Caliper on C code

Shashank Srikant

Dec 6, 2012, 10:20:54 AM12/6/12
to cal...@googlegroups.com
I've found Caliper to be of good use while trying to benchmark Java code.
Thanks for the library, guys.

I'm trying to perform the same kind of benchmarking on C/C++.
The libraries available in gcc (timespec) produce a lot of noise while measuring nanoseconds elapsed.

Hadn't/Haven't you considered trying to replicate your method in trying to time C code?

If you have and didn't manage to successfully design it, may I know what roadblocks you came across?

Gregory Kick

Dec 12, 2012, 2:29:02 PM12/12/12
to cal...@googlegroups.com
Much of the Caliper runner is pretty Java-specific.  In C/C++ you don't have to worry about JIT or GC.  I'm working on a doc that explains the methodology a bit more completely, but I wouldn't expect that many of design choices for the runner would apply.

Sorry for the really unsatisfying answer.

--
guava-...@googlegroups.com
Project site: http://caliper.googlecode.com

This list is for general discussion.