New Release of SiriL v0.99.10

Scott Kuchma

Jun 15, 2021, 8:17:48 AM6/15/21
to CaLIGHTs
SiriL has released another Beta version of their upcoming 1.0 Software . They have also updated the On-Line Help and Tutorials .
This Section was extremely interesting but over my head . I think Peter will enjoy it .

The Main page discussing the latest release news is here...

I may have to give their Stacking Program a try (if I ever get some Imaging done this year) .
I also see that DSS has a new version out , v4.2.6 ! Anyone tried this yet ? Any conflicts with CaLIGHTs ?

Hoping for some clear nights...

Scott............

wols...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2021, 12:22:45 PM6/16/21
to CaLIGHTs
Scott,
My standard processing is CaLIGHTs -> DSS -> Startools.  I have never seen any issues using DSS with CaLIGHTs.

Thanks for keeping me in the loop with Siril. I am fully occupied right now taking photos.  Last night was outstanding 4 hours imaging M101 Pinwheel Galaxy.  Really late nights.

Peter

Scott Kuchma

Jun 16, 2021, 4:16:16 PM6/16/21
to CaLIGHTs
Hi Peter ,

Are you now using the latest version of DSS ? The reason I mentioned it is due to some of the new changes...

Welcome to DeepSkyStacker 4.2.6

Here are the main changes since DeepSkyStacker 4.2.5

  1. Fix for oversaturated pixels wrapping to black (centre of stars or galaxies are black).

  2. Fix De-bloom processing code to prevent assertion failures in GetPixel() code.

  3. Upgrade LibRaw to snapshot 202101 (new camera support).

  4. Fix to prevent crash when processing FITS file that is not monochrome but has BAYERPAT keyword in the header that isn't NONE (force CFAType to none).

  5. Fix TIFF code handling of accented characters in file path (fix in 4.2.5 was incomplete).

  6. Add code to check that it is possible to write files to the output directory and terminate processing with an error message if not.

  7. Fix copy to clipboard of "Picture List"

Also the reference to Siril was for the Article discussing Synthetic Bias . I'm sure you'll understand this more than me .

Glad you're out Imaging . I hope to get out tonight myself .

Cheers ,

Scott..........

wols...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2021, 4:25:32 PM6/16/21
to CaLIGHTs
I am use DSS 4.2.6 Beta 2.  I have not updated CaLIGHTs to LibRaw 202101 yet.  The CaLIGHTs FITS contain BAYERPAT keyword and DSS interprets it correctly.  Monochrome LIGHT frames generated by CaLIGHTs do not contain the BAYERPAT keyword.
I think there is nothing of concern to CaLIGHTs users in the latest version of DSS.

I have not looked at the video yet but the phrase Synthetic Bias is not common.  PixInsight has what they call a SuperBIAS.  I will look at the Siril video to learn about what a Synthetic Bias is.

Peter

Scott Kuchma

Jul 30, 2021, 2:12:09 PM7/30/21
to CaLIGHTs
Hello Peter ,

Just checking in and wondering what you have been up to . Not a lot of Astrophotography would be my guess . Bit of a horrible 2021 Season so far . I doubt we'll see really clear skies until Autumn .

Scott...............

wols...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2021, 11:02:55 PM7/30/21
to CaLIGHTs
Scott,
Astrophotography opportunities are rare this year.  Forest fire smoke is really bad and what the heck is it with all this rain and clouds?  I am running my system right now...imaging the Cave Nebula. It's a very dim object and there seems to be a big hole in the blanket of smoke right now.  I am using my EdgeHD with the 0.7 reducer, a light pollution filter and my QHY294C.  The camera is cooled to -10C and I have the GAIN cranked to 2500. This combo is suppose to have very low read noise. I am taking 5 minute exposures.  My autoguiding is roughly 0.55" total rms. I plan to stick with it until the skies fall apart...hopefully until 2AM. I tried to get a few cat naps today so I wouldn't be overly tired.  It looks like the skies are improving for the next week so I will be out as much as I possibly can.

I have been working on CaLIGHTs.  I did a lot of research on the noise filter and I believe I now have a more effective filter.  I guess I am a little selfish because I want to test it out using brand new data instead of reprocessing an old image.  Hopefully I can release a new version early in August.

I have been using that light panel I bought on Amazon.  I like it a lot. It's extremely light weight, draws very low USB power, and puts out tons of light that can been dimmed to any level.  Once I have the mount polar aligned and calibrated I do a quick focus on a bright star and then take my FLATs and DARKFLATs. I then get PHD2 up and running and tell the mount to GOTO the target DSO. Finally, I perform another focus when the mount is positioned at the imaging target but I think the change in focus is very slight and therefore does not invalidate my FLATs.

I am seeing lots of satellite trails tonight.  DSS should have no problems producing a clean image.  The Cave Nebula is visible in my photos so I am happy.

Clear Skies

Peter

Scott Kuchma

Jul 31, 2021, 12:16:04 PM7/31/21
to CaLIGHTs
Hi Peter ,

Glad you've be able to get some Imaging done this Season . I haven't passed a single photon through my rig since November 2020 ! I also had to send my Wedge back to Celestron . I just couldn't resolve the mechanical issues with it .

They'll send me a new , tested unit once they have them in Stock again in the US . Maybe by the time I get the new Wedge the weather will have improved and the smoke washed away .

Saturn is at Opposition on Aug 2nd . Could be an opportunity there .

Cheers ,

wols...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2021, 2:15:37 PM7/31/21
to CaLIGHTs
Scott,
Good move to send back the Celestron Wedge. Your pictures/videos of the mechanism clearly showed it wasn't up to the test. The cloud and smoke makes it a little easier to wait for a replacement.

The skies fell apart around 1:30AM last night...I carried on to 2AM and shut it down for the night.  I ended up with 3.5 hours of images. My focus was not great but I hope I can tighten up the image in post processing.

Thanks for the heads up about Saturn.  I don't have much of a Southern sky to view where I am but I did notice that Jupiter was in view at 2AM when I was tearing down my rig.

Clear Skies,

Peter