RUSA news for August -- permanents returning

Bill Bryant

Jul 28, 2020, 9:50:08 PM7/28/20
to calrando
Dear NorCal randonneurs & randonneuses,
Below is a note from RUSA HQ this afternoon. There won't be any calendared events in August, but the newly reworked permanents program will begin on August 1-- hooray!
Bill B.

Summary - Events will stay closed for August; Permanents will open August 1, Awards will resume with some differences.

Full details of the new Permanents program will be shared in the next couple of days along with the registration process for the program and for individual rides as well as submitting results.  A one time fee of $10 will cover program registration for the balance of 2020; there is no per-ride fee.

Awards will resume effective August 1 as follows:
- distance awards will resume including Khound, Mondial and Galaxy
- R-12/P-12 will resume from where the member left off, continuing for as many months as it takes to reach 12.  No doubling up will be required to make up missing months in December through March.  Members have the option to delay their restart until RBA-scheduled events resume or some earlier date, TBD.  Detailed mechanics are being sorted out and website updates will be required (e.g. R-12 string started in Nov, left off in Feb (4 months), restart in Aug, 8 more months to go).
- American Explorer - we are advising against accumulating new States/Territories at this time.
- Coast to Coast, RUSA Cup, Scout, American Randonneur Challenge - all depend on RBA-scheduled events; any required adjustments to these, if any, will be dealt with later.
- Ultras - unaffected.

There is nothing normal about the pandemic situation nor are we indicating some return to normal, rather we are acknowledging that our members are riding their bikes right now.  Opening Permanents allows them to do that within the RUSA framework.  We do not want to provide any incentive for members to leave either their riding comfort zone or their pandemic bubble, which is why they have some flexibility in restarting R-12 & P-12.