Fw: Re: California Military History: Big Bear Lake/Holcomb Valley action

Lloyd Ploutz

Jul 9, 2012, 7:39:01 PM7/9/12
to John P. Boal, CW2 John Garvey, Dan Sebby

Gentleman,
   I have talked to every one that I know in Southern California who are historians for E Clampus Vitus.  There is little help on this subject.  Jim Suess is about the best sorce for the area in question.
                                             Best Regards,
                                     Lloyd G. Ploutz, Historian
                         Chapter 58 Stanislaus/Merced Counties.

From: Ross McClintock <ramccl...@gmail.com>
To: california-mi...@googlegroups.com
Date: Saturday, July 7, 2012, 7:21 PM

Some years ago I read of an incident during the Big Bear Lake gold rush (Early 1860’s).  As San Bernardino had lost its legal infrastructure due to the Mormon recall coinciding with the gold discovery in Holcomb Valley/Big Bear area, a band of miners led by an Australian rough began terrorizing the county.  The San Bernardino Co. Sheriff Anson Van Leuven called for the Army to come help.

Supposedly the Army rounded up about 40 or so hooligans and executed them.

Can you shed some light on this?

I received the info from the SB Co. Sheriff’s dept. but have nothing in writing

Thanks,

Ross