Caliper shows EXPECTED results... confirming my biases. But my regular benchmarks don't confirm them.

Kevin Burton

Jul 26, 2013, 4:31:09 PM7/26/13
to cal...@googlegroups.com
I just ported some benchmarks to Caliper.

It's benchmarking an implementation of using Unsafe for ByteBuffer style data management instead of going through DirectByteBuffer.

It's showing that my strategy is 3x faster.

BUT... my regular benchmarks, pre-caliper, show that they are on par in terms of performance.

So what's a good way to prove that Caliper is showing me the right results?

How would I reverse engineer caliper's strategy into a standalone Main that I can re-exec and prove that Caliper is correct?

Kevin Bourrillion

Jul 29, 2013, 1:29:59 PM7/29/13
to cal...@googlegroups.com
imho.... you're never going to prove that anything is correct.  You can read about Caliper's methodology and decide what you think of it.  You can review the source code and decide whether you think it implements the documented methodology correctly.  You can post these benchmarks here and ask the community for input.  At some point you just have to decide what you trust.

guava-...@googlegroups.com
Project site: http://caliper.googlecode.com
This group: http://groups.google.com/group/caliper

This list is for general discussion.
To report an issue: http://code.google.com/p/caliper/issues/entry
To get help: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/ask (use the tag "caliper")

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "caliper" group.

Kevin Bourrillion | Java Librarian | Google, Inc. | kev...@google.com

Kevin Burton

Jul 29, 2013, 1:41:49 PM7/29/13
to cal...@googlegroups.com
Agreed.  I'll review this and see what's up.