Randoplan.com for brevet weather forecasting

Rob Hawks

Mar 28, 2024, 12:11:21 PMMar 28
to Rob Hawks
Hi all,

I am usually late to the party, but it may be that some of you don't know yet about a weather forecasting app made specifically for randonneuring. Brian, who created the app, has so far left word to be spread on a person to person basis and has not made any grand public announcements, so like me, some of you hadn't heard about it yet. I was tipped off to it earlier this week.

Brian is a PBP ancien, and rides a majority of brevets that my region (CA: San Francisco) hosts, so he easily has a randonneur's perspective on what weather info is helpful to us. (He just may have ridden in your region too.)

Please go to https://www.randoplan.com/ and check out the app. There are similarities and some overlap with Epic Ride Weather (ERW), but there are some features that are new when comparing it to ERW. One that I like is the ability to select a source of data for forecasting. Like ERW, Randoplan can use Apple Weather Kit, but you can also select from others on a drop down menu. Another feature I liked that Randoplan has is the ability to enter planned stops. I used that to forecast out my team's fleche route and listed stops of 1-2 hours.

The Randoplan app is free to use, however, please consider donating via the donate button you will see in the upper right of the display. This will help Brian further enhance the app (perhaps by adding more weather data sources, and/or other source apps for route information (OpenRunner for our friends in Europe?)). Also, if you have questions or comments for Brian, you can send those to: randop...@gmail.com

rob hawks
RBA, San Francisco Randonneurs