Pub closures

Longshanks

Jun 16, 2008, 6:21:59 AM6/16/08
The Geldart, Duke of Argyll, Earl of Beaconsfield, Royal Standard, Fleur
de Lys — all no more. Zebra and Rosie up for sale. Have I missed any?

Robert Campbell

Jun 16, 2008, 6:43:56 AM6/16/08
Longshanks" <longs...@no-where123.co.uk> wrote in message

> The Geldart, Duke of Argyll, Earl of Beaconsfield, Royal Standard, Fleur
> de Lys - all no more. Zebra and Rosie up for sale. Have I missed any?

Good to see all the non-smokers flocking to pubs they wouldn't previously go
into. The smoking ban has made a world of difference to the pub industry.

Brian Morrison

Jun 16, 2008, 7:02:32 AM6/16/08

Yes, it's not all perfect though.

In some pubs (and I'm not speaking for the ones mentioned) the smokers
tend to congregate outside the door and hence you get to walk through a
cloud of smoke to get in and out.

Not a complaint, merely an observation.

--

Brian

Anthony Deane

Jun 16, 2008, 7:20:57 AM6/16/08

"Longshanks" <longs...@no-where123.co.uk> wrote in message
> The Geldart, Duke of Argyll, Earl of Beaconsfield, Royal Standard, Fleur
> de Lys - all no more. Zebra and Rosie up for sale. Have I missed any?

When did the Fleur de Lys close? I was in there two weeks ago.

The Grapes is up for sale (technically rent). Niche (a bar) is up for lease
(£89500 a year).

In the sticks, The Barlow Mow (Histon), Old Crown (Girton) and the Pemberton
Arms (Harston), are up for rent as well.

Anthony

Paul Treadaway

Jun 16, 2008, 7:29:30 AM6/16/08
Longshanks <longs...@no-where123.co.uk> wrote in news:g35esv$2ouq$1
@custnews.inweb.co.uk:

> The Geldart, Duke of Argyll, Earl of Beaconsfield, Royal Standard, Fleur
> de Lys ??” all no more. Zebra and Rosie up for sale.

The Geldart is being refurbished, but as I understand it the lease has been
taken by the bar manager of a well known real ale pub, so it should reopen.

The Duke of Argyle lease has been available for a long time, and it's now
boarded up, so presumably no interest and may close permanently (though
there are Cambs breweries that have been looking to open pubs in the city,
so it will be interesting to see if someone makes an offer for the freehold).
Anyway, it has never had real ale in my time, although two handpumps
were put in at Christmas, never used, and the landlord who was there at the
time left after just a few weeks. With a serious effort it could be viable.

The Earl of Beaconsfield, the rumour is the landlord had financial problems
and had to cease trading, but presumably when it's all sorted out the lease
will be on the market again, and given its location someone will probably take
it on.

The Royal Standard is being converted into an Indian/Thai restaurant, though
it seems to be taking a while, but yes it is ceasing to be a pub.

I hadn't heard about the Fleur de Lys - it had new people in not long ago, so I
guess it didn't work out for them? There isn't a lot of competition in the de
Freville, just the Old Spring at the opposite end, so it should still be viable.

With the Zebra, I understand the landlord is moving to Norwich, though according
to the Greene King website, "The current food offer of Polish / English fusion
should be re-thought", so perhaps that was a gamble that didn't pay off.

I'm not sure which pub you mean by 'Rosie'.

Yes, it's very difficult times for the trade, and the smoking ban plus duty
starting to creep up again have been last straws for some people. But
some of what we're seeing this summer is churn rather than permanent
closures, so it probably looks a lot worse than it is.

> Have I missed any?

These are the Punch pubs being advertised:
http://punchpubs.punchpubs.co.uk/dispCounty.asp?Mode=1&C_ID=34&C_NAME=Cambridgeshire

And these are the GK ones:
http://www.greenekingpubs.co.uk/search_pubs_to_let_results.php?county1=Cambridgeshire

Paul Treadaway

Jun 16, 2008, 7:40:06 AM6/16/08
"Anthony Deane" <ajd66[removethisbit]@cam.ac.uk> wrote in

And many more.

Longshanks

Jun 16, 2008, 7:52:37 AM6/16/08
* Paul Treadaway wrote:
> I hadn't heard about the Fleur de Lys - it had new people in not long ago, so I
> guess it didn't work out for them? There isn't a lot of competition in the de
> Freville, just the Old Spring at the opposite end, so it should still be viable.

A friend of mine told me last night about the Fleur but I don't think
I've ever been in there. They did re-open as some kind of Bistro pub,
perhaps it didn't take off?

> I'm not sure which pub you mean by 'Rosie'.

Sorry. The Rosemary Branch on Coldhams Lane.

> Yes, it's very difficult times for the trade, and the smoking ban plus duty
> starting to creep up again have been last straws for some people. But
> some of what we're seeing this summer is churn rather than permanent
> closures, so it probably looks a lot worse than it is.

Well I hope so. I really liked the Geldart and Earl of Beaconsfield (and
only ever managed to win their quiz in there once, so was hoping for
some future sparring!). Never went in the Argyle.

Thanks for the links

Patrick Byrne

Jun 16, 2008, 7:59:25 AM6/16/08
> Good to see all the non-smokers flocking to pubs they wouldn't previously go
> into. The smoking ban has made a world of difference to the pub industry.

The Duke of Argyll seems to have been killed by gentrification.
Perhaps if it had turned into a yucky bar-pub like the Alexandra Arms
( 'The Alex' - bleagh ) it would have survived - after a fashion.

> Yes, it's not all perfect though.

<zzzzzip!> did something fly past the ear there? at high speed?

Paul Treadaway

Jun 16, 2008, 8:07:08 AM6/16/08
> * Paul Treadaway wrote:
>> I hadn't heard about the Fleur de Lys - it had new people in not
>> long ago, so I guess it didn't work out for them? There isn't a lot
>> of competition in the de Freville, just the Old Spring at the
>> opposite end, so it should still be viable.
>
> A friend of mine told me last night about the Fleur but I don't think
> I've ever been in there. They did re-open as some kind of Bistro pub,
> perhaps it didn't take off?

I guess I'll have to check it out next time I'm at that end of town.

>> I'm not sure which pub you mean by 'Rosie'.
> Sorry. The Rosemary Branch on Coldhams Lane.

Oh right, yes, I had heard that was being sold (i.e. freehold is for
sale I think).

>> Yes, it's very difficult times for the trade, and the smoking ban
>> plus duty starting to creep up again have been last straws for some
>> people. But some of what we're seeing this summer is churn rather
>> than permanent closures, so it probably looks a lot worse than it is.
> Well I hope so. I really liked the Geldart and Earl of Beaconsfield
> (and only ever managed to win their quiz in there once, so was hoping
> for some future sparring!). Never went in the Argyle.

The Empress is still excellent (and has a quiz on Tuesdays) if you're
in Romsey, while Petersfield still has the Kingston, the Cambridge
Blue, the Live and Let Live, the Salisbury, the Six Bells etc.

Paul Treadaway

Jun 16, 2008, 8:15:12 AM6/16/08
Patrick Byrne <pjlb...@gmail.com> wrote in
> The Duke of Argyll seems to have been killed by gentrification.

Well, the long-standing landlord retired I think. Someone did take it on last
autumn, but didn't stay long.

> Perhaps if it had turned into a yucky bar-pub like the Alexandra Arms
> ( 'The Alex' - bleagh ) it would have survived - after a fashion.

It could just be reinvented as a real ale pub - plenty of people live nearby and
it's en route from the station for people using the foot/cycle bridge. It would
take a lot of commitment and hard work though - it's been keg only for a long
time.

charliejuggler

Jun 16, 2008, 8:19:08 AM6/16/08
Longshanks wrote:

> Well I hope so. I really liked the Geldart and Earl of Beaconsfield (and
> only ever managed to win their quiz in there once, so was hoping for
> some future sparring!). Never went in the Argyle.

You didn't miss much. I used to live opposite and it scared us so much
we went to the Emp instead...

magwitch

Jun 16, 2008, 8:37:00 AM6/16/08

I met a friend who's moved to Yorkshire (an ex-solicitor now a
brewer/pub landlord) and he says he's being driven out of what was a
successful business, by EU regulations... "the bottles must be
hand-blown by Aryan virgins and the spring water the from the pure
Alpine lakes of the Fatherland..." etc. ;-)

Longshanks

Jun 16, 2008, 8:53:29 AM6/16/08
* Paul Treadaway wrote:
> The Empress is still excellent (and has a quiz on Tuesdays) if you're

I've been there recently and it was very good. The pub across the road
from it did seem to be endangered or was just doing very badly for
business on the day I went in.

> in Romsey, while Petersfield still has the Kingston, the Cambridge
> Blue, the Live and Let Live, the Salisbury, the Six Bells etc.

Petersfield is an awesome ward to live in for real-ale pubs (Some with
cracking food). I live in Market which has its own fair share of top
notch pubs and is in easy walking distance of Petersfield.

Paul Treadaway

Jun 16, 2008, 8:53:41 AM6/16/08
magwitch <a@c.d> wrote in
> I met a friend who's moved to Yorkshire (an ex-solicitor now a
> brewer/pub landlord) and he says he's being driven out of what was a
> successful business, by EU regulations... "the bottles must be
> hand-blown by Aryan virgins and the spring water the from the pure
> Alpine lakes of the Fatherland..." etc. ;-)

I regularly speak to landlords around Cambridge, and none of them
mention any particular problem with EU regulations as such. The
fact that duty on beer is higher than most of Europe, (and has now
started to rise again), has been a bone of contention for years, but
is nothing to do with the EU (in fact the EU at one time proposed tax
harmonisation that would have helped with both that and the current
problems for the domestic haulage industry but that was rejected by
the UK Government). Obviously the smoking ban has hit the trade
massively, but again that came from Westminster. Which EU
regulations specifically is your friend talking about?

Longshanks

Jun 16, 2008, 8:55:02 AM6/16/08

I heard a similar account from a friend that lived almost next door to
it. He used to go in the Beaconsfield instead. It's probably the main
reason I never bothered sticking my head in the door whilst I had the
chance.

Paul Treadaway

Jun 16, 2008, 9:05:09 AM6/16/08
Longshanks <longs...@no-where123.co.uk> wrote in news:g35np5$4kj$1...@custnews.inweb.co.uk:

> * Paul Treadaway wrote:
>> The Empress is still excellent (and has a quiz on Tuesdays) if you're
> I've been there recently and it was very good. The pub across the road
> from it did seem to be endangered or was just doing very badly for
> business on the day I went in.

Yes, the Jubilee is another keg only pub. I've never seen more than half
a dozen customers in there, and I have no idea how it manages to stay
in business. I imagine when the landlord retires, it will be in a similar position
to the Duke of Argyle.

Roland Perry

Jun 16, 2008, 9:30:19 AM6/16/08
In message <Xns9ABF7F14C6FF3pa...@69.16.176.253>, at
11:29:30 on Mon, 16 Jun 2008, Paul Treadaway
<paul.tr...@dial.pipex.com> remarked:

>Yes, it's very difficult times for the trade, and the smoking ban plus duty
>starting to creep up again have been last straws for some people.

Where I live (NG suburbs) hardly a month goes by without a shop of some
sort being newly converted into a gastro-winebar, and being hugely
successful. Perhaps tastes are changing. Luckily, only one pub has
closed, to be replaced by an M&S Simply Food.
--
Roland Perry

Roland Perry

Jun 16, 2008, 9:26:19 AM6/16/08
In message <g35h88$lrp$1...@news.datemas.de>, at 12:02:32 on Mon, 16 Jun
2008, Brian Morrison <scra...@fenrir.org.uk> remarked:

>In some pubs (and I'm not speaking for the ones mentioned) the smokers
>tend to congregate outside the door and hence you get to walk through a
>cloud of smoke to get in and out.
>
>Not a complaint, merely an observation.

I'm happy to complain about things like that, not merely observe them.
--
Roland Perry

Brian Watson

Jun 16, 2008, 9:50:15 AM6/16/08

"Brian Morrison" <scra...@fenrir.org.uk> wrote in message

> In some pubs (and I'm not speaking for the ones mentioned) the smokers
> tend to congregate outside the door and hence you get to walk through a
> cloud of smoke to get in and out.

Apparently, those in Manchester who want to chat up members of the opposite
sex go to the smokers' area outside, regardless of whether or not they are
smokers.

--
Brian

Brian Morrison

Jun 16, 2008, 9:51:39 AM6/16/08
Brian Watson wrote:
> "Brian Morrison" <scra...@fenrir.org.uk> wrote in message
>
>> In some pubs (and I'm not speaking for the ones mentioned) the smokers
>> tend to congregate outside the door and hence you get to walk through a
>> cloud of smoke to get in and out.
>
> Apparently, those in Manchester who want to chat up members of the opposite
> sex go to the smokers' area outside, regardless of whether or not they are
> smokers.

There's no accounting for taste!

--

Brian

Paul Treadaway

Jun 16, 2008, 9:41:32 AM6/16/08
Roland Perry <rol...@perry.co.uk> wrote in

In the south east there was certainly a phase of pubs turning into wine
bars, and some changes of use (e.g. former banks being turned into
pubs), a few years ago, but I think that bubble burst some time ago.

Jon Green

Jun 16, 2008, 10:31:37 AM6/16/08

Quite! I like my haddock to taste of smoke, not my partner!

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! To reply in email, replace 'deadspam'
with 'green-lines'.

magwitch

Jun 16, 2008, 10:49:41 AM6/16/08

Once again Paul, you've chosen to ignore the fact that my friend (an
Cambridge pub landlord) also has traded for the last 15 years as a
micro-brewery. Despite winning several prizes for his beer, he's
considering giving up an being a solicitor again solely due to recent
CAP regulation changes.

Brian Watson

Jun 16, 2008, 10:55:37 AM6/16/08

"Jon Green" <jo...@deadspam.com> wrote in message

> Brian Morrison wrote:
>> Brian Watson wrote:
>>> "Brian Morrison" <scra...@fenrir.org.uk> wrote in message

>>> Apparently, those in Manchester who want to chat up members of the
>>> opposite sex go to the smokers' area outside, regardless of whether or
>>> not they are smokers.
>>
>> There's no accounting for taste!
>
> Quite! I like my haddock to taste of smoke, not my partner!

No, you miss the point.

Non-smokers of both/all sexes are going out there to meet each other.

As long as they stay upwind of the smokers (and the non-smokers do), it's
quite healthy.

:-)

The Luggage

Jun 16, 2008, 10:56:18 AM6/16/08
On 16 Jun, 15:31, Jon Green <jo...@deadspam.com> wrote:
> Brian Morrison wrote:
> > Brian Watson wrote:
> >> "Brian Morrison" <scraps...@fenrir.org.uk> wrote in message

> >> Apparently, those in Manchester who want to chat up members of the opposite
> >> sex go to the smokers' area outside, regardless of whether or not they are
> >> smokers.
>
> > There's no accounting for taste!
>
> Quite!  I like my haddock to taste of smoke, not my partner!

I know it's not Friday, but can I be first, please?
<cam.misc>
I also prefer my haddock not to taste like my partner!
</cam.misc>

Indecent replies will be junked unread!

TL

Brian Morrison

Jun 16, 2008, 10:59:52 AM6/16/08
Brian Watson wrote:

> As long as they stay upwind of the smokers (and the non-smokers do), it's
> quite healthy.

Outside my local at the weekend, their wasn't an upwind. It was calm and
a globular fug hung outside the entrance.

--

Brian

Paul Treadaway

Jun 16, 2008, 11:38:13 AM6/16/08
magwitch <a@c.d> wrote in news:121362778...@proxy00.news.clara.net:

Surely the problem with the CAP is that it hasn't changed much, rather
than that it has.

Colin Rosenstiel

Jun 16, 2008, 11:55:00 AM6/16/08
In article <Xns9ABF8575DC6F1pa...@69.16.176.253>,
paul.tr...@dial.pipex.com (Paul Treadaway) wrote:

> >> I'm not sure which pub you mean by 'Rosie'.
> > Sorry. The Rosemary Branch on Coldhams Lane.
>
> Oh right, yes, I had heard that was being sold (i.e. freehold is
> for sale I think).

According to a conversation earlier today with old friends who are
regulars at the Rosemary Branch (it's where my Union branch meets), the
pub is on the market but is open.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Jon Green

Jun 16, 2008, 12:07:42 PM6/16/08
The Luggage wrote:

> Indecent replies will be junked unread!

Now, _that's_ a neat trick!

Paul Treadaway

Jun 16, 2008, 12:17:06 PM6/16/08
rosen...@cix.co.uk (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote in

Enterprise Inns has a few other pubs available for lease (e.g. the Master
Mariner, the British Queen), and I think they are also open. Similarly, I
think Greene King tend to keep pubs open with temporary landlords
until they have a new tenant. It seems to be only Punch at the moment
that are happy to have pubs sitting closed for weeks or months.

magwitch

Jun 16, 2008, 12:32:49 PM6/16/08

Whatever.

Steve McIntyre

Jun 16, 2008, 1:51:07 PM6/16/08
In article <g35nru$4kj$2...@custnews.inweb.co.uk>,

When a group of us did the pub tour of Cambridge 2 years ago, we
unanimously agreed the Argyle was the worst in town. It won't be
missed.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK. st...@einval.com
"It's actually quite entertaining to watch ag129 prop his foot up on

Longshanks

Jun 17, 2008, 5:04:56 AM6/17/08
* Steve McIntyre wrote:
> When a group of us did the pub tour of Cambridge 2 years ago, we
> unanimously agreed the Argyle was the worst in town. It won't be
> missed.

Worse than the Grove or the Seven Stars?

--
FZS 600 (red 2001)

Tim Ward

Jun 18, 2008, 1:04:44 PM6/18/08
"Longshanks" <longs...@no-where123.co.uk> wrote in message
> The Geldart, Duke of Argyll, Earl of Beaconsfield, Royal Standard, Fleur
> de Lys - all no more. Zebra and Rosie up for sale. Have I missed any?

Several in Trumpington.

--
Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear
Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board - www.brettward.co.uk/canb

Paul Treadaway

Jun 18, 2008, 2:12:54 PM6/18/08
"Tim Ward" <t...@brettward.co.uk> wrote in
> "Longshanks" <longs...@no-where123.co.uk> wrote in message
>> The Geldart, Duke of Argyll, Earl of Beaconsfield, Royal Standard,
>> Fleur de Lys - all no more. Zebra and Rosie up for sale. Have I
>> missed any?
>
> Several in Trumpington.

One changed to a Chinese restaurant, but that was a fair while ago. The
Unicorn was still open last week. Have any closed recently?

Meanwhile the Zebra is open again (presumably a temporary landlord), but
I'm told the Greyhound on Coldham's Lane has closed.

Tim Ward

Jun 18, 2008, 3:00:27 PM6/18/08
"Paul Treadaway" <paul.tr...@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message

> "Tim Ward" <t...@brettward.co.uk> wrote in
>> "Longshanks" <longs...@no-where123.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> The Geldart, Duke of Argyll, Earl of Beaconsfield, Royal Standard,
>>> Fleur de Lys - all no more. Zebra and Rosie up for sale. Have I
>>> missed any?
>>
>> Several in Trumpington.
>
> One changed to a Chinese restaurant, but that was a fair while ago. The
> Unicorn was still open last week. Have any closed recently?

My attempts to wander around Trumpington to find a pint tend to be several
years apart. We found one that had changed to a Chinese and at least two
(within walking distance) that were closed. One or both of them might have
been closed for refurbishment and now open, but on that particular day it
wasn't easy to find a drink!

Paul Treadaway

Jun 18, 2008, 3:35:53 PM6/18/08
> "Paul Treadaway" <paul.tr...@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> "Tim Ward" <t...@brettward.co.uk> wrote in
>>> "Longshanks" <longs...@no-where123.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Several in Trumpington.
>>
>> One changed to a Chinese restaurant, but that was a fair while ago.
>> The Unicorn was still open last week. Have any closed recently?
>
> My attempts to wander around Trumpington to find a pint tend to be
> several years apart. We found one that had changed to a Chinese and at
> least two (within walking distance) that were closed. One or both of
> them might have been closed for refurbishment and now open, but on
> that particular day it wasn't easy to find a drink!

I think the Unicorn is also the best pub there, it's off the main road though
so you might have missed it.

Colin Rosenstiel

Jun 18, 2008, 5:23:00 PM6/18/08
In article <Xns9AC1C37F08229pa...@69.16.176.253>,
paul.tr...@dial.pipex.com (Paul Treadaway) wrote:

My daughter as a regular(-ish) of the Rose and Crown on Newmarket Road
was told today it is to be demolished for housing redevelopment.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Brian Watson

Jun 19, 2008, 3:20:02 AM6/19/08

"Colin Rosenstiel" <rosen...@cix.co.uk> wrote in message

> My daughter as a regular(-ish) of the Rose and Crown on Newmarket Road
> was told today it is to be demolished for housing redevelopment.

From Facebook: "THE ROSE AND CROWN WOULD LIKE TO ANNOUNCE ITS UPCOMING
CLOSURE.
THIS VENUE WILL BE CLOSED FROM 7th JULY 2008.

The building has been sold by the brewery to the property developers who
also brought most of the area surrounding the pub. The Rose & Crown is to be
bulldozed down within 3 months to make way for flats."

Andrew

Jun 19, 2008, 4:58:00 AM6/19/08
On 19 Jun, 08:20, "Brian Watson" <WACCI_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> From Facebook: "THE ROSE AND CROWN WOULD LIKE TO ANNOUNCE ITS UPCOMING
> CLOSURE.
> THIS VENUE WILL BE CLOSED FROM 7th JULY 2008.
>
> The building has been sold by the brewery to the property developers who
> also brought most of the area surrounding the pub. The Rose & Crown is to be
> bulldozed down within 3 months to make way for flats."

One wonders if now is the best time to be starting to build yet more
flats in Cambridge.

Fevric J Glandules

Jun 19, 2008, 5:49:33 AM6/19/08
On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 08:20:02 +0100, Brian Watson wrote:

> From Facebook: "THE ROSE AND CROWN WOULD LIKE TO ANNOUNCE ITS UPCOMING
> CLOSURE.
> THIS VENUE WILL BE CLOSED FROM 7th JULY 2008.

Did someone say the Fleur de Lys is shut too? Where's the pink
pound going these days?

--
One way ticket from Mornington Crescent to Tannhauser Gate please.

Stephen Borrill

Jun 19, 2008, 6:15:30 AM6/19/08
On Jun 18, 10:23 pm, rosenst...@cix.co.uk (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
> My daughter as a regular(-ish) of the Rose and Crown on Newmarket Road
> was told today it is to be demolished for housing redevelopment.

Heh, the 2 for 1 promotion that Esso are currently running has only
the Rose and Crown and Perfect Pizza as its participating outlets:

https://uk.esso2for1.com/listings,dining

We didn't fancy either.

--
Stephen

Sion Arrowsmith

Jun 19, 2008, 6:16:05 AM6/19/08
Fevric J Glandules <fev...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>Did someone say the Fleur de Lys is shut too? Where's the pink
>pound going these days?

The Fleur de Lys became The Fleur bar/bistro some time ago. (Almost
exactly a year, looking at their website.) It is most certainly not
shut, but it's not really a pub (of any stripe) any more.

--
\S -- si...@chiark.greenend.org.uk -- http://www.chaos.org.uk/~sion/
-- Arthur C. Clarke

Theo Markettos

Jun 19, 2008, 7:08:55 AM6/19/08
Tim Ward <t...@brettward.co.uk> wrote:
> My attempts to wander around Trumpington to find a pint tend to be several
> years apart. We found one that had changed to a Chinese and at least two
> (within walking distance) that were closed. One or both of them might have
> been closed for refurbishment and now open, but on that particular day it
> wasn't easy to find a drink!

The Coach & Horses is now the Wok and Grill (Chinese restuarant)
The Volunteer is now the Spice Merchants (Indian restuarant)
The Green Man is a still trying to be a gastropub, and had a refurbishment a
year or two ago
The Unicorn is still the Unicorn, and had a refurbishment last year
The Tally Ho is still the Tally Ho

Theo

Brian Watson

Jun 19, 2008, 7:56:42 AM6/19/08

"Andrew" <andrew...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

There's always a shortage of affordable accommodation in Cambridge, so ANY
time is a good time, I'd say.

Sarah Brown

Jun 19, 2008, 8:30:01 AM6/19/08
In article <NYp6k.12073$E41....@text.news.virginmedia.com>,

Fevric J Glandules <fev...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Did someone say the Fleur de Lys is shut too? Where's the pink
>pound going these days?

Via FCC, in my case.

Jules

Jun 19, 2008, 10:17:24 AM6/19/08
On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 12:56:42 +0100, Brian Watson wrote:
> There's always a shortage of affordable accommodation in Cambridge, so ANY
> time is a good time, I'd say.

For various definitions of 'affordable'...

Robert Campbell

Jun 19, 2008, 10:22:33 AM6/19/08
"Brian Watson" <WACC...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Affordable? More likely to be trendy overpriced boxes aimed at London
commuters.

Paul Treadaway

Jun 19, 2008, 2:08:42 PM6/19/08
Fevric J Glandules <fev...@invalid.invalid> wrote in news:NYp6k.12073$E41.10940
@text.news.virginmedia.com:

> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 08:20:02 +0100, Brian Watson wrote:
>> From Facebook: "THE ROSE AND CROWN WOULD LIKE TO ANNOUNCE ITS UPCOMING
>> CLOSURE.
>> THIS VENUE WILL BE CLOSED FROM 7th JULY 2008.
>
> Did someone say the Fleur de Lys is shut too? Where's the pink
> pound going these days?

Well the guys running the Fleur de Lys as a gay pub moved to the
Bird in Hand on Newmarket Road a year or two ago as I understand
it. The Fleur de Lys changed to being a gastropub under the new
management. I don't know if the Bird in Hand became a gay pub as
such, but it seems a likely possibility.

Fevric J Glandules

Jun 19, 2008, 4:14:27 PM6/19/08
On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 18:08:42 +0000, Paul Treadaway wrote:

> Well the guys running the Fleur de Lys as a gay pub moved to the
> Bird in Hand on Newmarket Road a year or two ago as I understand
> it. The Fleur de Lys changed to being a gastropub under the new
> management. I don't know if the Bird in Hand became a gay pub as
> such, but it seems a likely possibility.

The BiH already was, AFAIK.

Paul Treadaway

Jun 19, 2008, 5:19:25 PM6/19/08
Fevric J Glandules <fev...@invalid.invalid> wrote in news:D6z6k.12377$E41.10301
@text.news.virginmedia.com:

> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 18:08:42 +0000, Paul Treadaway wrote:
>> Well the guys running the Fleur de Lys as a gay pub moved to the
>> Bird in Hand on Newmarket Road a year or two ago as I understand
>> it. The Fleur de Lys changed to being a gastropub under the new
>> management. I don't know if the Bird in Hand became a gay pub as
>> such, but it seems a likely possibility.
>
> The BiH already was, AFAIK.

OK, so I guess it's now the gay pub rather than just a gay pub?

Fevric J Glandules

Jun 19, 2008, 6:00:41 PM6/19/08
On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 21:19:25 +0000, Paul Treadaway wrote:

[Bird in Hand]

> OK, so I guess it's now the gay pub rather than just a gay pub?

Sounds like it.

How come cam.misc seems to know everything about everything except
which pubs are currently "gay-friendly", or however you want to put it?

Stephen Borrill

Jun 20, 2008, 4:10:26 AM6/20/08
On Jun 19, 10:19 pm, Paul Treadaway <paul.treada...@dial.pipex.com>
wrote:

The only gay pub in the village?

--
Stephen

pedg

Jun 20, 2008, 4:50:13 AM6/20/08
On 19 Jun, 12:08, Theo Markettos <theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
wrote:

> The Green Man is a still trying to be a gastropub, and had a refurbishment a
> year or two ago

The bar area at the Green Man was re-refurbished again (or probably
more correctly slightly restyled as it was not closed for as long) a
couple of months back and has gone from lots of exotic lagers and one
beer on handpump (which was usually timmy taylors) to 3 beers on hand
pump (TT, broadside and an IPA) with a corresponding reduction in the
number of exotic lagers.

Paul

charliejuggler

Jun 20, 2008, 4:55:51 AM6/20/08
Fevric J Glandules wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 21:19:25 +0000, Paul Treadaway wrote:
>
> [Bird in Hand]
>
>> OK, so I guess it's now the gay pub rather than just a gay pub?
>
> Sounds like it.
>
> How come cam.misc seems to know everything about everything except
> which pubs are currently "gay-friendly", or however you want to put it?

My spies tell me the Bird is 'the' gay pub, and has rather marvellous
purple flock wallpaper...

Brian Watson

Jun 20, 2008, 5:54:49 AM6/20/08

"Jules" <jules.rich...@remove.this.gmail.com> wrote in message

Sure, but a few sons of the desert and offspring of Chinese manufacturers
removing to the new, more expensive, accommodation at the top of the price
scale should free up some more premises further down.

stephen

Jun 22, 2008, 4:40:24 PM6/22/08
> > Did someone say the Fleur de Lys is shut too?

When I passed the Fleur earlier it had a sign saying it was shut for a
few days for an anniversary makeover.

stephen