News from RUSA HQ

Bill Bryant

May 15, 2020, 8:58:46 AM5/15/20
to calrando
Hi Gang--
Some news, both bad and good, from RUSA headquarters and president Dave Thompson:

Our hold on sanctioning events will extend at least through the end of June.

Most states are still experiencing community spread.  Testing and tracing are not up to the standards promulgated by our national health organizations.  Social distancing is still encouraged nationwide.  While we can come up with ways to help keep our riders safe, running events can have an impact on communities whether that's through virus transmission or the risk of accidents.  As a result, our Pandemic Response Committee has recommended that we extend the hold through the end of June.

The RUSA board has voted and accepted that recommendation.

From our website:  Randonneuring is long-distance unsupported endurance cycling. This style of riding is non-competitive in nature, and self-sufficiency is paramount. When riders participate in randonneuring events, they are part of a long tradition that goes back to the beginning of the sport of cycling in France and Italy. Friendly camaraderie, not competition, is the hallmark of randonneuring.

As a riding community, we have shared goals and awards recognizing our achievements.  It's the camaraderie that makes us a club.  When we open, it should be nationwide.  That doesn't mean that every RBA will be forced to run events but they should have the ability to do so, working with their local riders.  Opening now, on a geographical piecemeal basis, with a heavy emphasis on solo riding, would be abandoning much of what makes up our sport.

Permanents and insurance

We have some good news to share!  Effective May 1, we have a new insurance program that includes permanents.  However, it's not a simple matter of flipping a switch.  We have work ahead of us - Deb Banks, John Lee Ellis and Crista Borras are working as a committee on the details of the revised program.  We have major system changes to make and organizational work to do.  Crista, John Lee and Deb will be reaching out to existing route owners to get the organizational work underway in parallel with our web team work.

A restart of permanents will be incorporated into the recommendations from our pandemic response committee.

More details on insurance and any required changes will be shared before we reopen any RUSA riding.  Stay tuned !

Bonne route and stay healthy,

Bill Bryant

Scott Cowan

Jun 21, 2020, 1:52:21 AM6/21/20
to Bill Bryant, calrando
Dear Randos:

I’ve been thinking that one thing to get started now when so much is on hold is a custom build bicycle — my "lifetime bike” that I can pass on to sons too, since, let’s face it, I won’t be riding it more than a couple decades — not much more even if I”m very very lucky —  and it will outlast me ;-)

I want a light rinko machine,I think, not unlike the one Peter Weigle showed at the Concours de Machines.  He is on the far other side of the continent, alas.  Perhaps worth a trip there, nonetheless.  Please share your advice/experience and forward to those you know who would like to share thoughts about:
Important considerations (700c vs 650B…components to plan for, wheel sets, braze-ons…geometry…everything!)
Artisans who build beautiful machines like those of Weigel and who have shops close(ish) to San Francisco.

Don’t be afraid to tell me I should consider another way to go.

My goals:
Absolutely perfect fit/geometry for me
Sturdy/Durable/super reliable
Lightest weight to accomplish that
Great for randonneuring; Darn fine for self-sufficient backpacking
Accommodate 40mm+ tires with fenders
Ease of breakdown for cars, trains, busses, planes...

I am already, and will always remain, grateful for your thoughts.

KTRSD,
Scott
Scott Cowan
415-370-2916
**Review me on Yelp**
SFLearns.com
Co-Founder of BATS: The BayAreaTutoringSummit.org, California’s premier professional organization for educational service providers

Eric Walstad

Jun 21, 2020, 4:43:14 PM6/21/20
to Scott Cowan, calrando
Hi Scott,

John Fitzgerald of Fitz Cyclez in Santa Rosa built the bike I rode in
France. I don't know if he has experience with Rinko, specifically,
but as for the rest of your parameters, I think he'd be able to
accommodate you. I am quite happy with my bike and the entire
interaction with John before, during, and after the design/build
process.

https://ewalstad.smugmug.com/Cycling/2019/2019-08-PBP/i-3Rm9WLZ/A
http://www.fitzcyclez.com/

Hth,