Master Files Explained Videos released

wols...@gmail.com

May 19, 2021, 1:11:29 PM5/19/21
to CaLIGHTs
I just finished creating a new playlist containing several videos discussing master files. Learn more about taking quality master FLATs.  Take a deep dive into what master BIAS and DARKs can tell you about your camera.  I had to break up the video dealing with master BIAS and DARK frames into six parts...too much to discuss.  I also present my results from evaluating DARK current in four different cameras. Nikon D5300, Canon 750D, QHY294C and ASI2600MC Pro.

Peter

wols...@gmail.com

May 28, 2021, 10:34:12 AM5/28/21
to CaLIGHTs
There was some screen flicker happening at the beginning of the BIAS and DARKS Part 3 video.  I redid this video and managed to get rid of the flicker.

Peter

Scott Kuchma

May 29, 2021, 3:26:36 PM5/29/21
to CaLIGHTs
Hi Peter . Yup , the Video looks very good . Any idea what caused the flickering ?
Scott.........

wols...@gmail.com

May 29, 2021, 7:36:47 PM5/29/21
to CaLIGHTs
Scott,
The video originally looked fine on my computer...before I uploaded it.  I am guessing that some sort of data compression at Youtube's end might have caused it.  For the 2nd try I fiddle with the bit rate of the video which dramatically reduced the file size.  I was always puzzled by the file size because they are powerpoint presentations with my audio...no "live action" at all.  The good thing is that I believe I can reduce the bit rate even further.  The image resolution remains the same but the transitions from image to image become not as pretty.  I did try a how-to video with CaLIGHTs that used the low bit rate.  The video looks great so I am learning about videos right now.  Got to get ready for tonight.  I have to train my mount's PEC logic.  I did some mechanical work on the mount trying to reduce backlash and I know that the PEC logic will be affected by this work.

Clear Skies

Peter

Scott Kuchma

May 30, 2021, 4:45:58 PM5/30/21
to CaLIGHTs
Hi Peter ,

How did the Mount PEC Training go ? Success ? Will we ever get some clear skies this Spring ? I can't believe we actually had snow the other day . Mad rush to bring all the Pots into the garage to try and save the Spring Flowers .

Did I mention I got a Wedge for my Alt/Az Mount ? Did I also mention that I found some issues with it ? I'm working with the Dealer (who's been great) and Celestron to try and resolve the issue . Last effort was a few Videos showing the issues .

I've got some pre-Imaging chores ahead as I need to re-do the StarSense Calibration to try and get a much higher degree of accuracy with the standard OTA and StarSense before adding the Wedge and doing an ASPA .

I'm hoping to be able to increase my Exposure times by 1-2min which will give me a much better SNR .

We had to remove two large trees this Spring and this has opened up a viewing space on the backyard Patio instead of the front yard . Can't wait to see if this will meet this year's expectations .

Cheers ,

Scott............

wols...@gmail.com

May 31, 2021, 10:23:56 AM5/31/21
to CaLIGHTs
Scott,
PEC training went well. I believe that the resulting PEC is actually quieter.  Fast transitions in PEC causes guiding issues and the new PEC is smoother.  I hope to add a post to my website www.astrohobby.ca when I get a rainy day. Saturday night I imaged M13 and last night I imaged M81.  Also, that new lightpanel I bought seems to be working out...another post on the website when it rains.

Very cool that you got a wedge.  You are going to learn lots...just be prepared for some frustrations.  I don't know anything about using a wedge.  I look forward to hearing about your longer exposures and eliminating the image rotation that occurs without a wedge.

In what compass direction were those two trees?

Peter

Scott Kuchma

May 31, 2021, 3:47:46 PM5/31/21
to CaLIGHTs
Hi Peter ,
We only look forward to rainy days so you can update your Web Site with new stuff . LOL .

There is sadly little info on using a Wedge but this week AstroQuest1 posted a video on doing an ASPA using the hand controller and his steps will mimic what I will need to do once I get that far .
I'm hoping I will hear back from Celestron this week with either a solution or a resolution on the Wedge issue . Actually I may Share the Google Drive Folder with you so you can see the videos I took .
Since you are an Engineer , you may find this interesting . Basically the problem lies with the Altitude Adjustment Rod and associated hardware .
At the end of the Rod are two Knurled Locking Nuts surrounding a coupling separated by two nylon spacers . These are held in place by two L-Brackets to the Wedge Baseplate .
When the Rod is turned to adjust the Altitude it binds on half its rotation and is loose for the other half . Not a smooth adjustment in either direction at all .

After taking everything apart I found that the face angle of the the two Locking Nuts was not at right angles to the threaded rod but at a slight angle which introduced the binding .
If the grub screws that tighten the locking nuts to the threaded rod were left loose the faces were perpendicular to the threaded rod and all turned smoothly and evenly in both directions .
Problem with that is the Knurled Locking Nuts will eventually work their way off the threaded rod . There seems to be a tolerance issue between the threaded rod and the locking nuts .
I've added several layers of pipe tape the the sections that the nuts reside over and this has helped...a bit .

As to the two trees , it depends . From my normal Front Yard location one was North by Northeast . The other was Northwest both seen over the roof of the House .
I am considering moving to the concrete Patio out the back door as I will now have clear views from NNE through SSE with a bit of West sky .
This might turn out better as I can then leave the Scope gathering Data and sit in the Kitchen and be able to keep an eye on the Scope . Couldn't leave the Scope unattended in the Front Yard .

Busy Season ahead .