CaLIGHTs Version 3.1.0.81 Released

wols...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2020, 7:07:59 PM12/6/20
to CaLIGHTs

Latest Revision 3.1.0.81

-Found a HUGE bug in the Bad Pixel logic. It’s been there since day 1 and it rendered this logic all but useless.  Please accept my humble apologies. The good news is that this feature now works very well indeed.  The bad pixel logic will identify bad pixels if you specify the “Master BIAS for DARK frame” or the “Master DARK” or both. You can even specify “None” for DARK Subtraction so that only the bad pixels are corrected.  You might want to experiment with this just to learn more about how CaLIGHTs calibrates your LIGHT frames.

-Added logic that removes the DC offset from the “Master BIAS for LIGHT frames” for DSLR users. This was causing calibrated values to be offset significantly depending on whether a master BIAS frame was used.

-The image being used for the Calibrate Preview screen was not being clipped at zero and 65,535 counts.

-Modified the Noise Filter logic so that it uses multiple processors.  The time required for noise filtering has been significantly reduced.

Scott Kuchma

Dec 6, 2020, 7:36:21 PM12/6/20
to CaLIGHTs
Hello Peter ,

I think an OMG is in order . To the best of your ability , what should we expect to be the negative downside to all our previously Processed Images due to this Bug ? Will we actually notice ? Should we be redoing all of our Lights ?
Unless the end result will a yield significant positive improvement , I doubt I will tackle a complete redo of everything I've done so far mainly because everything else in my Processing chain has updated as well .DSS , SiriL , DeNoise Ai and FastStone are all on much newer Releases than when I started . I may try one or two just to see the effect your latest Release has on my Images .

Sidenote , I am unable to post any Light Frames to DropBox or any other Site at the moment . My poor old Laptop is giving me some issues at the moment . Sorry .

Scott...........

wols...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2020, 8:51:02 PM12/6/20
to CaLIGHTs
Scott,
The bug only affect how well the bad pixel logic was able to detect and correct bad pixels.  The DARK optimization also helped to correct bad pixels.  So did the noise filter and the bad pixel filter.  There are several layers of noise filtering in CaLIGHTs which all operate in different ways.  You can certainly revisit one or two of your imaging sessions.  I always do when I think I can do a better job.  This is not a "throw everything out and start over moment".  It's a "I wonder if that very noise imaging session of that galaxy is any better now"?

Peter

Scott Kuchma

Dec 6, 2020, 9:41:08 PM12/6/20
to CaLIGHTs
OK Peter , thanks . I'll download this latest version tomorrow and try some of the last Images I got .

Scott Kuchma

Dec 8, 2020, 6:39:06 PM12/8/20
to CaLIGHTs
Just a Test to see if this Forum is Posting again .
Scott....