Google meta characters

Peter

Jun 15, 2021, 1:08:37 PM6/15/21
It used to be the case that if a word was preceded by a plus sign, then
that word would be in the results. And double quote marks round a
phrase would ensure that that phrase was in the results. But it seems
that Google no longer works as it did. Can anyone tell me what meta
characters do what now? (Supposing that "meta characters" is the right
term.)
--
The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here
Abraham Lincoln at Gettysburg

Fevric J. Glandules

Jun 15, 2021, 2:10:54 PM6/15/21
Peter wrote:

> It used to be the case that if a word was preceded by a plus sign, then
> that word would be in the results. And double quote marks round a
> phrase would ensure that that phrase was in the results. But it seems
> that Google no longer works as it did. Can anyone tell me what meta
> characters do what now? (Supposing that "meta characters" is the right
> term.)

This page explains all
https://www.google.co.uk/advanced_search

Double quotes can be used around a single word to ensure it's present.

Theo

Jun 15, 2021, 5:28:44 PM6/15/21
Fevric J. Glandules <f...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> This page explains all
> https://www.google.co.uk/advanced_search
>
> Double quotes can be used around a single word to ensure it's present.

Random tip of the day: putting "" in ebay searches forces it to search for
exactly the words you typed, rather than its idea of what you wanted.

Theo

Peter

Jun 22, 2021, 11:37:54 AM6/22/21
Fevric J. Glandules wrote:
> Peter wrote:
>
>> It used to be the case that if a word was preceded by a plus sign, then
>> that word would be in the results. And double quote marks round a
>> phrase would ensure that that phrase was in the results. But it seems
>> that Google no longer works as it did. Can anyone tell me what meta
>> characters do what now? (Supposing that "meta characters" is the right
>> term.)
>
> This page explains all
> https://www.google.co.uk/advanced_search

Crumbs-a-monkey! So Google is useful after all!

> Double quotes can be used around a single word to ensure it's present.

Mark Carroll

Jun 22, 2021, 12:01:04 PM6/22/21
On 22 Jun 2021, Peter wrote:

> Fevric J. Glandules wrote:
(snip)
>> This page explains all
>> https://www.google.co.uk/advanced_search
>
> Crumbs-a-monkey! So Google is useful after all!

Like Google Docs: just enough that, given the alternatives, the value is
often worth the pain, but not much more than that.

-- Mark