dec 2021 10:04:57 -0000, Roland Perry <rol...@perry.co.uk>
wrote:
I was lucky and managed to book and get my Booster six days after the six
months were up. But that did mean driving from Ely to Chesterton for it.

--
Alan

Alan

Dec 23, 2021, 8:30:40 AM12/23/21
That's through your choice though isn't it. You were unhappy about some
of the offered venues?

Roland Perry

Dec 23, 2021, 9:08:16 AM12/23/21
In message <op.1euvoxi4l776by@alansdell>, at 13:27:59 on Thu, 23 Dec
2021, Alan <eternal....@ourmailbox.org.uk> remarked:

>> The reason for the slow-start of boosters was the initial insistence
>>that people wait an absolute minimum of six months from their second
>>jab. Despite being in one of the earlier original cohorts, and having
>>jabs one and two at the earliest opportunities, this still meant me
>>waiting about a month later than I would have liked, given the rate of
>>the third wave.
>
>I was lucky and managed to book and get my Booster six days after the
>six months were up. But that did mean driving from Ely to Chesterton
>for it.

I had to drive to Soham, which like Newmarket Racecourse is the place
most often offered. Despite Cathedral Medical Centre at the Ely hospital
being rumoured to do jabs as well.

The racecourse venue is large and airy, and far better social distanced
than Soham. Whether it's within cycling distance from Cambridge is still
an (earlier) open question.

In other news, St Mary's in Ely is now closed for a year while they
redevelop the site. They've moved their dispensing activities across the
road, and everything else to Portacabins in the hospital forecourt.
--
Roland Perry

Tim Ward

Dec 23, 2021, 9:53:17 AM12/23/21
On 23/12/2021 14:04, Roland Perry wrote:

> The racecourse venue is large and airy, and far better social distanced
> than Soham. Whether it's within cycling distance from Cambridge is still
> an (earlier) open question.

Would be for some people, not for others. On the margin for me in my
current state of fitness, but I'd quite likely cycle unless there was a
westerly wind forecast.

Alan

Dec 23, 2021, 10:51:33 AM12/23/21
On Thu, 23 Dec 2021 14:04:37 -0000, Roland Perry <rol...@perry.co.uk>
wrote:

> In message <op.1euvoxi4l776by@alansdell>, at 13:27:59 on Thu, 23 Dec
> 2021, Alan <eternal....@ourmailbox.org.uk> remarked:
>
>>> The reason for the slow-start of boosters was the initial insistence
>>> that people wait an absolute minimum of six months from their second
>>> jab. Despite being in one of the earlier original cohorts, and having
>>> jabs one and two at the earliest opportunities, this still meant me
>>> waiting about a month later than I would have liked, given the rate of
>>> the third wave.
>>
>> I was lucky and managed to book and get my Booster six days after the
>> six months were up. But that did mean driving from Ely to Chesterton
>> for it.
>
> I had to drive to Soham, which like Newmarket Racecourse is the place
> most often offered. Despite Cathedral Medical Centre at the Ely hospital
> being rumoured to do jabs as well.

Cathedral were doing them, but I was able to book a quicker one through
the NHS site at Chesterton.

My wife got the NHS notification, but that would only be through the
remotes centres. She rang the Cathedral, and they said that they could do
it, and the flu at the same time, whereas the remote sites were doing flu
of course,

I went on the NHS site when they allowed booking for future dates, but
after your six months. All worked well (I used the pharmacy for the flu
jab)

> The racecourse venue is large and airy, and far better social distanced
> than Soham. Whether it's within cycling distance from Cambridge is still
> an (earlier) open question.
>
> In other news, St Mary's in Ely is now closed for a year while they
> redevelop the site. They've moved their dispensing activities across the
> road, and everything else to Portacabins in the hospital forecourt.

Yes, they've been building the temporary St Marys for a while now. Bit of
a hike for those not used to it...

Stewart Brodie

Jan 3, 2022, 3:38:54 PM1/3/22
After trying for several days, I managed to get an appointment at the
Grafton Centre for 4th January, which I could get to.

Then on 20th December, just past 180 days since my 2nd vaccination, I had a
phonecall rom my local NHS surgery asking if I wanted a booster the next
day! So I accepted, walked down there and got boosted, and cancelled the
4th January appointment.

I was pleased with the arrangements at the Arbury Road surgery: distanced
queueing outside (the weather was OK) and each person temperature tested
before being allowed into the building one at a time to form a queue of one
indoors before being called into one of the vaccination rooms.

So in the end, I'm happy ... but could have done without the wasted hours of
mucking about trying to get appointments myself.

--
Stewart Brodie

Tim Ward

Jan 3, 2022, 4:00:07 PM1/3/22
On 03/01/2022 20:38, Stewart Brodie wrote:

> Then on 20th December, just past 180 days since my 2nd vaccination, I had a
> phonecall rom my local NHS surgery asking if I wanted a booster the next
> day!
Similar here. The appointment offered by the GP - eventually! - was at
another surgery, zero queue, any queuing would have been outdoors, two
minutes spent inside the building, much better than my failed attempt at
the super-spreader Chesterton bowls club.

Alan

Jan 3, 2022, 4:42:49 PM1/3/22
Guess I was lucky and didn't catch anything at the bowls club if it was a
super spreader....

Tim Ward

Jan 3, 2022, 5:00:53 PM1/3/22
On 03/01/2022 21:42, Alan wrote:

> Guess I was lucky and didn't catch anything at the bowls club if it was
> a super spreader....

I have heard that there were very different regimes there at different
times.

Fevric J. Glandules

Jan 3, 2022, 6:38:27 PM1/3/22
So - do I wait for the GP offer or chance it again at the Grafton?

Spent the first two weeks of Christmas holidays with first one child
then the other isolating in-house after positive LFD and PCR tests.

No particular precautions in place - a considered decision.

Came out the other side without any positive LFTs or symptoms.

Could it possibly be that the initial vaccines actually worked?

Keith Willshaw

Jan 4, 2022, 4:08:54 PM1/4/22
On 04/01/2022 17:46, Brian Morrison wrote:

> Do you not trust your immune system?

Didnt help people much 100 years ago with Spanish Flu, in fact it was a
runaway immune reaponse which killed most of the dead. See Cytokine Storm.

As it happens the same issue kills a lot of people with covid-19

Fevric J. Glandules

Jan 9, 2022, 6:23:14 PM1/9/22
Brian Morrison wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jan 2022 23:38:26 -0000 (UTC)
> "Fevric J. Glandules" <f...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Could it possibly be that the initial vaccines actually worked?
>
> Do you not trust your immune system?

Sorry, I don't really understand the question.

Given that I was living in close proximity to one and then
another infected person, I thought it extremely likely that
I would contract the disease myself. I didn't.

My guess is that my immune system nailed it before it could
develop - probably because it had been primed by the A-Z
vaccinations I had back in April / May.