Santa Cruz Randonneurs 2024 Season Preview

Bill Bryant

Oct 12, 2023, 10:27:30 AM10/12/23
to calr...@googlegroups.com

The Santa Cruz Randonneurs 2024 events will have a variety of distances for riders of all abilities to test themselves on. Our routes are in California’s beautiful Monterey Bay and Salinas Valley regions. Most of the rides will be at our familiar Santa Cruz start/finish, but two others will be in King City.

Our season kicks off in February with a series of three populaires to help riders get ready for the longer distance brevets, and to start earning RUSA’s Rouleur award. And for the 100 km ride, a chance to burn some calories before a Super Bowl party.

There will be a full Super Randonneur series of brevets, 200-300-400-600 km from March through June. The Fort Romie 200 km brevet explores John Steinbeck’s “Long Valley” and will provide aspiring 600 km riders a chance to see the southern end of the Surf City 600 km route in daylight. We have also reconfigured our 300 km and 600 km routes’ so that there will be less riding in the busy traffic around the Half Moon Bay area, and our Santa Cruz 300-400-600 km brevets will be near the full moon for better night riding.

In early April there will be a special 300 km brevet that traverses the Big Sur region. With a Monday morning start in King City, traffic should be lighter on the beautiful and challenging coast highway. La Voie Berg will be a ride worth playing hooky from work!

Our season ends with a fun DART populaire team event that all riders can enjoy, and it counts toward the Rouleur award.

Sunday, February 11 – Pescadero 100 km populaire

Sunday, February 25 – San Gregorio 130 km populaire

Sunday, March 10 – La Honda 150 km populaire

Saturday, March 23 – Fort Romie 200 km brevet – King City start/finish

Monday, April 8 – La Voie Berg 300 km brevet – King City start/finish

Saturday, April 20 – HMB-Marina 300 km brevet

Saturday, May 25 – San Gregorio-Greenfield 400 km brevet

Saturday, June 22 – Surf City VI 600 km brevet

Saturday, July 6 – 8-hr/120 km DART populaire (Teams with 3-5 riders design their own route to reach the finish in Santa Cruz.)

Entries for the 2024 SCR season will open on Saturday, January 13. All participants must be a member of Randonneurs USA, so don’t forget to join or renew your membership at least a week before your first event.

Bonne route!

Bill Bryant & Lois Springsteen

Paul Liu

Feb 2, 2024, 12:12:34 PMFeb 2
to California Randonneurs
Hi Folks,
I'm interested in riding La Voie Berg, which is scheduled for April 8, but the Big Sur map (https://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/highway_conditions.html) still shows closures on Highway 1 at Lucia as well as Nacimiento Fergusson, with an estimated reopening for Highway 1 of late spring.  Any thoughts on whether this ride will actually be feasible by April?

- Paul
Paul Liu
RUSA #1629

Bill Bryant

Feb 2, 2024, 7:11:26 PMFeb 2
to Paul Liu, California Randonneurs

Hi Paul,

It looks like the road closure will not be open in time for our planned route. We have a Plan B lined up, though. The Voie Berg 300k will now be an out-n-back from King City to Carmel to Big Sur, and then back to King City and 300 kms. We’re unhappy we can’t do the big loop for the second year in a row, but hopefully that will happen in 2025. For now, the 2024 route will be a good brevet and offer the northern part of the route. We’ll put up the new RWGPS in a few days.

Bonne route!

Bill Bryant

Santa Cruz Randonneurs