Big Bear Lake/Holcomb Valley action

Ross McClintock

Jul 7, 2012, 10:21:01 PM7/7/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com

Some years ago I read of an incident during the Big Bear Lake gold rush (Early 1860’s).  As San Bernardino had lost its legal infrastructure due to the Mormon recall coinciding with the gold discovery in Holcomb Valley/Big Bear area, a band of miners led by an Australian rough began terrorizing the county.  The San Bernardino Co. Sheriff Anson Van Leuven called for the Army to come help.

Supposedly the Army rounded up about 40 or so hooligans and executed them.

Can you shed some light on this?

I received the info from the SB Co. Sheriff’s dept. but have nothing in writing

Thanks,

Ross

John P Boal

Jul 7, 2012, 11:07:49 PM7/7/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com

Ross, I don’t have any information but if you do get any response I would love to know as well. Thanks, John Boal, Upland CA

Jim Suess

Jul 8, 2012, 4:28:26 AM7/8/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com
    I've studied the early history of San Bernardino County and don't remember reading about such an incident of where the army was called out and rounded up 40 "hooligans" an executed them. During this time, I believe Camp Latham was the closest military post ( California Volunteers ) to San Bernardino just before the founding of Drum Barracks at San Pedro.

    But this coming Monday I can refer to you an old  historical publication on the early history of San Bernardino that can be found in many libraries in Southern California. Never heard of San Bernardino ever losing legal infrastrastructure. In the mean time, this may help some. ->  <  http://books.google.com/books?id=D9gRgb6K3yAC&pg=PA13&dq=San+Bernardino+County.+Sheriff+Anson+Van+Leuven&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Ezz5T-mLJqvE2QXrxrCWDg&ved=0CD0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=San%20Bernardino%20County.%20Sheriff%20Anson%20Van%20Leuven&f=false  >

Jul 8, 2012, 3:11:59 AM7/8/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com
Ross

Interesting name.  I work in the history archives section of the Petaluma branch of  the Sonoma County Library.  I would suggest that you contact the
San Bernadino County history archive librarian, NOT the reference librarian.  I am sure they have records of such events.  I know we do.

Ross

Jul 8, 2012, 2:53:16 AM7/8/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com
Anything involving the US Army, should be archived in Sacramento.  Try there ...

Jul 9, 2012, 6:56:54 PM7/9/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com
   If it happened, it should be found in this book. " Heritage of the Vally : San Bernardino's first century " by George William Beattie. Published in 1939

Jul 9, 2012, 8:32:37 PM7/9/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com
A book like that should be in the San Berdo library and if not a reference book, could be checked out if you have a current library card  from your locale.  I have done it in the past and it works just fine,  You could, if a reference book, ask the librarian there to help in looking it up..

Charles Christian
W6...@sonic.net
Santa Rosa, CA

libr...@aol.com

Jul 10, 2012, 6:38:57 PM7/10/12
to california-mi...@googlegroups.com
... or check in the archive section, where I volunteer.  These are non-circulating reference books.  These
are the books that regular books are based on.