H.Gee up for sale

Theo

Feb 12, 2024, 4:56:19 PMFeb 12
The building formerly containing H.Gee is up for auction on 6 March:
https://www.cheffins.co.uk/property-auctions/lot-view,94a-mill-road_4831.htm
Sounds like it's in bad shape structurally after the fire in 2019.

Also up for auction is the 'Roll On Blank Tapes' ex-shop on Gwydir St:
https://www.cheffins.co.uk/property-auctions/lot-view,2a-gwydir-street_4830.htm

I didn't know that, according to a CEN article, H.Gee took on the stock of
Roll on Tapes when they closed in 2002. Was there any connection between
the two?

Theo

Tim Ward

Feb 12, 2024, 5:08:44 PMFeb 12
On 12/02/2024 21:56, Theo wrote:
> The building formerly containing H.Gee is up for auction on 6 March:

https://www.cheffins.co.uk/property-auctions/lot-view,94a-mill-road_4831.htm
> Sounds like it's in bad shape structurally after the fire in 2019.

There's kit from H. Gee still in use in my house.

--
Tim Ward - 07801 703 600
www.brettward.co.uk

Jacob Nevins

Feb 13, 2024, 12:40:58 PMFeb 13
Theo <theom...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>I didn't know that, according to a CEN article, H.Gee took on the stock of
>Roll on Tapes when they closed in 2002. Was there any connection between
>the two?

It's certainly a longstanding notion that there was.

This is the 2008/2015 forum thread on which the recent CN piece[1]
appears to be (more or less entirely) based:
http://www.wereallneighbours.co.uk/idlechat/message.php?id=31941

[1] https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/mystery-behind-abandoned-roll-blank-21306810

tony sayer

Feb 13, 2024, 1:47:18 PMFeb 13
In article <uqe4t8$1nidl$1...@dont-email.me>, Tim Ward
<t...@brettward.co.uk> scribeth thus
>On 12/02/2024 21:56, Theo wrote:
>> The building formerly containing H.Gee is up for auction on 6 March:
>>
>https://www.cheffins.co.uk/property-auctions/lot-view,94a-mill-road_4831.htm
>> Sounds like it's in bad shape structurally after the fire in 2019.
>
>There's kit from H. Gee still in use in my house.

I think that most everyone went there at some stage!, i passed there on
my way back from school in what, 1962 or 3 was it? gathering the
components for some whizz project out of Practical Wireless later
Wireless world, don't think young son Phil was there till around the
time or much later around the time of young Mr Alan Hardy.

Bit of a Cambridge institution that was, i hope they put a Blue Plaque
commemorating the place! worded thus.

"At one time a spare cassette recorder belt was stocked here for any
machine ever made"

Anyone know when he opened his shop?, suppose the Radiospares catalogue
at that time was around an eight of an inch thick!

Was surprised to see the old name up of another old institution
"Barneys" that was the place that supplied the cheapest clothes in the
town, if anything came from there you were much derided at school;!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/qt6hSsnhhJNGsSgN9
--
Tony Sayer