CaLIGHTs v3.1.1.0 Released

wols...@gmail.com

Jan 11, 2021, 2:25:52 PM1/11/21
to CaLIGHTs

Latest Revision 3.1.1.00

-I updated CaLIGHTs to use version 0.20.2-Release of LibRAW which is the latest version.  The LibRAW folks state that 1133 different DSLR cameras are now supported.

-New features added to Calibrate Preview screen.  Left mouse button click &drag of the image is now possible.  The mouse wheel can be used to zoom the image.  If you position your mouse on a region of interest and then click the right mouse button a small green square will appear along with some statistics.  The box is a 60 x 60 pixel square that is centred on your mouse position.  The statistics are calculated for the red, green and blue pixels in the superpixel debayered image.  Means, Standard Deviations and signal-to-Noise ratios are calculated.  Here is an example…

N=900 Pedestal=600

Xmin=2224 Xmax=2284 Ymin=1632 Ymax=1692

Red     Mean=151.2  SD=32.2  SNR=4.7

Green Mean=159.2  SD=30.4  SNR=5.2

Blue    Mean=76.2  SD=28.7  SNR=2.7

I need to explain these values.

- The best way to use these statistics is for you to select a region of interest that is devoid of stars.  These regions are where the noise in your LIGHT frames typically limits how much you can stretch your astrophotos when you are post processing.  The goal is to make changes to how CaLIGHTs will calibrate your LIGHT frame and use these statistics to quantify any improvements.  Increasing the SNR in an individual LIGHT frame has a cumulative improvement on your final astrophoto as you perform stacking and digital development.

-N=900  This is the number of data values used to generate the stats for each colour.  The 60 x 60 pixel square of RAW values has been superpixel debayered to 30 x 30 RGB pixels.  30 x 30 = 900

-Pedestal=600  This is the pixel value that CaLIGHTs believes corresponds to total darkness.  Depending on what settings you are using, this Pedestal value will equal either the Black ADU value extracted from your RAW DSLR file or FITS file, your custom Black ADU value or the mean value of the pixels in your master BIAS for LIGHT.

-Xmin=2224 Xmax=2284 Ymin=1632 Ymax=1692  These are the X and Y values that define the 60 x 60 pixel square.  These values are scaled so that they are the correct values for your calibrated LIGHT frame.

-Red  Mean=151.2  SD=32.2  SNR=4.7  These are the statistics calculated for the Red pixels.  Mean is the mean value of the 900 red values. Note that the Pedestal value has already been subtracted.  SD is the standard deviation of these 900 red values. Standard deviation is a good indicator of noise.  SNR is the Signal-to-Noise ratio which equals Mean / SD.  These values are similarly defined for the Blue pixels.

The statistics for the green pixels are calculated slightly differently. The superpixel debayer algorithm averaged the green pixels because there are twice as many green pixels as there are red or blue.  This averaging causes the SD value for the green pixels to be smaller than the red or blue pixels by a factor of 1.414.  This would make you think that the green pixels have much less noise which I believe is misleading.  I decided, for the green pixels only, to increase the SD value by 1.414 so that it is straight forward to compare the SD and SNR values for all three colours.

-Fixed a bug in how CaLIGHTs writes calibrated fits files for dedicated astrocams.  Astrocams typically generate LIGHT frames that are fits files and the fits headers in these files can become quite long. CaLIGHTs was not creating valid calibrated fits files when the fits headers were excessively long.

-I have also begun implementing multi-processor support in CaLIGHTs.  The noise filter in version 3.1.0.92 had already been modified to support multi-processor CPUs.  With my 2 core computer this significantly reduced the time required to perform noise filtering.  This multi-processor support has been expanded to many aspects of how CaLIGHTs calibrates your LIGHT frames.  The row noise filter showed the biggest reduction in execution time. As a simple comparison, I calibrated 28 LIGHT frames using master DARK, FLAT, DARKFLAT and BIAS frames. I also included the Noise Filter, the Bad Pixel Filter and the Row Noise Filter. No binning was performed so that the calibrated fits files were the largest. Version 3.1.0.92 took 172 seconds. Version 3.1.1.00 took 133 seconds.  If binning is used these times actually go DOWN!  This happens because the Noise Filter and the disk writing occur after binning.

-It worth noting that CaLIGHTs has been written to be frugal with RAM memory so that it can handle the biggest LIGHT frames without requiring the user to add lots of RAM.  To perform the above mentioned calibrations required roughly 125Mb of RAM.  Each LIGHT frame was 16 bit 11MPixel.

Scott Kuchma

Jan 13, 2021, 3:56:07 PM1/13/21
to CaLIGHTs
Hello Peter ,

Thanks for the heads-up on the new Release . We were just talking about where you were and what you might be up to . Now we know !

Cheers ,

Scott......

wols...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2021, 9:34:09 PM1/13/21
to CaLIGHTs
Scott,
Right now I am in the process of building a website to feature my astrophotos and my software.  I will let everyone know when my website goes live.

Peter

Scott Kuchma

Jan 14, 2021, 10:27:29 AM1/14/21
to CaLIGHTs
Hi Peter ,

Excellent news about the Website . I've been encouraging various people to come here for information on CaLIGHTs but a Website should get more visibility and possibly Google hits .
You have been busy .

Scott...............
Message has been deleted

Scott Kuchma

Feb 7, 2021, 4:20:58 PM2/7/21
to CaLIGHTs
Hi Peter ,

I don't think my Email to your qm-address went through so I'll Post here as I know this works .

Congrats on your Web Site ! It is very professional and I like the layout a lot . Well organised and easy to navigate . We are all looking forward to what comes next from Peter Wolsley !

Cheers ,

Scott...................

wols...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2021, 4:00:07 PM2/9/21
to CaLIGHTs
Scott,
Thank-you for your kind words.  Setting up the website has been a real education for me.  I redid the astronomy photos section using a slicker image viewer.  Have a look if you get a chance.  BTW, I don't know if you ever watch CHCH TV in Hamilton.  On their Sunday Night news at 6PM they have a weekly Astronomy report from Mario Carr.  It typically takes place around 6:15PM.  Mario is going to feature my Heart Nebula photo.

Peter

Scott Kuchma

Feb 9, 2021, 4:50:47 PM2/9/21
to CaLIGHTs
Hi Peter ,
I did see the new Layout . I've been checking in every day to see the new Images . As to the CHCH TV spot , I hope you mean Sunday the 14th otherwise I've missed it . I just got the CaLIGHTs alert today , the 9th .
I'm looking forward to some better weather . I'm going to get rusty by the time I can drag the Scope out again .
Cheers ,
Scott......

wols...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2021, 9:04:32 PM2/9/21
to CaLIGHTs
Scott,
I can't believe I forgot to specify the date.  It will be this coming weekend  Feb 14th, 2021.  I suspect that Mario is going to weave in a Valentine theme into his presentation.

Peter

Scott Kuchma

Feb 14, 2021, 6:36:59 PM2/14/21
to CaLIGHTs
Ahhh ! The Heart Nebula for Valentine's Day . Very nice . 22 seconds of fame eh ? You got your Web site , CaLIGHTs and yourself mentioned on TV ! What's next we wonder ? LOL .
I'm curious if your Web Site has a Visitor Counter ? It would be interesting to see if you get more hits since the CHCH-TV Spot .

Scott...........

wols...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2021, 9:58:26 PM2/14/21
to CaLIGHTs
Scott,
I am a bit embarrassed and totally blown away.  I just thought Mario would be trying to put together a report with a Valentine theme.  I didn't expect him to say so much about me.  It's fantastic publicity.  22 seconds of fame...I'll take it!
I do collect statistics for the website.  It has been pretty slow this week.  Yesterday there were 9 visitors to the site.  So far today there has been 91.  I highly suspect that by tomorrow the #  of visitors will go back to normal.
Please install and use the new version.  I have checked it out as much as I can so I depend on my users getting back to me if something's not right.  I'm really lucky that I have a DSLR and an astrocam.  The two cameras are very different and I am learning all of their quirks.

Peter

Scott Kuchma

Feb 15, 2021, 3:20:51 PM2/15/21
to CaLIGHTs
Hi Peter ,

I haven't downloaded the latest CaLIGHTs yet . I've got absolutely nothing to Process or Re-Process . I see that Siril is on v 0.9.98.1 Beta 3 so I'll probably wait until the full v 01.0.0 Release Candidate before I try running some Images through again .
They seem to have re-written the Deconvolution Section and the Colour Saturation Section all for the better by the sounds of it . I'm looking forward to including the Deconvolution next time around . I'm readying my Spring Wish List and hoping that Celestron will have their Annual Spring Sale Event . I'm hearing snippets that they won't as Sales are already through the roof and lots of most items are on backorder as is . We'll see .